Help set my delay/driver error comp settings?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aioffermann

Help set my delay/driver error comp settings?

Post by aioffermann » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:39 am

Hey all. I need someone to show me just how smart they really are.

I posted this in my recent thread about looper and audio latency with returns etc etc etc, but since I'm not getting much help on that thread I figured I'd create a new thread since the topic has changed so much.

So I have a group on track 54. In the group there is a drum rack track, a midi track bringing in midi from the drum rack track, and an audio track bringing in audio from the same drum rack track.

I also have 8 returns with different effects on each. All the returns go out to track 58, which goes out to ext outs 5/6.

I also have a group as track 45 with 8 tracks bringing in audio from their corresponding returns.

Then, finally there is track 59 with ext inputs 1/2. Inputs 1/2 have a cable coming from my soundcards 5/6, so ideally it would be bringing in an exact copy of track 58.

Monitor settings: Track 58 and 59 are set to "off" while the group's tracks on track 49 are all set to "in".
Sends activated/deactivated: Track 58's sends are deactivated. Track 59's sends are activated. All of track 49's group's track's sends are deactivated. Track 49 (the group audio itself) is activated.

So I play a midi clip on the drum rack's track. The audio is going to sends only. Hit record-enable on the audio track in the group so I can hear it. We have audio. Then I pull up the Send H amount all the way. Send H has no effects on it whatsoever. It's just a naked send.

Then I record a one bar clip, one at a time (since some are set to monitor "off"), for the tracks in the following order:

Track 54's group's audio track (track 57).
Track 45's group's audio track for send H (track 53).
Track 58.
Track 59.

With my buffer size at 64 samples and my driver error compensation at -8.89 (so that overall latency reads: 0) latency from least to greatest is in this order:

Track 58.
Track 45's group's audio track for send H (track 53)
Track 59.

So what I mean is that the first in the above list is what we're basing everything else off of. Track 58 is a little delayed relative to that. Track 45's group's audio track for send H (track 53) is a little delayed relative to track 58. And finally track 59 is a little delayed relative to track 58.

With my buffer size at 64 samples and my driver error compensation at 0 (so that overall latency reads: 8.89 ms) latency from least to greatest is a little different. In this order:

Track 58.
Track 59.
Track 45's group's audio track for send H (track 53)

Track 45's group's audio track for send H (track 53) becomes the tiniest of bits more late, and track 59 is a bit earlier.

Any ideas :D

EDIT:

PS:

So pretty much everything except for the return tracks and the tracks bringing audio in from the return tracks (in the group) can be track delayed I think. Even those tracks can be delayed positive values. If theres a way of finding exactly how many samples the delay is, I'd probably be fine. Can anyone help me out with that? The driver error compensation tutorial doesn't really tackle that. I don't get how to find an exact value.

Meef Chaloin

Re: Help set my delay/driver error comp settings?

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 am

I can't really offer much advice but I was recently having problems with recording returns and these two things solved my issues:

Add this to Options.txt:
-StrictDelayCompensation

Disable sends on tracks receiving audio from returns.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:01 am

I'll give it a shot but any sends that CAN be disabled ARE being disabled at the moment. By can I mean CAN be disabled while fitting with the templated functionality.

I'm more so looking for advice on driver error compensation settings (should I just make sure it says overall latency: 0?) and very specific track delay settings.

Thanks though! :D

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 am

Try the Options.txt thing I wrote, definitely made quite a difference for me (although can't remember if it was the return latency or latency from plugins)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:19 am

aioffermann wrote: I'm more so looking for advice on driver error compensation settings (should I just make sure it says overall latency: 0?) and very specific track delay settings.
it's impossible to achieve an overall latency of 0 ms!

the idea behind the driver error compensation setting is to allow you to empirically work out and then set what the actual driver latency for your audio interface is, because what is reported by the driver might not be quite right.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:43 am

Oh! So you mean Ableton guesses what the latency is, and then you can run some test and say "Oh, it's plus/minus this much" and adjust it?

If you nailed down the exact latency that your soundcard is going through, could you type offset into the driver error compensation field and Ableton would sync as if it's functionally at a latency of 0?

mayabong

Post by mayabong » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:32 pm

You should do the driver compensation help file...

Or just plug your output to one of your inputs with the monitoring off record the metronome going through it. Check to see how off the grid your metronome is and set accordingly. (make sure you turn direct monitoring off so you don't get that signal in the mix).

Setting it so it reads zero isn't going to work. :)

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Yea I realize that now :D

What I DID do (totally solved my problem at 3:30 in the morning last night :P ) was turn my driver error comp to 0 again, so overall latency reads: 8.89 ms, turned all the track delays back to 0, and set the track being sent all the return audio to "auto" instead of "off" so it can be my record monitor, and turned the looper on track 59 to feedback: 100%. I decided I can record the overdub audio itself onto track 59 and record it into looper just fine since it doesn't have the current layer's sound on it as well (before I was sending track 59's audio back to H and recording it on track 58 before I came over to record it back onto track 59's looper with 0 feedback and input set to "never"), and that I can record full loops by having a track 60 bringing in audio from track 59. This way if I want to revisit a whole loop later I can just send track 60 to send H, and if I just want to rebuild a loop from earlier parts I can do it all in track 59 OR if I want to to get really luxurious I can have each scene record all the audio for my instruments as well as the new overdub part AND the current whole loop.

Bam.

It's a mouthful. Maybe I'll clean it up a little later if anyone's interested, although I don't think I'm discovering anything new here. It's probably just new for me.