Beat The Clock Results - A Little Bit Dodgy???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mozzatron

Beat The Clock Results - A Little Bit Dodgy???

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I hope everyone enjoyed the whole competition. It's been a lot of effort and alot of fun, but i'm relieved it's over in a way now as i don't have to bother anyone to vote for me anymore!

Good luck to everyone who's made it through to the top 25, there are some great songs in there. Although i'm not too sure about some of the final entrants.....100's of votes gained in the last couple of days doubling their total....almost 500 in one instance....sounds a bit dodgy to me......hopefully Ableton are able to check whether people have bought votes/logged multiple votes from false email addresses? Is this possible?
Last edited by mozzatron on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Psychoactive_Music

Re: Beat The Clock Results

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 pm

personally I think Mr bill should win his entry is the most complete, well mastered, and musically exciting composition of all of the tracks I heard. I'm suspicious about the top few as well.It Would be a terrible shame if someone won such an awesome prize who cheated. what would that teach everybody in this competition? It would really show lack of care and professionalism on abletons part. Hopefully there will be checks

parable66

Post by parable66 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 pm

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 am

Psychoactive_Music wrote:personally I think Mr bill should win his entry is the most complete, well mastered, and musically exciting composition of all of the tracks I heard. I'm suspicious about the top few as well.It Would be a terrible shame if someone won such an awesome prize who cheated. what would that teach everybody in this competition? It would really show lack of care and professionalism on abletons part. Hopefully there will be checks

Completely agree with you there. I really enjoyed the whole competition process up until i saw the results. I was hovering around the top 10 for most of the final week and i had been monitoring the top 50 entrants and keeping track of everyones votes. Gutted that i ended up in 30th position over all, but after looking at the final results it's very clear that there has been some cheating going on in my eyes. I have got screen shots of the vote count from the 13th and some people doubled their scores in the last couple of days....one person (I won't name names at this stage) was on than less than 300 votes then magically acquired about 500 votes in the last couple of days. Goes without saying they must have bought votes or logged false votes from fake accounts.

Obviously i'm more than disappointed that i missed out on a top 25 spot, especially when i put so much effort in getting friends/family etc to vote and people seem to have been cheating and won a final 25 spot.

I have contacted Ableton with all my findings and given them the opportunity to look into it. Hopefully they have the capabilities to work out who has been cheating and will rectify things.

parable66

Post by parable66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:24 pm

All ableton would have to do is say "Due to suspicion of fraudulent voting, we will be looking at the top 50 places."
I mean, why would those artists even want to waste their time checking out these sessions of these so called, top voted tracks? Im sure they wouldn't waste any extra time by just going through the top 50, and checking which .als files they would truly like to see.
The biggest cheating red flag that I notice is the play to vote ratio. A ratio of 20% is killer! But 80%? are you serious?

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:40 pm

mozzatron wrote:Obviously i'm more than disappointed that i missed out on a top 25 spot, especially when i put so much effort in getting friends/family etc to vote and people seem to have been cheating and won a final 25 spot.
Not sure if I think you getting your mum/grandma etc to vote for you is any better than people setting up fake email accounts...

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 am

Szuumm wrote:
mozzatron wrote:Obviously i'm more than disappointed that i missed out on a top 25 spot, especially when i put so much effort in getting friends/family etc to vote and people seem to have been cheating and won a final 25 spot.
Not sure if I think you getting your mum/grandma etc to vote for you is any better than people setting up fake email accounts...
Obviously I didn't just rely on friends and family to vote. And I'm sure youll find that anyone that took the competition seriously would have got their friends and family to vote and there is nothing wrong with that. Paying someone for 100s of votes on the other hand (which is possible) is blatant cheating and should be kicked out of the comp. Do you honestly think someone that gains around 300 votes over the duration of the competition (a few weeks) then gets 500 votes in the last couple of days hasn't cheated?

I'm sure there are a few people in the top 25 that's done this.

Hopefully the guys at Ableton are into it

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:56 am

parable66 wrote:All ableton would have to do is say "Due to suspicion of fraudulent voting, we will be looking at the top 50 places."
I mean, why would those artists even want to waste their time checking out these sessions of these so called, top voted tracks? Im sure they wouldn't waste any extra time by just going through the top 50, and checking which .als files they would truly like to see.
The biggest cheating red flag that I notice is the play to vote ratio. A ratio of 20% is killer! But 80%? are you serious?

Well they certainly need to do something. Just had a look through the top 25 again and one guy has 437 votes but only 258 plays!

yarhkob

Post by yarhkob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Man this was certainly the most fun Ive had doing a remix that I can remember !!
I think I work best when I have deadlines so 24 hours was a wicked challenge.

