Studio Speakers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barezi6

Studio Speakers

Post by barezi6 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi community.

I am searching and trying to choose the best speakers for me, i am new on the world of music production, but i am learn and now i seeing good speakers for my studio.

i want to know and things and features is most important on speakers? i dont have amplifier, or other external instruments, i only have a midi keyboard, akai apc40 and my computer, now i need the speakers, i will produce, house music,dance music, this style of music.

What speakers you advise me?

if anyone can give me some tips and helps, it will enormous for me.

Thank you very much

Opz

Re: Studio Speakers

Post by Opz » Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm

No.1 question: What's your budget?
On average, bigger budget will get you better monitors.

Never buy anything just because someone tells you so. Your own room is unique to your situation, if possible always try monitors at home before buying anything. When checking in the store bring along music (quality cd, no mp3 crap) you know really well and know how it should sound before deciding to buy something.

Way way way back I started of using regular HiFi speakers :)
Then bought a set of Yamaha HS-80m's.
Added a (single=mono) Avantone Mixcube (for reference purposes).
Now I'm using Adam A7X's (instead of the Yamaha's), which I really enjoy using.
Dreaming of Focal, Barefoot, PMC etc :)

Personally I don't like Genelec. KRK have some nice monitors, so many choices.
Let your ears be the judgement!

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Opz wrote:No.1 question: What's your budget?
On average, bigger budget will get you better monitors.

Never buy anything just because someone tells you so. Your own room is unique to your situation, if possible always try monitors at home before buying anything. When checking in the store bring along music (quality cd, no mp3 crap) you know really well and know how it should sound before deciding to buy something.

Way way way back I started of using regular HiFi speakers :)
Then bought a set of Yamaha HS-80m's.
Added a (single=mono) Avantone Mixcube (for reference purposes).
Now I'm using Adam A7X's (instead of the Yamaha's), which I really enjoy using.
Dreaming of Focal, Barefoot, PMC etc :)

Personally I don't like Genelec. KRK have some nice monitors, so many choices.
Let your ears be the judgement!
Thanks for the answer Opz, i cant test the speakers on my room and them buy. i can only buy first and them use on my room. I have some like 250-300€ to spend on the speakers

Fernando Carvalho

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I would say KRK RP5s
Cheap, small but got punch
For beginners and dance music they are perfect

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Fernando Carvalho wrote:I would say KRK RP5s
thanks for the answer fernando.

People, maybe i need a subwoofer or with studio speakers i dont need subwoofer?

Opz

Post by Opz » Sun May 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Subwoofers should be used with care (due to room acoustics for example, bass is omni-directional), they're easily overrated and you can always check the bass end on some quality headphones. I would focus on buying some nice monitors which give you a good indication of your bass. Better to save up some money and get some nice monitors before investing money for a subwoofer in my opinion.

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Opz wrote:Subwoofers should be used with care (due to room acoustics for example, bass is omni-directional), they're easily overrated and you can always check the bass end on some quality headphones. I would focus on buying some nice monitors which give you a good indication of your bass. Better to save up some money and get some nice monitors before investing money for a subwoofer in my opinion.

nice, now i understand why david guetta, afrojack, hardwell, steve aoki and many others uses quality speakers without subwoofer.

Thanks for the help i will keep learning and choose the best monitors for me.

Thanks so much :)

matthews

Post by matthews » Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 am

In that price range I'd also consider the HS-50m's

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 am

if you were going for rokit's, for 300 euro you could get a pair of 6's or 8's

probably the way to go if you want to know what's going on in your low end at all. I am eternally kicking myself for going cheap and settling for 5's.

as stated above, get some monitors with decent low end, most 5 inch's will lack any good reproduction in that range, and don't worry about a sub until you've got your monitoring environment treated.

Fernando Carvalho

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Mon May 21, 2012 3:43 pm

antarktika wrote:
if you were going for rokit's, for 300 euro you could get a pair of 6's or 8's

probably the way to go if you want to know what's going on in your low end at all. I am eternally kicking myself for going cheap and settling for 5's.

as stated above, get some monitors with decent low end, most 5 inch's will lack any good reproduction in that range, and don't worry about a sub until you've got your monitoring environment treated.
If his room is small and not treated at all (normal situation), I still think is better 5 inch.

donmich

Post by donmich » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I was curious about the speakers Monolake was raving about in his interview on the front page of the site. Are they distributed in NA?

djanciano

Post by djanciano » Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I think rule nr. one is: don't use a subwoofer
MacBookPro 15" MacMini I5, Ableton Suite 9 64/32 Bit, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC20, Audio 2 DJ, Samsung 27", KrK Rockit 5, KrK Headphones, Kontrol S4, Ipad 2 TouchAble, TouchOSC, LoopTastic & Studio HD

http://soundcloud.com/djanciano

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 pm

djanciano wrote:I think rule nr. one is: don't use a subwoofer
Hi

Yeh my room is small and i think that the monitors that we are talking about have some mini configuration, that help to config with the best configuration for this room, am i correct?

I saw this Yamaha and it it seems good, more tips to help me with the choose of the monitors?

Thanks so much

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 pm

I couldn't be happier with my Mackie hr824 MkII's. No sub needed.
A bit over your price range, but with monitors or PA gear I believe that money well spent will last for a long long time.

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am

Honestly... if this is your first foray into 'studio' monitors and you have 250-300$, then it really does not matter what you buy. In this price range they are all made in china. Also, you have no experience to know what you like or dislike. Basically, regardless of what you get you will be shocked at how they sound and you will have to spend months learning them. Anything from the main brands in the 5" range will be fine. Once you have them, focus your attention onto your room. Treat it as a stepping stone to the next level of speakers should you decide you need them in the next 2 years.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller