waves, mastering eq and compression

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
doctah x

waves, mastering eq and compression

Post by doctah x » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 pm

can someone suggest which plugs they think might work well for dub/reggae/dubstep,,,thanx in advance
mek dub not war

Meef Chaloin

Re: waves, mastering eq and compression

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:38 pm

For mastering? The same that work for every other genre.

Jen Foo

Post by Jen Foo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am

Izotope Ozone 5, it works great for me.

TheLion1

Post by TheLion1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:08 am

i usually use a multiband compressor, an EQ then a limiter on my master channel in Pro Tools

buts that after I bounce down the mix then start a whole new session to master in

to be more specific its a C6, SSL EQ then a L3 for modern style tracks or an L1 for laid back chill tracks

alyx99

Post by alyx99 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:55 pm

From the Genres you ave mentioned i presume you are going for Warmth.

Hardware wise i am lucky enough to have an Empirical labs fatso which is great on bass and getting rid of the harshness of Digital recordings and VST's

Software wise you can get just as good effects with the Waves NLS collection

Dropping the channel strip on the first insert of each track you will hera noticable difference in the tone and character of the sound. The Neve emulation for example well driven gives such warmth and character to the sound, you will be amazed when you bypass all your channels. There is also a mixbuss plugin as well to emulate the classic desks

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=12015

I am a big fan but also check out this months Future music magazive for a full review.

Hope this helps

Alex

Scherer

Post by Scherer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

I got used to the T-Racks plugins by IKMultimedia as well as the already mentioned Ozone. While Ozone does cost some bucks, T-Racks is much more attractive in price. And IKM regularly has special offers with dropped prices.

Vios

Post by Vios » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:29 am

My chain is:

EQ8 All, EQ8 Stereo/Mono, *Exciter*, *Compressor*, Multiband Compressor, *Compressor*, Limiter, *Maximizer*

Those with * are only sometimes used. I rarely use a maximizer, only if I'm really looking for loud and dirty.

If you're looking for a quite good free multi-band compressor, grab the ReaPlugs set off my webpage:

Free VSTs

The Antress Modern Plugin set has a good exciter as well.
Last edited by Vios on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikulo

Post by nikulo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

ozone all the way, if you can afford it^.

you can do almost the same with build in plugins though. and you'll learn much more this way imo.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Vios wrote:My chain is:

EQ8 All, EQ8 Stereo/Mono, *Exciter*, *Compressor*, Multiband Compressor, *Compressor*, Limiter, *Maximizer*

Those with * are only sometimes used. I rarely use a maximizer, only if I'm really looking for loud and dirty.

If you're looking for a quite good free multi-band compressor, grab the ReaPlugs set off my webpage:

Free VSTs

The Antress Modern Plugin set has a good exciter as well.
Where do you run these? Each track or on Master only or split among send/return/master? Just curious, usually I put limiter and/or compressor on master and sometimes reverb or EQ. In tracks I use reverb or SIR 1001 w/IR's as my verbs to mangle samples I wouldn't use otherwise (drum stuff for rock/hip-hop etc....get interesting results from them some times).
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Vios

Post by Vios » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm

I run them in a line on my master channel. I've occasionally ran a reverb in my master, but only if I'm working with someone else's track and I find it dry sounding. Kick drums typically do not play well with reverb. I also occasionally use Modern Analoger (see the VST link above) to soften out the highs and add just a pinch of warmth if it's needed. I don't like compressors too much. I often only get 0.5db "louder" from my multiband and 0.5db from the compressor. Often times it's possible to get things louder just by applying proper EQ (EQing for pure loudness involves cutting the peaking frequencies and then raising the overall volume). I like lots of limiting though - 4db at the peak moment in the track is typical for me.

Final note: it can be good to EQ again just before the limiter esp to cut some of the low compressor noise. I use Voxengo Elephant a lot and it has a built in high pass filter to get rid of that junk below 20-30Hz.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 pm

*bookmark*

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 am

id go with ozone 5. waves is not bad its just that ozone offers a very good sound. i use waves for mixing and ozone for mastering.

Red Mastering Studio

Post by Red Mastering Studio » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

doctah x wrote:can someone suggest which plugs they think might work well for dub/reggae/dubstep,,,thanx in advance
as someone responded already, there's no such thing like plugin for dubstep
get the mix right and then mastering should be just a touch of extra layer on top of it

footsy

Post by footsy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Asked my friend about a good VST for dub, and he's a "famous" dubstep artist where I live.

He said massive.... No bueno.

I've seen some dub presets on sylenth1, but mostly I've been making them all by hand with some analogs
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

Mimeticz

Post by Mimeticz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 am

Could someone explain to me what makes Ozone so great? I have tried it but I couldn't seem to like what it was doing for me though it could just be maybe not used to it.