Using Moog Low Pass Filter during playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nennena

Using Moog Low Pass Filter during playback

Post by Nennena » Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 am

Hi,
I acquired a wonderful Moogerfooger 101 Low Pass Filter and want to make a tutorial/review video for it to share on my YouTube channel.
I need help in figuring out how to set up the pedal in Ableton Live 8 (with which I am pretty familiar, except, obviously, in this instance) so that I can manipulate a track and record the manipulation (as automation) in the same way I would do with a MIDI Controller.
I hope I was able to explain the idea. Basically, I would like suggestions on how to use the analog pedal as I would a plug-in in order to record in real time what I am doing with the pedal on top of a track I have previously recorded.
I believe this is possible.
Thanks!
Nenne

Rabalder

Re: Using Moog Low Pass Filter during playback

Post by Rabalder » Sat May 26, 2012 8:02 am

If you want to record your 101-tweaking you need to do it through a midi controller. The 101 cant send its parameter settings anywhere. It can only receive.
Just remember that hardware like the moogerfoogers have a very different behavior than software. If you havnt read the 101-manual I suggest you do. The moogerfooger manuals are very informative in terms of control voltage and audio in general.

People normally use a midi-to-CV converter for modulating CV-gear from a computer, but check this out: http://abltn.com/more-on-control-voltag ... r-support/

I personally only use converters, never tried direct output from my interface.

Nennena

Post by Nennena » Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 am

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I have read the MoogerFooger manual and also the Ableton manual (p.303) that explains how to use an analog pedal with Ableton, but I wanted to know if anyone out here knew how to do this and would share their knowledge.

So, you are saying that I should map my MoogerFooger in Ableton and tweak the settings with a MIDI controller. Does anyone know the steps of MIDI mapping an analog pedal in Ableton?

Thanks!
Nenne

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

First of all you need to find out how you want Live to communicate with your moogerfooger. This means how do you want the midi information inside Ableton Live(generated by a midi controller or drawn in as modulation) to be converted into control voltage which is the only type of signal your mf101 understands. A midi-to-CV converter is what most people use for this task, but in the video-link you see someone using their audio interface as the actual converter. Only some interfaces support this..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I think any audio interface with 'balanced' outputs can send CV..
you can try and see if your soundcard qualifies..
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 26, 2012 12:33 pm

about recording the fxed audio
check out the 'external audio fx' device..
or simply route the audio out to the fx then back into live..
(some latency is unavoidable)

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Sat May 26, 2012 1:24 pm

To be clear to the only way to control the Moog is through control voltage. You could conceivably do some sort of Midi to CV conversion using either an audio interface that supports the CV signals (as mentioned above) or use a standalone box to do the MIDI to CV conversion.

Nennena

Post by Nennena » Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and the links you sent. Everything looks great and is very useful.

Just quickly: what do you think is the quickest way to route the audio out to the MoogerFooger and then back into live? (with the least amount of latency possible?)

Thanks!
Nenne

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 pm

audio effects :arrow: external audio effect