Putting all the pieces together (my dj/production gear)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Illuminator

Putting all the pieces together (my dj/production gear)

Post by Illuminator » Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 am

At the moment I have an

- APC 40
- 2 CDJ 200
- 1 DXM06 mixer
- Laptop

Is there anyway that i could connect all of these individual pieces into one dj set, basically can i connect my cdj 200 and DXM06 mixer to either my APC40 or my laptop??

Illuminator

Re: Putting all the pieces together (my dj/production gear)

Post by Illuminator » Wed May 23, 2012 4:25 pm

bump

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I would tend to go the other way, run the cdjs and the output from your soundcard all through the mixer. Obviously you'd need a mixer with more than 2 channels to do this....

I guess you could run the cdjs through the mixer, then take the master out from there and run it into an audio track in Live, then mix this with your live set 'in the box'. Should work in theory, but never tried it...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 am

What would I do with the APC40 then?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 am

Well the APC40 is just a midi interface. It doesn't have audio i/o, so you can use it to control Live. Whether that means using it to mix your live set which then goes out to your DJ mixer, or using it to mix your live set and the input from your mixer in the box is up to you...

If you have a soundcard with 2 stereo inputs, you could even do without mixer, feed both CDJs directly into audio tracks in Live and mix everything with the APC. Again, never tried this, but should work in theory...
ob1techno.com

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 am

ollyb303 wrote:Well the APC40 is just a midi interface. It doesn't have audio i/o, so you can use it to control Live. Whether that means using it to mix your live set which then goes out to your DJ mixer, or using it to mix your live set and the input from your mixer in the box is up to you...

If you have a soundcard with 2 stereo inputs, you could even do without mixer, feed both CDJs directly into audio tracks in Live and mix everything with the APC. Again, never tried this, but should work in theory...
Actually the APC-40 is not an interface. Like The MPK49 or Maschine. It's a Midi controller only. As far as it's use with Ableton. Djing stand alone or in conjunction with the CDJS. You can use the APC and live for samples, Loops, builds, fills, synths, you can run the CD players in line with Live or Out from a mixer maybe even do a little remixing on the fly or perhaps just use it for production only. Ableton has so many uses, modifications and can practically be personalized to suite your every need. it can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. I've been Djing since 95. I've played on just about everything out there and just about every major piece of DJ software. I hardly touch my CDJS anymore. Theres really no reason for me to. I keep them in my studio for when people come by to play. My transition to live was pretty awkward. It took me a while to let go of habits that formed over 15+ years of djing. All that wasted time spent, on cueing, beat matching, listening for that perfect moment to make you transition, pitching and repitching. That time is now free to create. Your DJ mix and performances become more complex, harder to duplicate and most important original. The best part of Ableton is, there is finally a way to separate the truly talented from talentless. I use to be dead set against live. I thought it was a simple matter of click and play. This is a huge misconception among the DJ community. Those out there that perceive things in this manner. You're in for a big surprise and more then likely endanger of extinction, due to failure of evolving. Here is my current setup. I can do everything short of launch nukes... I'm working on it though. http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 0989_n.jpg
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Of course it's an interface! It provides a link between human and machine, therefore it's an interface in the same way a mouse or keyboard is...
ob1techno.com

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Grant, my jaw dropped to the floor when i looked at your setup. That is beyond SICK!! Holy shit, i actually copied and saved that image too...so dope dude...rock on man, so happy to hear people who have been seen it all and embrace all the new toys available. Live is an incredible program, but since I have tables I don't want them to rot away and want to find use for them.

So what I would need to do is basically,

feed my cdj 200s to my numark mixer,
then feed that mixer directly to my cpu (through headphone jack)
and then from there connect my APC40 as well? (through usb?)

Would I need separate audio outputs for the APC 40 and the Numark Mixer, or can they share the same output that the Numark mixer would be connected to?

If that's all correc i guess all i need are a pair of rca cables and a single stereo input. Am i getting this right?

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Fri May 25, 2012 8:42 am

Illuminator wrote:Grant, my jaw dropped to the floor when i looked at your setup. That is beyond SICK!! Holy shit, i actually copied and saved that image too...so dope dude...rock on man, so happy to hear people who have been seen it all and embrace all the new toys available. Live is an incredible program, but since I have tables I don't want them to rot away and want to find use for them.

So what I would need to do is basically,

feed my cdj 200s to my numark mixer,
then feed that mixer directly to my cpu (through headphone jack)
and then from there connect my APC40 as well? (through usb?)

Would I need separate audio outputs for the APC 40 and the Numark Mixer, or can they share the same output that the Numark mixer would be connected to?

If that's all correc i guess all i need are a pair of rca cables and a single stereo input. Am i getting this right?
I would run the CDJS through Ableton and my PC first, then Back out to the mixer. Doing it this way would require an external sound card with 1 in 1 out although people will tell you, that you need an external with 2 in 2 out You can actually use your onboard soundcard for the other. I've played a lot of shows with my onboard. I haven't had any issues, with quality, Latency or glitchs. I do also have an external as well. I use live in a different way. You can do it the way you're talking about, but there are some things you need to be aware of. The first this is the posibility of creating a feedback loop. If you don't watch what you're doing. The second major thing is, The 2 Channel Numark mixers only have 2 phone & 2 Lines. You would not be able to route your PC and CDJS to this mixer at the same time using the method you speak of.
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm

[quote="Illuminator"]Grant, my jaw dropped to the floor when i looked at your setup. That is beyond SICK!!/quote]

Seriously??

It is quite common around here to see setups similar or far surpassing that. No offense to Grant bla bla bla.. but that is not nearly as spectacular as some of the shit with see in the setups thread. Some of which is as "beyond SICK" as the magical Kingdom itself on how it all goes together.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Illuminator wrote:Grant, my jaw dropped to the floor when i looked at your setup. That is beyond SICK!!
Yeah? Look again. Where are the monitors, eh? That set up's all mouth and no trouser!
:P

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Sat May 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I don't know what the hell either of you are yapping about, but i stand by my previous statement.

Grant, that setup is BEYOND SICK! :D

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Wed May 30, 2012 12:40 am

andydes wrote:
Illuminator wrote:Grant, my jaw dropped to the floor when i looked at your setup. That is beyond SICK!!
Yeah? Look again. Where are the monitors, eh? That set up's all mouth and no trouser!
:P
Yeah... I actually just use my onboard laptop speakers... :roll:
I forgot to set my monitors up in the place, You think they look cool. This is comon sense to most out there. The ones that actually know what they're doing. For the rest of you. here you go. http://thedspproject.com/studio-monitor-positioning