Dear Ableton, 64 BIT SUPPORT . NOW . PLEASE!!! PLEASEEE! :*(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Re: Dear Ableton, 64 BIT SUPPORT . NOW . PLEASE!!! PLEASEEE! :*(

Post by agent314 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm glad they didn't include Max for Live support in this release though, so people will be able to bitch about how shitty the 64-bit implementation is, now that they can't bitch about not having it

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm

D:

Maybe I can get one of those Pork Pie hats that Charles Mingus wrote that song about saying goodbye to. That wouldn't be so bad!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:48 pm

LOL!!! Awesome!! :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 pm

H20nly wrote:
friend_kami wrote:the people who wants and needs 64bit sure does make compelling arguments.

yeah about as compelling as: those kids are overweight we need more food!

at this point, what argument is there left to make? people want 64 bit. Ableton are/'will be' working on a new version...

what would be compelling at this point is some patience.

they'll announce when they have something to announce.

Quoting this post ^ again... for posterity.

http://www.ableton.com/articles/ableton ... it-support

now please everybody... start bitching about how 64 bit isn't working for YOU :roll:

oh and kami, i expect all your work to be done by the end of July since Live's lack of native 64 bit was the only thing stopping you. you should have a double CD out by August and have scored half the films at the next major film festival.

errorspending

Post by errorspending » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steo

Post by Steo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:06 am

This is maybe the one of the best news of the year for me !
I can't wait to try the beta !

However I have a question :
Can I install the 32- and 64-bit versions of Live at the same time?
Live Versions: Live 8.4 - Current OS: ALL
Yes.
BUT HOW ???

http://www.ableton.com/articles/can-i-i ... -same-time

((Steo))

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 am

^ i could be mistaken, but... run the installer??? it is just another version of Live. it should install right along side 7.8 or 8.5 or 8.2.1 etc etc. you should end up with an executable for each version... i.e. business as usual. Live does not overwrite previous installations, it just adds another.

Steo

Post by Steo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 am

Ok,

I was asking that because they recently changed the installation process on Mac OS X.
Before you had to drop a new folder, like you have 8.21 installed, and after you have 8.21 and 8.22. But now you overwrite the application since the new name is "Ableton Live 8".

For the beta, because the name of the app is "Ableton Live 8 beta", it's not a problem.
But when the 64bit version will be released, the name will change "to Ableton Live 8".
Or they will name it Ableton Live 8 64bit ??

You see what I mean ?

((Steo))

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:41 am

i do.

... but i am running Windows and i don't have the beta installed. i am basing my opinion on Ableton's typical process which has a built in security feature - not overwriting previous versions and thus corrupting older .als files created in prior versions of Live by default.

i have multiple versions of Live installed. at least two versions of 7 and i think about 3 versions of 8. each one has its revision number next to it. example: Live 8.1.1, Live 7.9

i recently un-installed about 11 previous versions and freed up several GBs of hard drive space in the process.

i cannot imagine them releasing a beta that suddenly overwrites what was always left intact in the past... at least, not intentionally.

Steo

Post by Steo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 am

H20nly wrote:i do.

... but i am running Windows and i don't have the beta installed. i am basing my opinion on Ableton's typical process which has a built in security feature - not overwriting previous versions and thus corrupting older .als files created in prior versions of Live by default.

i have multiple versions of Live installed. at least two versions of 7 and i think about 3 versions of 8. each one has its revision number next to it. example: Live 8.1.1, Live 7.9

i recently un-installed about 11 previous versions and freed up several GBs of hard drive space in the process.

i cannot imagine them releasing a beta that suddenly overwrites what was always left intact in the past... at least, not intentionally.
Yes that's basically how it worked before on the Mac too. You had a folder that was copied to your application folder so that you keep the older versions.
Now you copy the application directly (they are no folder anymore), so it overwrite the current version.

So the trivial fix is to copy the application to another destination and then change the name (like Ableton Live 8 64bit).
But as I said earlier it is not an issue with the beta version because their name are "Ableton Live 8 Beta".

OK, let's try the 64bit beta right now by the way !

((steo))

doom_Oo7

Post by doom_Oo7 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:55 pm

So when is 128 bit coming ?
I mean, nintendo was already 64, 15 years ago!
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am

THANK YOU ABLETON! even for the MAX-Runtime in Live 9 (i call it THE CAT) and what will be ABLE-TEN ?