Extracting bassline from a disco loop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jezjonson

Extracting bassline from a disco loop

Post by jezjonson » Sun May 27, 2012 1:56 am

Hi

I have a really good disco loop and part of it is a really cool bassline.
I tried EQing the entire loop and the bassline sounds good, even with some of the other frequencies heard slightly.
However, there is a lot of hiss and it's a bit muddy. Is there a better way of making a clean bassline from a disco loop?

thanks in advance JJ

beatmunga

Re: Extracting bassline from a disco loop

Post by beatmunga » Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 am

As you know, you can't turn a cake back into eggs, flour and sugar. So be prepared to compromise:

1. Low pass filter. Should remove all hiss.
2. Replay with synth (sampled bass patches are usually horrible)
3. Replay with bass guitar. Lots of bassists around, many who will work for beer.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

jezjonson

Post by jezjonson » Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 pm

beatmunga wrote:As you know, you can't turn a cake back into eggs, flour and sugar. So be prepared to compromise:

3. Replay with bass guitar. Lots of bassists around, many who will work for beer.
great advice - thanks.

but are these; 3 separate suggestions or are all 3 reliant on each other or in an order of priority.

sorry to be pedantic, but really want to know the best way thru' this. :D

alphadelphi

Post by alphadelphi » Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 pm

4 - use melodyne

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Mon May 28, 2012 3:08 pm

jezjonson wrote:
beatmunga wrote:As you know, you can't turn a cake back into eggs, flour and sugar. So be prepared to compromise:

great advice - thanks.

but are these; 3 separate suggestions or are all 3 reliant on each other or in an order of priority.

sorry to be pedantic, but really want to know the best way thru' this. :D
No, not all three - ranked in reverse order of ballache/authenticity.

3 being maximum of both.

Can't speak for melodyne. Are we sure it can do this? May be able to retune it, but solo it? Is it that clever?
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Rampus

Post by Rampus » Mon May 28, 2012 3:12 pm

beatmunga wrote:...Can't speak for melodyne. Are we sure it can do this? May be able to retune it, but solo it? Is it that clever?
No.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Rampus wrote:
beatmunga wrote:...Can't speak for melodyne. Are we sure it can do this? May be able to retune it, but solo it? Is it that clever?
No.
Thought not.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 am

how about a program called transcriber
it will allow you to slow down play back rate and use a keyboard(has one built in)
or any instrument you play and transcribe it your self

http://www.seventhstring.com

i use it to learn guitar and bass parts all the time

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue May 29, 2012 3:59 am

low-pass filter, then melodyne, then extract to midi. will require some editing of the midi file but you'll be quite close
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 am

lunabass wrote:low-pass filter, then melodyne, then extract to midi. will require some editing of the midi file but you'll be quite close
It's a sad day when technology has so distanced the user from actual music that a person can't even sit at a midi keyboard and work out a monophonic disco bassline.

Reminds me of the 'how do i get realistic shakers' thread: several pages of advice on sample libraries and subtle timing shifts in the midi editor...

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 am

beatmunga wrote:It's a sad day when technology has so distanced the user from actual music that a person can't even sit at a midi keyboard and work out a monophonic disco bassline...
jezjonson lost his fingers in a horrific texting accident
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm

lunabass wrote:
beatmunga wrote:It's a sad day when technology has so distanced the user from actual music that a person can't even sit at a midi keyboard and work out a monophonic disco bassline...
jezjonson lost his fingers in a horrific texting accident
Manages to use Ableton, EQs, and start threads. Putting a few notes in a bar should be a piece of piss.

The nose, or any other semi rigid singular physical peninsula, would be an adequate substitute for the missing single finger needed for this kind of shit.

Or did he lose his sense of rhythm, harmony and timbre when he started using Ableton live, like so many others..?

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

It's a sad day when technology has so distanced the user from actual music that a person can't even sit at a midi keyboard and work out a monophonic disco bassline.
[/quote]

+1000

disco bassline?...cmon. figure it out and play it. yes it takes time, but the more you do it the easier it gets. thats the musical way. dj way= low pass filter.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed May 30, 2012 12:39 am

jezjonson, so it seems playing bass-lines with any protruding cartilage is quite easy. i've tried it but my nose is rather large and i find it difficult to play just one note at a time, things may be a little easier for you. i also find the application of after-touch impossible without sneezing, how did you get on?
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 am

lunabass wrote:jezjonson, so it seems playing bass-lines with any protruding cartilage is quite easy. i've tried it but my nose is rather large and i find it difficult to play just one note at a time, things may be a little easier for you. i also find the application of after-touch impossible without sneezing, how did you get on?
I'm sorry to hear that lunabass. Your proboscal surplus is the 'Radelaide' Jackin' scene's loss.