Transpose from Am to A

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatmunga

Re: Transpose from Am to A

Post by beatmunga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Tone Deft wrote:in college a friend of mine had a professor that assigned everyone a different topic to write about in regards to Mechanical Engineering. the students soon realized the twatwaffle was writing a book and he was using the students to write it for him. they all simply wrote "copywrite <date> blah blah" to make their work unusable. copyright your posts. :twisted:
If, as stringtapper has alluded to, music is a language, you have just proved that language is pure music Deft. Bad punctuation and workmanlike syntax, but boy that sentence spoke to my soul. Sentiment and delivery combining to make a beautiful moment far greater than the sum of its easily deconstructed parts.

I shall endeavour to use the term 'twatwaffle' in day to day discourse as much as possible from this day on.

Inspirational.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 am

The sun is out, so I'll be digging my garden today. but everything that I meant to add came out in the following posts anyway and also saved me a lot of work with a calculator working out overtone frequencies and differences from equal temperament. My main point being that only the first two overtomes are needed to contruct the 12 tone scale, which is then adjusted to equal temerment. and that it's just a great cooncidence that those notes fall close to natural harmonic ratios beyond the second overtone.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Just jump straight to the diminished unison.
Unsound Designer

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:28 pm

explain circle of fiths. and show how by starting at F and moving round you first produce a major pentatonic scale and ultimately all the white notes. Then you introduce the word diatonic and talk about the different modes, with emphasis on the major and minor.

read wiki about the word diatonic, how it comes from the name of a greek tetrachord lyre tuning and how the major scale can also be generated by stacking two diatonic tetrachords - yet another wonderful coincidence - or is it synergy.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Can anyone here point me in the direction of a lead sheet for 'Smack My Bitch Up'?

It's just that the Village Harpsichord Society are wanting to have a crack at it for the Summer Fête next month.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:04 am

btw, pitch is a subjective thing, so there is no direct correlation between frequency and pitch.

also, your into to waves is wonky. there are two main kinds of waves, longitudinal (side to side) and transverse (up and down). sound waves and water waves at the beach are not transverse waves as you suggested. sound waves are longitudinal waves that emanate from a source (e.g. a speaker cone pushing and pulling air). and the water waves at the beach that you described are actually a combination of longitudinal and transverse waves.

have a look here:
http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/w ... otion.html

and here:
http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/rad2/mdq.html

twitterytom

Post by twitterytom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 pm

this thread is funny because of the clash of two almost stereotypical personalities

the ignorant house producer kid who makes "tunes" vs the academic with elbow patches who tries to use terminology to impress

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

twitterytom wrote:this thread is funny because of the clash of two almost stereotypical personalities

the ignorant house producer kid who makes "tunes" vs the academic with elbow patches who tries to use terminology to impress
well thats a bit harsh referring to someone as ignorant and talking about stereotypes when ironically your post came across as stereotypically ignorant!
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

twitterytom

Post by twitterytom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm

kev herb wrote:
twitterytom wrote:this thread is funny because of the clash of two almost stereotypical personalities

well thats a bit harsh referring to someone as ignorant and talking about stereotypes when ironically your post came across as stereotypically ignorant!
i wouldn't say my post is stereotypically ignorant. i guess it's a bit shallow and exaggerated. i wasn't being entirely serious.

twitterytom

Post by twitterytom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:57 pm

funken wrote:
crumhorn wrote:explain circle of fiths. and show how by starting at F and moving round you first produce a major pentatonic scale and ultimately all the white notes. Then you introduce the word diatonic and talk about the different modes, with emphasis on the major and minor.

read wiki about the word diatonic, how it comes from the name of a greek tetrachord lyre tuning and how the major scale can also be generated by stacking two diatonic tetrachords - yet another wonderful coincidence - or is it synergy.
ok crumhorn, I will be guided by your, er, guidance, so am "on it" as they say (in NCIS).
ok, trying to say something actually constructive. i don't know if it makes sense for you to go into much theory in your blog (like circle of 5ths etc). maybe that's defeating your original point and will turn off your core audience who came just for some simple advice on how to hit the right notes.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Funken I promise to review all your stuff but I'm a bit too busy with other stuff that I've been neglecting at the moment - bills got to be paid, etc. Will come back when I've got time to look at it properly.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:09 pm

funken wrote:I never learned the COF because I was a guitar player and so I couldn't see much point. I can see how it would be useful for keyboard players.
I still don't get this line of thinking about being a guitar player making basic theory principles ormpedagogical tools somehow inapplicable. There's nothing inherent to the design of the circle of fifths that lends it to being more or less applicable to any particular instrument that I can think of. Maybe a steel drum designed as a circle of fifths?

funken wrote:Charlie Goes Down And Eats Breakfast For Calories :D
The best one I've ever heard is

'Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle'

There you have the order of sharps starting with G major/E minor and going clockwise around the circle of fifths.

But the best part is

'Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles's Father'

Reversing it gives you the order of flats starting with F major/D minor and going counterclockwise around the circle of fifths.

The circle of faiths can tell you all kinds of information relevant to tonal harmony, like the fact that if you pick any key and move clockwise the next key is the root of the Dominant of the original key, but the next four keys are the roots of each of the secondary dominants that can be used in the original key.

So from C, one key over is G = V, then D = V/V, A = V/ii, E = V/vi, and B = V/iii. (And then of course C itself serves as the root of V/IV, the IV chord being the next key over counterclockwise from the original key.)
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:41 pm

funken wrote:I think it's more useful for keyboard players because they have to worry about sharps all the time. For a guitarist all you need is shapes and where you are along the fretboard, and even then it's partly down to continuous shapes. Once you start playing lead guitar in A minor pentatonic you can be pretty much all over the whole fretboard without ever stopping to think what the actual notes are, apart from focusing on your roots now and then to keep track. You are more bothered about doing tricks with pulloffs and bends and whatnot. Also guitarists do all sorts of weird stuff. When I wasn't playing funk I sometimes dabbled in heavy metal for a change, and I was doing a lot of riffs out of diads played the opposite way round to normal (ie the root being the highest)

Of course guitarists have to know the WWh WWW h stuff.
I'm sorry, "piano players have to worry about sharps all the time"? :lol:

Fist of all there's plenty of piano music written in flat keys. Second of all there's plenty of music for guitar that's written in sharp keys.

I think what's going on here is that your quote really should be "For a guitarist playing pop music all you need is shapes and where you are along the fretboard." Not everybody lives strictly in the pop world where everything is done by ear or in your head. Some of us have gigs where we need to read or even sight read in addition to playing by ear.

Almost seems like we need a "style disclaimer" for some of these tutorials. (i.e. "This is all you need to know to make dubstep." :lol: )
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 pm

funken wrote:Hey I've not really looked at the flats in great detail yet, despite putting them into a table with html code, but I just realised that Charlie Goes Down And Eats Breakfast works for that too, plus the F at the beginning. Father Charlie? Fat Carol?

Hmm.. this just leaves FBEADG

I got it... Father Brian Eats At Dawn, Goodmorning!
The thing is you're listing the keys themselves when most people use these mnemonic devices to learn the order of the accidentals. The two are related of course, it's just that for the order of sharps you would start on F (F# being the lone sharp in G major/E minor) and for the order of flats you would start on B (Bb being the lone flat in F major/ D minor).

So the order of sharps as they appear in consecutive keys clockwise around the circle of fifths:

FCGDAEB

And the order of flats counterclockwise:

BEADGCF

To lo at it in more detail (I'll only use the major keys):

Sharps:

G major -- F#
D major -- F# C#
A major -- F# C# G#
E major -- F# C# G# D#
B major -- F# C# G# D# A#
F# major -- F# C# G# D# A# E#
C# major -- F# C# G# D# A# E# B#

Flats:

F major -- Bb
Bb major -- Bb Eb
Eb major -- Bb Eb Ab
Ab major -- Bb Eb Ab Db
Db major -- Bb Eb Ab Db Gb
Gb major -- Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb
Cb major -- Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb Fb

So if you look at the accumulation of accidentals as a right triangle you can count the accidentals forming the hypotenuse side and see the order of sharps and flats as found the mnemonic phrases I gave earlier.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 pm

funken wrote:Crumhorn, I dont really understand this:

"Explain circle of fiths. and show how by starting at F and moving round you first produce a major pentatonic scale and ultimately all the white notes. "
He means that if you count clockwise from F you will get F, C, G, D, A, which if you reorder into a scale gives you F, G, A, C, D, which is an F major pentatonic scale.
Unsound Designer