Exported Wav file help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stone_r

Exported Wav file help

Post by Stone_r » Fri May 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Can anyone help with this as it's driving me nuts. Everytime I export into .WAV and then try to play the file in Windows Media Player I get a message 'Windows Media Player Encountered a Problem Whilst Playing The File..blah blah blah'. Even when I try to convert to MP3 (and other formats too) I get the same message and the thing just won't play. I'm not sure if the exported file actually contains any sound as it just won't play. I've tried different media players too but the same thing, no message but you press play and the file opens but just hangs there doing nothing. I get sound via Ableton (Live 8) so I'm completely baffled. Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Tarekith

Re: Exported Wav file help

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Are you exporting as 24bit?

Stone_r

Post by Stone_r » Sat May 26, 2012 4:45 pm

No, not 24 bit. This is what my export settings are (nothing out of the ordinary):

Rendered track = Master
Normalize = Off
Render as Loop = Off
File Type = Wav
Convert to Mono = Off
Sample Rate = 44100
Bit Depth = 16 Bit
Dither Options = Triangular
Create Analysis File = Off

I've had successful exports before but this time it just won't have it. It's like the Wav file isn't properly finalised or something as it just won't play.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Send it over if you want me to look at it real quick, you can find a file uploader via the link in my signature.

Stone_r

Post by Stone_r » Tue May 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks Tarekith, would u like the .wav file or the Ableton Live Set file (is this the .als file?). I really hope I can find a solution as I usually work with Cubase and I can export to a .wav file no problems. The first time I do something with Ableton and this happens. The recording is only of 2 guitars doing and acoustic rendition of a Sterophonics song which though far away from the final product I would really like to be able to use it outsideof Ableton.

Stone_r

Post by Stone_r » Wed May 30, 2012 3:08 pm

I've now managed to get the actual wav file to play. I have narrowed the problem down to 1 of the following -If Ableton is still open when attempting to play the wav file via WM Player it comes up with the error message or I've disabled all add ons and codecs etc. Got to be one of these.
This though hasn't solved my problem though as when I do play the file its nothing but silence, totally blank. Can anyone shed any light on this, am I not doing something right in the export process?
Thanks in anticipation for any help (and before I'm drawn back to usiing Cubase instead!)

Stone_r

Post by Stone_r » Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Problem now solved. Basic error if anyone else experiences this - my output type was set to Ext Out and not Master. Changing this gave me a nice crystal clear wav file.

phillytomcat

Post by phillytomcat » Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Ty guys. I had that same problem over the weekend.

danteZav

Post by danteZav » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 am

Omg this is drivingme nuts too.. where exactly do you find these settings please??>... and fuck you ableton, really fuck you. this should be a default setting. Ugh!
Stone_r wrote:Problem now solved. Basic error if anyone else experiences this - my output type was set to Ext Out and not Master. Changing this gave me a nice crystal clear wav file.

danteZav

Post by danteZav » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 am

this is terrible.. a brand new copy of ableton I have not messed with the setting at all. I just bought it, unpacked, made music and rendered my wav file but it's epty. it plays but it has no sound.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 am

danteZav wrote:... and fuck you ableton, really fuck you. this should be a default setting. Ugh!
Uh.. It is a default setting unless someone changes it.

the option to render MASTER has changed I would guess. Otherwise it's a setting in the I/O Master Channel In Ableton.

No idea why I just offered assistance with that attitude but what the Fuck ever.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 am

It could also be where you are exporting from. Make sure you have ARRANGE view as the screen visible and then select Export.

I wish people would spend some time playing and researching before demanding answers. Oh the things one learns.

danteZav

Post by danteZav » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 pm

oh trust me I researched this for more than 4 hrs. otherwise I wouldn't be this mad if it was just something as simple as making sure I recorded it all to the arrangement view, select it all then go to file/export audio,vodeo. I watched ableton's "how to render your project as an audio file video", "how to create a WAV file video" and every other video about this on youtube. and I still get no sound out of my files. so my only solution was to rewire ableton into Acid because I had to submit this wav file for a music class. and no I did not change any settings. again, I bought it, installed it, created something then tried to export it. that's it.

Vios

Post by Vios » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Sounds like a problem with Ableton Live's export engine. Have you tried reinstalling Ableton Live?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm

what about the settings in the pic that jestermgee posted?

no mention of whether those are the settings being used... is "rendered track" set to "Master" or not?