Automap 4 with Novation Impulse and Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: Automap 4 with Novation Impulse and Ableton Live

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 am

I read many people having issue with Automap4. I don't think it's caused only by users environment.

randallp

Post by randallp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 am

I called UK Novation technical support about the Automap "8knob GUI" not appearing with Live. He told me that in Live 8.2.7 (I think that was the level, but the latest Live anyway), Live has been more closely integrated with the Impulse - just use the supplied template #4. I did and it works fine. He told me templates are the way to go.

The Impulse docs aren't very clear. Right at the end of the manual it says this. The first 4 plug-in parms are on page 1, page down to get the next 4 etc. This works fine.

I started Logic briefly and it still has the "8knob GUI" thing via Automap.

So, I guess I'm happy. I can't mouse ona control, twiddle and get it mapped, but do I need to do that anyway I wonder? I presume (only 2nd day with Impulse) I can modify templates with midi mapping but I'm not sure (or even if I need to)

Am I happy? Should I be?
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

glamourpuss

Post by glamourpuss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm

the impulse works differently in Live DAW, in fact its not used and that the impulse controller sends midi signals directly to live. Automap does not form the interface to live when using the impulse and can be closed on completion folloowing setup showing te daw set up, see the last couple of pages in the impulse manual. Im waiting on information on mapping controls for the impulse from novation as I use the sl mk2 with automap.. so need automap open when using this , will post the responces when I get them, as for the quality of the product (which isnt the thread here and needs a new thread start, I like the controller, the $ you pay you gat a good stable solid controller, with a good key action, which I class as between a synth and a piano, exactly what it says on the advertising.
Gareth Bellamy
DJ/Producer
Programming Director Tractor FM 88.2
New Zealand

c023-dev

Post by c023-dev » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Cool stuff...

Yeah seems as Novation did bridge out the Automap GuidedUserInterface and just works out of the box as you would expect (without knowing Automap 3.x etc) That was my issue too. I kept looking for the GUI but you dont need it, its designed to use Abletons Midi functions and that's cool imho.

Makes set management cleaner again. Thanks Novation an Ableton!

Eunjihan

Post by Eunjihan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 am

I had the exact same problem with my impulse and Live 8 and 9. It works to an extent, but without the Automap GUI, I'm bringing it back. I was looking forward to being able to assign controls etc with the software window, because the Impulse's way of doing this is counter productive. I mean having to press two buttons at once to do something is stupid. Why couldn't they have more buttons like the number pad on the axiom for extra commands? Also, why isn't there a button to "arm" tracks? And why isn't there a simple button to go up a bank if you are in a plug-in? Instead you have to go through hoops to get it to work right. Such a pity. The keys and drum pads are really nice and it does look good, but you can see why it's so cheap. They skimped on giving it the full features of the sl mk ii. I would've bought that keyboard, but the "drum pads" are a joke.
I have the axiom pro and although it ain't perfect, it's more user friendly than the impulse. I saw the guy using the Automap interface with Reason in the shop and it looked great. Pity it doesn't work with poxy Live.
Amazing how they spend so much time on things like Max 4 Live and Push instead of making the DAW more solid and compatible with other controllers? Do they really think Push is going to be the end all and be all? I don't think so. Call me old fashioned, but the black and white keys on a keyboard are a design classic and are going to be with us for a very long time. I can't see Push having the same staying power somehow.
Ableton, just get your head out of the dark cavern that is your ego and just make the DAW more user friendly and flexible for people who don't think Max4Live and Push are the dog's b*******

PeterChapman

Post by PeterChapman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:42 am

I had trouble getting Automap to enable Ableton Live to recognise my Novation Impule 25.

After many attempts and trying all sorts of different things, I finally found out what my problem was... I had the USB plug in before I ran the Automap setup.

When I tried running Automap setup before I plugged the USB for the keyboard into the computer, and then only plugged it in at the point it says to plug it in during the setup operation... then things went differently. This time it said it had to download a software update (an update for the keyboard I think it was, it definitely wasn't "download the latest Automap"). So it did this and installed the update. Then the setup process continued. Once it was all complete, I found I could then play the keyboard and it would play stuff in Ableton, whereas beforehand Ableton was not responding to the keyboard at all.

Margo118

Post by Margo118 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having similar problems with my Novation Impuls and Automap.

Everything seems installed just right, I do the software setup and am able to use Ableton Live perfectly but I can't acces direct Automap control.
So when I click mixer/plugin mappings I get the message, "no software to connect to" (although I'm able to use Ableton Live).

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :)

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Faabb

Post by Faabb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello to all
I'm another person with the same problem in automap 4.7 - Impulse 49 - Ableton Live. I have looked at many forums. I have read of many people with the problem "no software to connect to", but it seems that nobody has a solution. I've tried everything. Unlike many people, the point near ableton live "sotware setup" is green. But both rotatory faders that do not work in ableton live. The rotatory them can be mapped as a midi controller classic, but the faders do not. So I have a keyboard so great but without controls ... But someone who had managed to solve this problem?

estibi

Post by estibi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 am

I have the same problem with my Impulse, but I intended to not use Automap in the first place.
Did you ask Novation's support about that?