MOTU Track 16- isnt it the best design to date?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: MOTU Track 16- isnt it the best design to date?

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Machinesworking wrote:The main thing I'm thinking about is eventually having some sort of line in and ADAT dedicated device for my studio and just being able to plug in the 16 Track via ADAT for working in the studio etc.
This is what I do currently. I have an RME OctaMic II with all of my mics and line ins plugged into it. I use most of the line ins on the Fireface UC for returns, so I would have to get a separate box for ADAT ins. There have always been limited options for ADAT in, as far as I know. There is only the Aphex 141 (which is $400 USD, and you need to purchase a pricey DB-25 snake as well). The only other one I know of is the Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 ($218 USD). Does anyone know of other options? Does MOTU make anything for ADAT D to A?

I'm also curious about the bus power aspect of the Track16. When you run it via USB, it needs an AC power supply. But with FireWire it can run bus power. Somehow I got it in my head that the smaller 4-pin FireWire ports didn't supply bus power. I guess that's not the case.

Lifeonmars - I doubt that the Track16 would be able to match the speed performance of your Multiface.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:. Somehow I got it in my head that the smaller 4-pin FireWire ports didn't supply bus power. I guess that's not the case.
Lifeonmars - I doubt that the Track16 would be able to match the speed performance of your Multiface.
They dont, only the 6 and 9 pin do. To match latency of Multiface? too good to happen...

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Okay. I was confused for a second there. The Track16 has FW400 on an FW800 shaped port. I thought it was the mini-FireWire ports you used to see on miniDV cameras.

Opz

Post by Opz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:I would have to get a separate box for ADAT ins. There have always been limited options for ADAT in, as far as I know. There is only the Aphex 141 (which is $400 USD, and you need to purchase a pricey DB-25 snake as well). The only other one I know of is the Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 ($218 USD). Does anyone know of other options? Does MOTU make anything for ADAT D to A?
Similar priced, more expensive or discontinued (so try to find a second hand on the internet):
Presonus has the (discontinued) Digimax FS and you get additional i/o's.
Ferrofish a16mkII does 16 i/o using ADAT (the expensive option and PC control software only as far as I can see, but the unit can be configured from the front panel as well)
There are more though, but the Behringer is the cheapest option. The converters are not all that but there are mods to improve the quality. But I would never buy Behringer, crap build quality.

stefski

Post by stefski » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 am

Opz wrote:Nice looking design indeed, maybe the best MOTU has come up with up until now.
Always liked MOTU, my old 828mkII never really failed on me.
But I like the design of my Apollo more and it sounds better :) Edit: better than my 828mkII
Before I get started: sorry if hi-jacking the original thread!

I have an 828mkII as well, taking daily long looks at the Apollo now.
  • Do you find that your Motu 828mkII just a decorational/bookstand piece now or do you still use it - for midi? Is there even a resell value?
  • What is your workaround for the Apollo's missing midi connections? Any usb to midi box in particular?
  • Is it bulky? What total depth does it require from the rack, front to wall, including space being able to jack in to the back panel connectors?
  • Does the Apollo have dc coupled outputs - could I use it to send CV out with Expert Sleepers Silent Way?
  • How do you budget purchasing the UAD plugins? What were some of the first ones you needed?
Thanks!

Opz

Post by Opz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Edit: removed the text and pm-ed it to the person asking, just so the thread won't go off topic :)

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm

rikhyray wrote: To match latency of Multiface? too good to happen...
My aging original 828's latency figures were as good as my new Fireface UC's...
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission