Already Own M4L, do I need Max 6?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
parable66

Already Own M4L, do I need Max 6?

Post by parable66 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey Guys, was wondering about your thoughts on MAx 6 vs M4L?
There is a nice hefty discount on it right now, but I am having a hard time deciding.
Opinions? Thanks for the help!
:mrgreen:

parable66

Re: Already Own M4L, do I need Max 6?

Post by parable66 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 pm

ShelLuser wrote:IMO it heavily depends on your workflow. You just need to ask yourself if you'd be using Max as intensively as M4L, if so then I agree that the discount could be an interesting thing to follow up on.

Another aspect is that having a Max license also can make your live as a M4L programmer easier as well. Ever since I picked up my Max 5 license I've used Max quite often for M4L tasks. Simply because firing up Max was a lot quicker than firing up Live followed by firing up M4L :lol:

Edit:

Another thing which I forgot to mention... Max 5 is the better version to be used with M4L. I was going to mention that "Max 5 was officially supported as M4L" but couldn't find sources to back this up, but check out this thread.

So; if your main usage is M4L I'd stick to Max 5 for now.
Wow! Thank you for the detailed response! So version 6 is a little iffy at the moment? Yea, M4L would most likely be the main usage for me. I really appreciate your time and response. I think I may just wait it out. Dont know if it is worth switching to the ramen noodle diet for the next month at this moment in my life ;)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I've bought it on the basis that i'll need it at some point, but i wont be using it with Live....

Peters right, there's so much thats a bit iffy with it that it's not worth it and the majority of M4L users dont have the full version anyway so it'll restrict who you can share devices with...

Cheers
D

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 am

ShelLuser wrote:
S4racen wrote: Ey S4.. Hope you don't mind if I try to take a 'short cut' but; I assume its safe to conclude from your comment here that Max 6 can be installed & used besides Max 5 ?
it sure can be used, you can even use GEN in M4L ;)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 am

oh and I see there's an extension on their sale over at Cycling '74, few hours left till it ends ;)

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:30 am

Please note that Max 6 is not 100 percent compatible with max for live. http://www.ableton.com/answers/max-6-by-default

From Ableton:

...there are objects in Max 6 that will not work correctly in Max 5, and that anyone who owns Max for Live and does not buy Max 6 standalone will be unable to use such patches. Additionally, we cannot, at the moment, guarantee full compatibility for Max 6 in Max for Live.

So, if you'd like to share what you've done in Max for Live, then we strongly recommend that you use Max 5.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud