Your opinion will change my future

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ksonic

Re: Your opinion will change my future

Post by ksonic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 pm

First, let me say that if you're opening for Knife Party, congrats! Personally I would love to hear your stuff!

You need to choose the method to which you perform. DJing (in my opinion) is the easy route and pretty much all dance producers will choose this way of performing their tracks. If you choose to DJ, there are many options to which you can accomplish a performance, such as the tried-and-true 2 decks and a mixer setup (which will almost always be provided at the venue), a controller with digital DJing software, or Ableton.

It is a good idea to learn how to use CDJs and learn the basics of DJing (took me less than a day) because if your music is good enough that people want to hear it, DJing will be the easiest method to deliver it to them. Also, because CDJs and a mixer will (almost) always be provided, you should know how to use them in case your laptop fails or some other catastrophe happens.

Your other method is basically liver performance of your music, aka playing your music using digital (or analogue!) instruments. This method is much more difficult than DJing, but, in my opinion, it holds much more entertainment value. I have no experience in this method, but I'm sure if you chose it, someone here could help you out!

Also, either post or pm me a link to your music!
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:53 pm

simmerdown wrote:
gjm wrote:
ryryry203 wrote:And Yes...I convinced some guy who has never seen me live that I am worthy of an opening act. Crazy, as it seems, but that is what happened because he figured if I knew studio id know what I was doing live.
Shame on him :roll:
no, shame on you gjm...parade pisser

Lol. I am not a parade pisser. My couple of paragraphs will be nothing compared to what could come for the promoter if the OP can't deliver on his chance of a lifetime. I wish I could do business as sloppy as that...
simmerdown wrote:Leap and the net will appear
The net does not always appear :wink:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:59 pm

The best opportunities always take leaps of faith where you're out of your comfort zone, sometimes by a lot. So props to the OP for going for it and taking the chance. Better to try and fail and all that nonsense :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:The best opportunities always take leaps of faith where you're out of your comfort zone, sometimes by a lot. So props to the OP for going for it and taking the chance. Better to try and fail and all that nonsense :)
Yes, we all need to do this from time to time. My reference is not toward the OP. It was toward the person hiring him.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey no harsh feelings, I think the guy should of done his homework and found out if I knew how to live dj too, but the fact that he didn't is awesome because I have my shot now.

So I stayed up all night researching what I need to do and this is what I've learned (pending you guys approval)...

1. I could get a mixer and CDJ's but I could also get a midi controller like the Xone:D4...Ive been told its simply preference but good to know CDJ's (which I understand them just never used them)
2. I could use just the Apc-40. But what else could I get to compliment it?
3. I need the sound card, a bonus to getting the Xone:4D, but I've heard that the Xone:4d has problems with Mac OS......True?
4. The only use for the mixer is if you have cdjs and if you don't...just get a midi controller...true?
5. Can the apc-40 and done:4d be used together or is it not worth it?

I am going to get a midi fighter, I've been in love with the idea of using one, just what else should I get?

Ps- for being a forum, you guys are more help than hours of web searching, because you give it to me straight. Thanks again

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Oh almost forgot...

Allen&Heath vs Pioneer...What would you guys recommend for what I need? I have always liked A&H but Pioneer might be more affordable/the future

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:25 pm

I'd take A&H any day of the week over Pioneer, but that's just me.
Tarekith

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:The best opportunities always take leaps of faith where you're out of your comfort zone, sometimes by a lot. So props to the OP for going for it and taking the chance. Better to try and fail and all that nonsense :)
...not nonsense, with the right frame of mind

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Is there a specific midi controller that would work great alongside the Apc-40 and using ableton? And if I'm an ableton guy, should I ever try and use itch or just stay in ableton?

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:42 pm

simmerdown wrote:
...not nonsense, with the right frame of mind
Don't forget a few one liners about preparation :)

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:50 pm

...oh yes

be Prepared

thats the boy scout moto

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

if it were me (and it's not) the notion of planning the set, practicing the set, practicing the set, practicing the set, practicing the set would be the way to go here. you have a lot of time in reality. i think a lot of other people in similar shoes have had weeks or days... you have months.

sure grab a mixer but stop focusing on gear and stay focused on hear. that is to say, what the crowd is going to hear. they aren't going to walk out of the show saying "man that crappy pioneer mixer he was using fucked my whole night up". they're going to say he sucked or didn't suck. the gear won't decide that... the music will.

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:17 pm

^^Truth

I just am trying to decide if the smart move is to stay in ableton with the pac-40 and a trigger finger

or...

Should I look into getting a full controller like a DN-MC6000 and use itch?

Its funny...i don't see the music as the problem with my audience...Im trying to figure out how I can be as smooth as possible with delivery.

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm going to get a Midi Fighter (beat masher) and then see how well I can pull it off with what i got. I might get a controller if I don't feel confident enough just using the APC-40 through ableton, but you guys are right, I'm over thinking the whole live part.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Honestly, because you have little to no experience playing live or DJing, I don't see the need to throw a bunch of money at the problem by getting some of the most expensive DJ mixers or MIDI controllers made. A laptop, the APC40, and a decent soundcard are all you NEED to perform, so I say start with what you have for now. Even if you just DJ using Ableton, the APC will work fine for that, so adding a DJ mixer really doesn't give you much. Just my $.02 though.
Tarekith

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Any recommendations for sound card?

And what would a dj mixer/controller, beyond the apc-40, do for me?