But yeh it is a little disappointing that with the top 25 tracks there seems to be at least 5 or so blatant cheatings going on. I think I ended up like 33rd.
Hopefully they look at the top 40 or so or disqualify a few of these dudes, because I believe my track was pretty good compared to some of those ones that are up there now :/
yeeeow

CloudClod

Post by CloudClod » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Totally shady! I would say it's a lost cause but it's worth a shot, I emailed them. Ableton threatened disqualification for spamming and vote-boosting via illegal means. I have faith that they'll look into it since they have integrity as a company and saying one thing and doing another clashes with that integrity.

Besides, karma is a bitch everybody. Winning ableton for life doesn't eliminate the desperate and lack of belief in the self that "buying votes" indicates. Think about it, if you have to buy votes to pass people in some contest, you don't believe in your own ability as strongly, do you? I think we should write to them, but in these matters just smile, the universe never forgets and is always watching.

mike

parable66

Post by parable66 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 pm

yarhkob wrote:Man this was certainly the most fun Ive had doing a remix that I can remember !!
I think I work best when I have deadlines so 24 hours was a wicked challenge.

But yeh it is a little disappointing that with the top 25 tracks there seems to be at least 5 or so blatant cheatings going on. I think I ended up like 33rd.
Hopefully they look at the top 40 or so or disqualify a few of these dudes, because I believe my track was pretty good compared to some of those ones that are up there now :/
yeeeow
Yea, I went into the competition with the intent of showing off the capabilities of ableton live. If my track was chosen, It would probably be good for business. My .als file has a good 40 tracks that Id love to show off, and a good load of techniques/ :( 31st is where I was left.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:57 pm

CloudClod, totally agree with you regarding Karma. Even if Ableton doesn't weed out the probably "cheaters," what do these people really get out of doing this? Not much.

I loved doing the remix and the competition in general. I'm listed 258th, and if you add up all the "tied for xth place" (multiple people with, say 42 votes considered as one "place") then I'm 114th. Honestly, as an amateur producer I'm really quite proud of this given the total amount of entries. But what I got out of this more than a number of votes or a ranking, or anything easily quantifiable, was

A) Seeing that I CAN finish a track :roll: if I set a deadline for myself and allow myself to say "okay, it's done!"
B) Feedback and interaction with people from all over the world who actually listened and responded to my track -- some even checked out the few other tracks I have on my soundcloud account and commented on them -- this feedback is like gold for me, particularly the stuff that is constructive criticism
C) Finding others in the Ableton Community from all over the world whose music I really like and respect, and building my soundcloud network (Following and Followers) with real honest people who are into the same kind of creativity outlet as me.

I know that a lot of you in the forum are professionals or perhaps more deeply invested in production and I can understand why placement could mean a lot to you. But for me, 114th... or 258th, however you wanna count it :wink: , is a win for me.

Cheers, and great work (almost) everyone!

Chris

CloudClod

Post by CloudClod » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 pm

cpyatak wrote:CloudClod, totally agree with you regarding Karma. Even if Ableton doesn't weed out the probably "cheaters," what do these people really get out of doing this? Not much.

I loved doing the remix and the competition in general. I'm listed 258th, and if you add up all the "tied for xth place" (multiple people with, say 42 votes considered as one "place") then I'm 114th. Honestly, as an amateur producer I'm really quite proud of this given the total amount of entries. But what I got out of this more than a number of votes or a ranking, or anything easily quantifiable, was

A) Seeing that I CAN finish a track :roll: if I set a deadline for myself and allow myself to say "okay, it's done!"
B) Feedback and interaction with people from all over the world who actually listened and responded to my track -- some even checked out the few other tracks I have on my soundcloud account and commented on them -- this feedback is like gold for me, particularly the stuff that is constructive criticism
C) Finding others in the Ableton Community from all over the world whose music I really like and respect, and building my soundcloud network (Following and Followers) with real honest people who are into the same kind of creativity outlet as me.

I know that a lot of you in the forum are professionals or perhaps more deeply invested in production and I can understand why placement could mean a lot to you. But for me, 114th... or 258th, however you wanna count it :wink: , is a win for me.

Cheers, and great work (almost) everyone!

Chris

Yes!!! I feel overwhelmingly happy too. It's about finishing things, putting them out there and really taking interest in the work of others. Contacts aside, I found at least 3 dozen sounds that blew my mind (the kind of sounds I like...where I have no idea where it's coming from). And there is such a vast number of beautiful tracks and awesome people on soundcloud. Never would have discovered that without the contest.

polybiusmusic

Post by polybiusmusic » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Ableton please make it top 50!
There you will find the hard workers who earned their votes cleanly!

Thanks!

parable66

Post by parable66 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 pm

polybiusmusic wrote:Ableton please make it top 50!
There you will find the hard workers who earned their votes cleanly!

Thanks!
+1! you got my vote!