Okay is it just me, or is the Abes summing bus kinda bad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

Okay is it just me, or is the Abes summing bus kinda bad?

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Sounds fine when I'm listening to it in the program, but when I export it to WAV, it sounds kinda wooly in a way that it doesn't when I'm mixing it. Is this the thing that everyone's been complaining about? (To be fair I'm brand new at tracking / mixing bands and this is a rough cut, but it just sounds... different).

I'm on Suite 7.

EDIT: Nope, shit was my fault. Abe's summing bus is fine. I'm just an asshole.

I turned off dithering, remixed some things, fixed up some stuff, took care of some of the bleed and messed with EQ, and voila, it sounds about 10000X better. I'm actually fairly proud of myself.

Yay for Abes! Yay for me! Sorry if anyone thought I was trolling.
Last edited by Punky921 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

contakt321

Re: Okay is it just me, or is the Abes summing bus kinda bad?

Post by contakt321 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:30 pm

are any of your channels, or plugins clipping? is your master clipping?

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Nah I compressed things gently to make sure that didn't happen. Not using any plugins either.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 pm

...not only you, but def not Live

doom_Oo7

Post by doom_Oo7 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

any dither options enabled ? export in the same bit depth / freq. than the project ?
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Punky921 wrote:Nah I compressed things gently to make sure that didn't happen. Not using any plugins either.
Can you elaborate on this?

Genuinely asking: are you well versed in using compression? (Asking b/c if you over compressed the individual channels this can be the problem)

What decibel level is your track peaking at on the master? (stretch the meter up so you can see and click the button you can see the peak)

What happens if you solo one of the loudest tracks and export it? How does that sound?

Trying to use process of elimination to determine the problem

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm

:lol:
why do people keep responding to these trolls year after year?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 pm

doom_Oo7 wrote:any dither options enabled ? export in the same bit depth / freq. than the project ?
Pretty sure, yeah.

>>>>
Can you elaborate on this?

Genuinely asking: are you well versed in using compression? (Asking b/c if you over compressed the individual channels this can be the problem)

What decibel level is your track peaking at on the master? (stretch the meter up so you can see and click the button you can see the peak)

What happens if you solo one of the loudest tracks and export it? How does that sound?

Trying to use process of elimination to determine the problem>>>

Admittedly, I am not extremely well versed. I tried to make sure that the compression was light with no more than a 1.5 ratio and a very soft knee. (I'm dealing with a cello, acoustic guitar, and vocals).

I'm not in front of it right now so I can't speak to the exact peak volume, but it's near unity.

I can try exporting the loudest tracks. What should I be looking for?

PS I'm seriously not trolling. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, if it's something I can even control, etc. Believe me, I HATE trolls on forums, and I would never willingly screw with this community. I really like this place.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Punky921 wrote:PS I'm seriously not trolling. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, if it's something I can even control, etc. Believe me, I HATE trolls on forums, and I would never willingly screw with this community. I really like this place.
Well that may be so, but your thread title looks pretty inflammatory and it also looks a lot like similar thread titles that have definitely been trolling in the past.
Unsound Designer

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm

If so, I apologize. Trolling was definitely not my intention.

I was totally ready to hear "Nope, it's just you dude." along with an explanation of why things sound differently in Abes than after I export them. Hey, maybe I'm just fuckin' up. I'm willing to entertain that notion. :)

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Punky921 wrote:If so, I apologize. Trolling was definitely not my intention.

I was totally ready to hear "Nope, it's just you dude." along with an explanation of why things sound differently in Abes than after I export them. Hey, maybe I'm just fuckin' up. I'm willing to entertain that notion. :)
i go truly believe on you that you no go to troll here.
we like to keep on this place as to helping on each other and we no like the trolls out there. they go just for atentian.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Just a thought.. guys.. "maybe your mixing and your ability need more practice?" Every week we see threads like this, its just plain annoying. I bet these threads are all created by people who have no real developed knowledge on production

So much repetition with the, "ableton audio sucks, ableton threading sucks, ableton summing sucks." But how many of these people are investing time in practicing and developing their skills?

It takes 10 years. If you want to be a good music producer, and that is assuming you have, "what it takes." Just remember that!
Linear Phase has left the building..

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Like I said, I'm a total rookie in this aspect of Ableton usage (tracking a live band). I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Are you listening to the exported song by dragging it back into Live? If so, make sure you turn of warping for that audio file when you play it back.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm

what are you using to listen to the exported wav? often people get this problem because of eq or stereo enhancement settings in media playback software..

do you have normalisation enabled in the export dialog? if so the level of the rendered file migh be reduced compared to what you here when monitoring in real time.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)