Izotope Ozone Hiss noise in Ableton, normal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bandic00t

Izotope Ozone Hiss noise in Ableton, normal?

Post by bandic00t » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Hello,

I don't know if it's normal but every time I insert an instance of Ozone in a channel, it creates a faint hiss noise that you can clearly hear in the quiet parts of the mix. Any way to remove it? Or is this normal?

I'm only using the Loudness Maximizer. Everything else is deactivated. Dithering is off too.

Thanks in advance

invol

Re: Izotope Ozone Hiss noise in Ableton, normal?

Post by invol » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:17 am

Do you have any recorded audio? External hardware? Any noise is amplified with Limiters...

jrob6716

Post by jrob6716 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 am

bandic00t wrote:Hello,

I don't know if it's normal but every time I insert an instance of Ozone in a channel, it creates a faint hiss noise that you can clearly hear in the quiet parts of the mix. Any way to remove it? Or is this normal?

I'm only using the Loudness Maximizer. Everything else is deactivated. Dithering is off too.

Thanks in advance
what happens if you bypass loudness maximizer, does the hiss go away ? I have also noticed this.
jROB

unkle

Post by unkle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 am

is original version ? there is some v. crack didn't work well or if you use sample with limiter at more then -10db is possible hear hiss
:) bye M8

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:15 pm

I have it applied on two samplers for a kick drum and a snare and another one on a bass track recorded from a software synthesizer. No external hardware.

I realized the hiss is significantly more audible from these 3 tracks than from the one I inserted to the master channel. When I mute all 3 and leave only the one on the master activated, it becomes hardly audible. I guess it is indeed a case of amplified noise from all 4 of them acting together...

Yes, the hiss goes away when I bypass the maximizers. And it is a legit copy :wink:

But what I really want to know is if it's normal for the plug-in to create noise with only the loudness maximizer activated? Do limiters actually do this? I thought only dithering would add noise to the mix.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm

bandic00t wrote: Yes, the hiss goes away when I bypass the maximizers. And it is a legit copy :wink:

But what I really want to know is if it's normal for the plug-in to create noise with only the loudness maximizer activated? Do limiters actually do this? I thought only dithering would add noise to the mix.
I would email izotope support then, I'm sure they would be very interested if you have discovered a bug that introduces noise.

What speed is the release on the limiter? I guess really fast release could cause some slight distortion.

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Yes, I have them all set to clipping on the tracks and very fast on the master. But I can still hear the same noise when I adjust all of them to very slow.

I just realized Ableton’s limiter creates the same noise with similar settings. When I turn it off, the noise is completely gone. So I’m guessing limiters do create noise…

I tried Ozone on another project and the noise is much less audible and pretty much disappears when I play the mix. So I guess the problem isn't Ozone, but the over-usage of it in the other project…

Anyways, thank you all for your responses!

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 am

It's probably because the Loudness Maximizer is a compressor. If there is nothing going through it, it is going to maximize hiss.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:35 am

edit: fail, you already turned off dithering.

jasper

Post by jasper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 pm

It's kind of unique to Live's audio engine.
In v8 the compressor's "makeup" causes it when on the master channel.
There's a white noise layer in every DAW.
It is used as gain reduction/ provides transient control and warmth.

With the "makeup" switched on in abe's compressor the "ffffff" is there as the threshold approaches -30dB.
TOTALLY guessing: Abe's white noise layer is probably at a very tiny amount per channel.
AutoGain Makeup on the compressor will raise the sum of all channels' built in noise.
Listening to it right now.
Sounds like FM radio silence. fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Try only the Limiter alone, without adding makeup on your compressors.
When I turn off my compressor and leave only the limiter on, it goes away.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Can't tell if srs. There is not a white noise layer in DAWs. Some plugins yes, but daws are squeaky clean and pristine. Do you have any info to support your claim??

jasper

Post by jasper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm

timothyallan wrote:Can't tell if srs. There is not a white noise layer in DAWs. Some plugins yes, but daws are squeaky clean and pristine. Do you have any info to support your claim??
no. i was about to come back here and correct myself too.lol. sorry.
in my case, i muted a noisy-as-hell sample and the hiss completely went away.
Limiters light up all kinds of stuff so i dont know any absolute rules or whatever.
i love Live. heehoo..:p