dont give out your music for free

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ub373NNN

dont give out your music for free

Post by Ub373NNN » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 pm

i dont not understand on how you feel you have to go give your music for free.
just because you went to go sell it and made no money on it you should not go give up.
your time is all worth on something. and maybe the world dont want it now but maybe one day they will pay.
sooner on later, the world will go to expect everyone to give music out as free.

i no i no TLDR...i say sorry in advanced.

simmerdown

Re: dont give out your music for free

Post by simmerdown » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 pm

yes that was very long, i could only get through 'i dont understand'

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 pm

i give out my music for free so people will hear it.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Thu May 31, 2012 7:56 am

one free thing once on a while it's not bad, but people don't want to buy music because an mp3 looks like it's worthless and thee's a ton of free ones they can listen without buying. giving all your music for free only encourage people's perception that music as no value.
that been said i will keep making music no matter if people care or pay.

o0bigs0o

Post by o0bigs0o » Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 am

Ub373NNN wrote:i dont not understand on how you feel you have to go give your music for free.
just because you went to go sell it and made no money on it you should not go give up.
your time is all worth on something. and maybe the world dont want it now but maybe one day they will pay.
sooner on later, the world will go to expect everyone to give music out as free.

i no i no TLDR...i say sorry in advanced.

Just say "on" - forget everything else

You are a Great Read :lol:
Ableton Live Suite 9.01
Windoze 7:Intel Core I7,Gen1-4GB Ram:NI Maschine:NI Komplete 9:Akai Pro APC 40:
Isotonik 8:Novation Launchpad:OktoPad 2
IPad2 64:Touchable:LivKontrol:TouchOSC

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu May 31, 2012 9:25 am

Option 1: Give nothing away or very little away. Feel like your time is worth money. Make $5 ever. (likely from people related to you). Few listeners. Few shows. This would be in todays world like Picasso painting all of his paintings and sticking them in a closet never to be seen. But man would Picasso feel great he's not letting anyone see them for free...

Option 2: Give some or all away. Make $0. Gather listeners/fans. Play lots of shows. Wish that you could make money at this but feel rewarded that your work is heard and that some percentage will actually follow your career and potentially be willing to pay for something you do down the road.

This is not commentary about the democratization of music, or the pros and cons of the internet or P2P on culture. There are many devastating effect of the situation we're in. This doesn't change the facts though. The only artists who can really charge for, and never give away, anything free, built a loyal fan base before P2P/Napster, OR... sell strictly to luddite audiophiles who want everything on physical media still.

Read this. http://leanpub.com/20things

I can't speak for anyone else but I do not do music for $5. I do it for the people and the performance and I don't feel either of those are less valuable rewards for my time than a ridiculously low royalty statement from iTunes.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Thu May 31, 2012 10:19 am

I, honestly, am not looking to be paid to play music. In fact, quite the opposite, I would prefer to be paid for something else in an amount that affords me enough to play my music however I want. On my optimistic days I like to think I'm keeping it pure, on the other days I don't give a shit.

GeoSuPhat

Post by GeoSuPhat » Thu May 31, 2012 11:42 am

Not sure what is right, or wrong about free art or music.
We do both.

Then there is this...
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 am

I give my music for free. You'll just have to pay for it.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Thu May 31, 2012 12:36 pm

i respect those ones go say they no mind giving in free.ok fine. but those more who go to do on it give the world the presperation that everyone should go to do on it and even, and i go say even make music worth NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.

and i go say the defanition of ART has to go lose it meaning these day.
Rationalizer wrote:I give my music for free. You'll just have to pay for it.
hey i no mind on it at all. i go say i wish to gladly give money for you give music.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

can i pay to have some one listen to my music? than maybe he becomes a fan and one day i can pay a show for him, he can even use the money that i've already payed him to buy the ticket, than i can give him even more money