how can i record complete set?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
theinfinate

how can i record complete set?

Post by theinfinate » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am

i need to record my song/set, i do alot of live looping and press stop and start alot in dynamics of the song so i can't just press record to record the whole song. I've tried using audacity in the background of ableton but it only records whats comeing through the inputs not the loops. I don't want to use an external recorder either. Has anyone got a workaround for this problem?

Rinsemeister

Re: how can i record complete set?

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 am

New audio track set to resample, simples.

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 am

but when i press stop it stops that track recording?

invol

Post by invol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:35 am

There might be a Max For Live solution. Otherwise, you are going to need to run another app to record everything. Some audio interfaces offer loopback features - RME's Total Mix that comes with their interfaces is especially good at this.

</edit> Actually try Looper. Set Tempo and Song Control choosers to NONE. </>

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 am

nice call with the looper set to none, it does continue to record but on play back the gaps between when i press stop and play again aren't the same, as in it doesn't actually record the 4 count of silence, it just stops and starts recording on stop and play.....nearly fixed it! il try to find another app, my soundcard doesn't seem to have a loopback feature unless i did it manually with patch leads but i really don't want to do it like that

invol

Post by invol » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:18 am

theinfinate wrote:nice call with the looper set to none, it does continue to record but on play back the gaps between when i press stop and play again aren't the same, as in it doesn't actually record the 4 count of silence, it just stops and starts recording on stop and play.....nearly fixed it! il try to find another app, my soundcard doesn't seem to have a loopback feature unless i did it manually with patch leads but i really don't want to do it like that
There should be a way to make it work by messing with some of the settings. Also, how are you routing the audio to it? Try Quantization "None", Song Control "None"and Tempo Control "None". Record "x bars" then "play" (green triangle).

If you drag the audio onto a track it will be in Repitch Mode, so turn off Warping perhaps.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Brian

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 pm

invol wrote:
theinfinate wrote:nice call with the looper set to none, it does continue to record but on play back the gaps between when i press stop and play again aren't the same, as in it doesn't actually record the 4 count of silence, it just stops and starts recording on stop and play.....nearly fixed it! il try to find another app, my soundcard doesn't seem to have a loopback feature unless i did it manually with patch leads but i really don't want to do it like that
There should be a way to make it work by messing with some of the settings. Also, how are you routing the audio to it? Try Quantization "None", Song Control "None"and Tempo Control "None". Record "x bars" then "play" (green triangle).

If you drag the audio onto a track it will be in Repitch Mode, so turn off Warping perhaps.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Brian
i tried but nope still the same outcome, i tried a few routing setups too, i put looper in master, i tried putting in an audiotrack and routing all tracks to that track or audio from resampling....so close!

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

just stop the clips and not the recording? cue out the metronome in headphones so you're not off tempo when you need the backing tracks there again.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:16 am

+1. Using stop is going be a problem for almost any timeline based recording method.

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 am

Cymatic Kicks wrote:just stop the clips and not the recording? cue out the metronome in headphones so you're not off tempo when you need the backing tracks there again.
yeah i know what you mean but i like to hit stop and hit play a few times quickly to use the start of the loop as a beat if you know what i mean

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

a couple of years ago people would recommend this plug in http://www.silverspike.com/?Products:TapeIt(windows only).not sure, though, how it behaves when you press stop.

on mac you should be able to record your set using quicktime.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm

theinfinate wrote:...i like to hit stop and hit play a few times quickly to use the start of the loop as a beat if you know what i mean
you could perhaps use scene launching and stop all clips to achieve something similar

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 am

theinfinate wrote:
Cymatic Kicks wrote:just stop the clips and not the recording? cue out the metronome in headphones so you're not off tempo when you need the backing tracks there again.
yeah i know what you mean but i like to hit stop and hit play a few times quickly to use the start of the loop as a beat if you know what i mean

You could change the quantization on the clips you like to do that to on the launch section. That way, it doesn't have to wait a bar to start or stop, you could change it to a much shorter time.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:00 am

Cymatic Kicks wrote:
theinfinate wrote:

You could change the quantization on the clips you like to do that to on the launch section. That way, it doesn't have to wait a bar to start or stop, you could change it to a much shorter time.

he is referring to the set-tempo function of looper. transport has to be stopped in order to make looper determine the tempo.

Metaphreaq

Post by Metaphreaq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Try stopping the individual clips/channels instead of stopping the whole sequence.