Akai MPK49 vs Novation Sl MkII49 (with Live)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UltimateOutsider

Re: Akai MPK49 vs Novation Sl MkII49 (with Live)

Post by UltimateOutsider » Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 pm

thomassmith wrote:THank you UltimateOutsider!
You never had any issues wiht the akai mpk49?
How did you feel about the Novation?
Can you recommend any shops because I don't think trying any of the keyboards is allowed.
I am near Manchester and Liverpool.
I'm in the USA so our shop selection will be quite different. :)

No, the MPK works reliably. It actually has a preset for Live (the very first one when you plug it in), but I don't use it. I have my own pad settings, and so far my knob/fader usage is very ad-hoc; just whatever I need at the moment.

I only have two complaints about the Akai 1) The pads suck until upgraded, as mentioned before. 2) There's no power switch. It's fully USB powered, but all the lights stay lit even after I put my PC to sleep or turn it off. I have to unplug the keyboard when I'm done with it, which is an annoyance. I THINK the Novation has a power switch.

That aside, the build quality of the Akai is quite good and I would only replace it with an actual synth (very unlikely considering I actually got it to replace my old Yamaha SY-85).

I tried a LOT of keyboard controllers, so I don't remember how the Novation felt, specifically. My decision was mostly based on keyboard/knob/fader feel. Also, I liked that the MPK had more pads.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Thu May 17, 2012 7:11 pm

appreciated!!!

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Do you know any kind of keyboard by Novation or other brand that has the same feeling of the keys of NOVATION SL MK2 49? Just a basic 49 key keyboard nothing else needed.

I am looking for something like ESI KeyControl 49 XT its almost as good as the Novation in the feeling of touching the keys but not good enough.

One of you suggested buying roland a-800 pro (£279.00).
It would be ideal something under £100.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 am

in my experience ...
Novation interfaces better with Ableton (lcds..param/track names)
and you get automap too..
and I like the keyboard better..

oliveceleste

Post by oliveceleste » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 am

Hey guys, do u know how to return the original automatization in the keyboard? I mean if I press "play" on the keyboard I expect the track to start, if 'record' then accordingly? Once the settings changed and I don't know how to have everything back..

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm

3dot... wrote:in my experience ...
Novation interfaces better with Ableton (lcds..param/track names)
and you get automap too..
and I like the keyboard better..
So what do you suggest then?
To buy novation sl mk2 49?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 am

just my opinion..
I suggest you try both of them first in the shop..

mayabong

Post by mayabong » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm

I have an mpk 49, I like it. Upgrading the pads is a necessity though

oliveceleste

Post by oliveceleste » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:51 am

Hey guys, do u know how to return the original automatization in the keyboard? I mean if I press "play" on the keyboard I expect the track to start, if 'record' then accordingly? Once the settings changed and I don't know how to have everything back..

lachance_11@msn.com

Post by lachance_11@msn.com » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 am

LOVE my mpk49. Im surprised to see so many people who don't like it. Keys are great, the pads are great.. I dont use the faders and knobs as much as i could but thats mainly because i have the apc40 for that. great keyboard though.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:17 pm

3dot... wrote:just my opinion..
I suggest you try both of them first in the shop..
I tried both of them and love the the feeling of the Novation keys.

I want a basic 49 keyboard with the feeling of Novation SL MK2 keys.
Do you know such a keyboard?
thanks

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I have an MPK 49 and I like it a lot. I rarely use the pads, except for one shots (only because I use my maschine for pad drumming). Keys are good, no they're not fully weighted, but they're pretty good. Some people complain about them being too springy, but I haven't noticed it being a relevant factor in my playing. The faders and knobs are where it's at, however.

I read above someone complaining about the faders not moving with the song... well they're not motorized faders... what do you expect, a 5,000 dollar mixing console? You have to know how to go into Live's preferences and adjust the midi settings on the faders (so if they're set where they are, that will instantly represent the track volume, you can put it on a threshold so once they reach where the volume currently is then they will activate.. or there's a 3rd option. A little googling will help you figure that out). Knobs are great too. You can map them to anything you want.

Personally, I like to use the faders and knobs to mix (volume and pan). I get my parts down, auto map my midi, and then play the song and start mixing. Get the pans and basic volume down, then go back and re-do it in case I want to put any automation down (bring up a snare roll or something at the end of a phrase)...

Anyway, I like it. Both seem nice though.

One thing to note - the MPK 49 is not very plug n play friendly. I have to turn off my macbook, plug it in, then boot it up for it to work. In other words, I cant have my laptop already turned on, plug in the keyboard and then start up Live. The midi signal won't work without rebooting the machine. Don't know why this happens, but it's a minor inconvenience.

lachance_11@msn.com

Post by lachance_11@msn.com » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm

ce though.

One thing to note - the MPK 49 is not very plug n play friendly. I have to turn off my macbook, plug it in, then boot it up for it to work. In other words, I cant have my laptop already turned on, plug in the keyboard and then start up Live. The midi signal won't work without rebooting the machine. Don't know why this happens, but it's a minor inconvenience.[/quote]

I dont have that problem at all. i can unplug my mpk49 multiple times when abletons running and im working on a project and itll automatically save/reload previous settings. its great