8.3.1 ReWire error

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Junia

8.3.1 ReWire error

Post by Junia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:15 am

At 12:34am tonight I discovered that Ableton 8.3 has an autoupdate function. Great. I have been auto-updated to 8.3.1 against my will and now when I start ableton I get the following error:

"An error has occurred whilst opening the ReWire system. ReWire will not work properly".

I am putting this message here so others that get the error can know that they are not alone.

I have sent a dissapointed email to Ableton about this problem. I do not like having an upgrade forced on me, I do not like not being able to roll back to a previous version and I am unimpressed with the obvious lacks in quality control that lead to this error getting through.

I sincerly hope that Ableton take a good hard look at themselves and prevent this kind of incompetency from getting through again along with reviewing the stupidity of an autoupdate system that offers no ability to roll back.

I have already tried the rewire re-install as alluded to in other messages in this forum from way back at 8.02.

I have only just rebuilt this system and have it very clean and stable, and frankly, the idea of compromising it by fuqing with DLLs etc. irritates me no end.

Anyway, if you are now getting this error, you're not alone.

cids

Re: 8.3.1 ReWire error

Post by cids » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:13 am

You could have known this...

Added automatic software updating. When enabled, Live will automatically download and install software updates in the background. Users who update to Live 8.3 from an older Live version will see a dialog box when launching Live 8.3 for the first time, where Automatic Updates can be enabled or disabled. You can always change the settings in Live’s "Licenses/Maintenance" Preferences. More detailed information about Automatic Updates is available in our Knowledge Base.
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Junia

Post by Junia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:56 pm

cids wrote:You could have known this...

Added automatic software updating. When enabled, Live will automatically download and install software updates in the background. Users who update to Live 8.3 from an older Live version will see a dialog box when launching Live 8.3 for the first time, where Automatic Updates can be enabled or disabled. You can always change the settings in Live’s "Licenses/Maintenance" Preferences. More detailed information about Automatic Updates is available in our Knowledge Base.
I do not recall ever selecting such an option. And who are you to say that I could have known this, you are not my calendar and you know not what I do with my time. Reading a patch list, for example, is low on my priority list because I expect professionalism from a company I purchase software from.

I see now why I saw no option, I reinstalled a system with a new OS and installed 8.3 from the get go, thus no upgrade and no option. Irrespective, prior to 8.3 there was a version history so you could run the prior version easily. Therefore, where is the rollback now?

I reserve the right to be thoroughly irritated. I baby an install, checked dpc latency with every additional program, segregated the music OS, took great care only to be compromised by an error from a third party by an automatic update with no rollback option.

And besides, even if I knew of the automatic update I may have elected to allow it given that my default decision would be to trust the programming skills & QA of a professional company such as Ableton.

Irrespective, I have contacted support & requested a solution and as I said, this post is not just my complaint, it is record so that if others have the problem they can find a reference & know it is not an error unque to their system.

franklinvi

Post by franklinvi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:16 pm

I also got the automatic update. I also have the Rewire error when starting Live. I hope it will be fixed soon.

I turned the auto-update function off.

commuter

Post by commuter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 pm

i also got the rewire error,
Download the 8.3.1 update direct from the site and reinstall,it solve the problem.
15" Macbook Pro 2,3 quadcore I7 2012/8gb ram/240gb SSD/ LIVE 9.06/OSX 10.8.5, NI Komplete audio 6
https://www.facebook.com/commuterofficial
http://soundcloud.com/commuter

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Didnt know I got an update installed till I read this. I'm getting the same error but its not causing me a problem.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

To fix the problem, please download the full 8.3.1 installer and reinstall again. You can find the installer at

http://www.ableton.com/account/downloads

Sorry for the inconvenience, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Downloaded the 8.3.2 installer. I need to enter a new folder (can't install into existing Live 8 ) / give a new name for the Start Menu entry (Live 8 already exists).

Tell me, what exactly is the convenience of this new installation method when it is only ANNOYANCE and delay where the setup used to work FINE.
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Junia wrote:At 12:34am tonight I discovered that Ableton 8.3 has an autoupdate function. Great. I have been auto-updated to 8.3.1 against my will and now when I start ableton I get the following error:

"An error has occurred whilst opening the ReWire system. ReWire will not work properly".

I am putting this message here so others that get the error can know that they are not alone.

I have sent a dissapointed email to Ableton about this problem. I do not like having an upgrade forced on me, I do not like not being able to roll back to a previous version and I am unimpressed with the obvious lacks in quality control that lead to this error getting through.

I sincerly hope that Ableton take a good hard look at themselves and prevent this kind of incompetency from getting through again along with reviewing the stupidity of an autoupdate system that offers no ability to roll back.

I have already tried the rewire re-install as alluded to in other messages in this forum from way back at 8.02.

I have only just rebuilt this system and have it very clean and stable, and frankly, the idea of compromising it by fuqing with DLLs etc. irritates me no end.

Anyway, if you are now getting this error, you're not alone.
I'm pretty sure auto update is not set to On by default.
But I did have a weird behavior with Rewire.
I never use Rewire but I thought I would mess with it using Live and Reason. Yesterday when I tried to open Live or Reason both were set to Rewire Slave and could use either one. I could open a Live project and it would go away but when I closed down Ableton it would open back up in Rewire Slave. Same with Reason 4. The only fix was to reboot the PC. Odd is that the Rewire Client tayed open from Sat. to Mon. and it's been reboot several times. I don't think I'll try Rewire anymore.

Yoshi Pantera

Post by Yoshi Pantera » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 pm

I just bought Focusrite 4i4 and got Ablton Lite installed. And after my first recorded set I got this error message.. plus I could not save any of my work, which I lost 2 sets.. a HUGE pain.

I read a lot of many forums. It took about 6 hours to solve it within two days. I FOUND THE SOLUTION! I applied the following:

- RESET Live https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... reset-Live
- LIVE updates automatically by default. To turn this off, you have to go to preferences on LIVE, License Maintance and TURN OFF automatic updates
- I also gave my self full permission of control to all of my folders: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003538120

You may also find these helpful
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000133844
https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... ime_i_try/

HOPE this helps and that Ableton fixes this issue so every one doesnt have to go thru this.. it seems that many do.