Which new MacBook Pro to get

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JMFOne

Which new MacBook Pro to get

Post by JMFOne » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi

I am going to buy a new MacBook Pro (just had my white macbook stolen) but I'm totally confused as to which one will be the best for me.
So far it's a toss between regular 13", a possible 13" retina in october, the regular 15" (but the top end one) or the base level retina model.

I will use the laptop for audio production mainly but also 3d gaming.

My first question would be does the retina display or the software have any impact on abletons performance or anything audio related?

Retina Pros

Screen, SSD, more portable, less glare from screen, quieter, better laptop speakers

Retina Cons

Screen actually a hindrance at the moment in most cases particularly for gaming. A native resolution of 1440 x900 would be much better for gaming on the regular macbook pro than downscaling on the retina. A workaround could obviously be to output to an external display with a native resolution more appropriate for a 30-60fps gameplay experience.

The screen again, applications and websites need time to take advantage of the display. Until that happens it's essentally a beta that is slower and lower res than the regular macbooks.

Lack of screen glass means it is much more fragile and harder to clean.

Lastly the 13" books are obviously no good for gaming (i could live with that) but how powerfull are they by todays standards of audio production?

Any advice, benchmarks or recommendations would be appreciated.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Faldoe

Re: Which new MacBook Pro to get

Post by Faldoe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:40 pm

as I've seen other people mention on other forums - the new Pros are uncharted waters and depending on your audio interface, it may be uncertain how things will work out. Though there are adapters for firewire to thunderbolt.

maybe look into getting an old (2011) Pro?

plox

Post by plox » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 am

get a pc
hehe

i couldnt tell ya...the 2 macbook pros ive had all died within 3 years.. never again

from what ive read... non retina is a safer option- or the last gen ones..
man these things are $$$

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 am

depends on your interface and software, i personnally wouldnt get the retina cause there is no firewire and the resolution has no use for my music needs, plus i want a hard drive

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 am

hello, i bought a new MBP last week

I decided not to buy the retina model. the main reason being I am not convinced the extra resolution will add very much to my experience - some third party apps might even look worse until the developers get around to updating them.

Secondly, whilst i liked the fact that it was thin, i wanted firewire so i could keep running my duet.

So, in the end, i bought the high end non-retina version, which is the best performing machine in the MBP range, while being significantly cheaper than the retina. it hasn't arrived yet, but i'm looking forward to it!

kennsore

Post by kennsore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:38 am

Hi

One thing to think about, the new retina display macbook pro is that it is truly not upgradable. The new batteries are glued inside the body and the ram is soldered to the motherboard. So if you want more RAM you need to pay Apple price for it when you buy it. The one thing about the "old" Macbook Pro is that it is quite upgradable. You can change batteries, RAM and harddrive. The same is not true for the retina one.
Last edited by kennsore on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:48 am

kennsore wrote:Hi

One thing to think about the new retina display macbook pro is that it is truly not upgradable. The new batteries are glued inside the body and the ram is soldered to the motherboard. So if you want more RAM you need to pay Apple price for it when you buy it. The one thing about the "old" Macbook Pro is that it is quite upgradable. You can change batteries, RAM and harddrive. The same is not true for the retina one.
Do you know if this is true of the new non-retina model? I am guessing probably not

For 32-bit ableton users, 8GB is more than enough (at the moment!... hopefully it might change soon...)

kennsore

Post by kennsore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 am

Hi

I've got an early 2011 Pro, and the first thing I did was to update to more RAM (got the smallest amount of RAM when I bought it from Apple :) ). I think the HD can be upgraded as well, but this could mean a little bit more trouble due to heat issues, or so I've read. If the casing on the new non-retina Pro is the same as the old ones (probably is) some upgrades are possible. Here is a link to a teardown of the new Retina Display version, done by computer world.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ays_iFixit

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:10 pm

LOL I'm definitely getting a mac my friend, I leave the PC stuff to desktops.

Yeah I am leaning towards non-retina version simply because it is actually a better machine (faster clock speed, more HD space). The retina is the first of it's kind and too much of a gamble at that sort of price.

To the person whos macbook died 3 times: did you play games alot? I am concerned heavy duty task like playing a game will reduce its lifespan or increase chance of complications because of the stress it comes under.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

kennsore

Post by kennsore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

A bit off topic.. I certainly hope that Apple keeps building the MacBooks pro like they have in the past, making it possible for the owner to do repairs and upgrades to the hardware. I guess it depends on how big a success the retina version is.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:depends on your interface and software, i personnally wouldnt get the retina cause there is no firewire and the resolution has no use for my music needs, plus i want a hard drive
I have read that the new USB ports that are dual USB 2.0 and 3.0 may not work right with existing USB 2 devices. I would want to see others with my same interface (if USB) with a retina model and no issues before I'd go that route.

I think i will go with a new MBP but no the retina model. But then again the fact you can hook up 3 displays at once off the retina one is pretty hot.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Also worth pointing out that the new MacBook Pro laptops do not include an ethernet port.
That means DJs must have a dongle to connect to CDJ-2000s. 8O
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

strode420

Post by strode420 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:14 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Also worth pointing out that the new MacBook Pro laptops do not include an ethernet port.
This is just the retina model that doesn't have ethernet. the non-retina model still has ethernet. Although i have yet to meet one single person who actually runs their setup this way.

Only the hardest of the hardcore fanboys will be buying the retina model (i hope). There's no real point in owning one. The screen resolution on the standard pros is already high enough as it is.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm

strode420 wrote:
subterFUSE wrote:Also worth pointing out that the new MacBook Pro laptops do not include an ethernet port.
This is just the retina model that doesn't have ethernet. the non-retina model still has ethernet. Although i have yet to meet one single person who actually runs their setup this way.

Only the hardest of the hardcore fanboys will be buying the retina model (i hope). There's no real point in owning one. The screen resolution on the standard pros is already high enough as it is.
There are still many countries where wifi isn't prevalent. Also many hotels where the connection is wired if you travel a lot. At least internationally. There's an adapter though Apple sells to add the ethernet port that fixes that problem. Takes up an open port though.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm

strode420 wrote:

Why would you be a fanboy for going for the retina version? It's the same price as the high end 15" non-retina.