Melodyne Editor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heavensdaw

Melodyne Editor?

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi guys.. I have received the summer discount offer from Celemony to upgrade from Essential to Editor for 149 euros.. Seems like a pretty good offer.. I have just sold a few 3rd party plugins and have a bit of spare cash to drop on this deal..

I know what Editor offers features wise over Essential.. and I'm thinking 'go man go'!

Thought I'd ask you guys that are working with Editor how you dig it.. :)

Cheers

Hd

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Melodyne Editor?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:29 pm

To be honest I don't use it a ton, but I am absolutely amazed by what it can do. Editing polyphonic audio material as if it was midi? I'm still in disbelief. Pretty frickin' cool. And of course that's the biggie of editor over essential. Polyphonic editing rather than mono.

Should be a remixers best friend.
Professional Shark Jumper.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Yo, that is a pretty incredible thing to be able to do.. I wonder how much I'd use it too though..

The thing that turns my head the most is the audio to midi feature.. I could see myself using that pretty often..

As for the rest of it.. Live itself does do quite a bit of what Melodyne offers, but I'm thinking Melodyne is that bit more focused on the whole audio manipulation thing, hence making it faster workflow wise, more visually attuned and maybe better sounding?

The formant filtering is pretty cool too..

Hd

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 am

I don't think Live's audio editing comes anywhere near it. Except for the ability to stretch and move slices around. In melodyne, you can take an audio sample of a piano chord and totally change the chord structure to fit your song! You can even adjust minor things like the vibrato in a voice to be more or less of it. You can change the pitch when it rises/falls at the start or end without messing with the rest etc. Change the lengths of different notes, add new ones by copying others and change the chords... There are many things you can do. But yeah, splitting up polyphonic recorded material like a piano passage and turning it into midi is pretty wild. You could take a song you like and extract the midi to have it played by some software instrument. Totally nuts.
Professional Shark Jumper.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Totally nuts.
:) It is indeed!

I'm thinking singing the parts and getting midi out would be freaky cool also... so often through my lack of technical ability on the keys and guitar.. my ideas get compressed... It's a lot cheaper and much more practical than a midi guitar too!
Timing is also a strong point to consider ie playing the guitar for example, and transferring the feel of your playing back to midi..

Hd

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 am

I really like having editor. I only scratch the surface and always feel that it deserves for more attention than I give it. :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

donmich

Post by donmich » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 am

Its helped me break free of my aversion to printing midi stuff to audio. I bring my traditional instruments out more. I find myself being more willing to record things to audio for later use in Alchemy, Absynth and Iris knowing that I can alter the performance later. Its one of those tools that actually gives me ideas I wouldnt otherwise have (Live is is like that too).. I like technology like that. For $150, forget about it...

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 am

i actually use the audio to midi more often than correcting vocals.. great plug.. especially with the integration with S1.. i hoping since ARA was made public that ableton would incorporate it into a future version

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 am

teetering...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

nuxnamon wrote:i actually use the audio to midi more ..

Hi can you give me some more info ideas how this works for you?.. it's probably the main attraction for me
great plug.. especially with the integration with S1.. i hoping since ARA was made public that ableton would incorporate it into a future version
What do you think are the chances of this happening?
fishmonkey wrote:teetering...
I know that one! have you 'teeterd' yet?
Hd

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 am

I also got this offer and recently purchased Melodyne Editor.

It's pretty amazing cleaning up mis-played takes, and also I've been using the audio to midi function heaps.

I do a bunch of direct guitar input into reverbs and delay and looper. To then capture these abstract layered loops and use Melodyne to convert to midi notes is just incredible actually.

A really awesome creative tool, not just a functional / corrective tool.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:43 am

am wrote:
I do a bunch of direct guitar input into reverbs and delay and looper. To then capture these abstract layered loops and use Melodyne to convert to midi notes is just incredible actually.

A really awesome creative tool, not just a functional / corrective tool.
Cheers 'am' .. thats just the kind of thing I'm wanting to hear about..

Does the midi output 'velocity' too?

Hd

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 am

How accurate is the audio to midi... let's say I feed it a clip from a song that contains live drumming, bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and strings. Would it be able to get me accurate midi notes fo the string harmonies? I have sme old funk/soul tracks i'd love to use this with.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 am

heavensdaw wrote:
Cheers 'am' .. thats just the kind of thing I'm wanting to hear about..

Does the midi output 'velocity' too?

Hd
Sure does! And you can also adjust the sensitivity of the amount of selected notes prior to exporting to midi.... Which is sort of cool if you want to trick it into doing things like getting extra harmonics from acoustic instruments.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:29 am

UCAudio wrote:How accurate is the audio to midi... let's say I feed it a clip from a song that contains live drumming, bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and strings. Would it be able to get me accurate midi notes fo the string harmonies? I have sme old funk/soul tracks i'd love to use this with.
From my experience it is quite accurate on individual polyphonic instrumentation. I have not tried it on a whole mix before, but I'd imagine you may have to do a fair bit of cleaning up of the sample both before getting it in Meoldyne for it to work the way you want.... Like trying to isolate the strings part with EQ or with an editors like izotope rx?
web | fb | sc | twt | bc