The Only Drum Rack You'll Ever Need

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phonographiq

The Only Drum Rack You'll Ever Need

Post by phonographiq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 pm

So after I spent about 2 hours cooking up this tutorial, upon uploading to YouTube, I discovered Dubspot beat me to it.

BUT, in case you didn't see THEM do it, check it- this is a video demonstrating how I use Drum Rack to cycle thru all my drum samples with a default patch, thus cutting my setup time in, like, a million.

http://ohphono.tumblr.com/post/27424239 ... -drum-rack
:wink: :wink: :wink:
rhythmic surrealism / philadelphia / $$$
http://soundcloud.com/phonographiq

glitchrock-buddha

Re: The Only Drum Rack You'll Ever Need

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:50 pm

phonographiq wrote:So after I spent about 2 hours cooking up this tutorial, upon uploading to YouTube, I discovered Dubspot beat me to it.

BUT, in case you didn't see THEM do it, check it- this is a video demonstrating how I use Drum Rack to cycle thru all my drum samples with a default patch, thus cutting my setup time in, like, a million.

http://ohphono.tumblr.com/post/27424239 ... -drum-rack
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Penultimate Drum Rack? I don't understand why it is second last. Are you making another drum rack after this one and that drum rack will be the last drum rack ever?
Professional Shark Jumper.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 pm

IK OBIK wrote:Another solution is to check out Sampletank iOS which has some great drum kits to choose from http://www.ikmultimedia.com

key features:
•4-part multi-timbral professional quality sound and groove workstation
•Expandable sound library with more than 500 instruments in 16 categories
•Over 1,000 melodic and rhythmic patterns for groove creation or accompaniment
•Included 4-track MIDI recorder with audio export
•Built-in insert effects and master reverb
•Easy-to-use, intuitive interface
•Sound and effects editing with multiple parameters
•Play interface with piano keyboard, scale-based keyboard and drum pads
•Compatible with iPhone 4S, 4 and 3GS, iPod touch 4th and 3rd generation, iPad 2 and iPad with iOS 4.3 and newer
•Designed in concert with iRig MIDI interface for iOS devices
•Free version also available
I don't see how a sampler on an ipad is in any way an alternative to a built-in drum rack device. Very strange suggestion.

This is a confusing thread. :?

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:00 pm

been using this general technique for a year or so (vesper's tut) and that Last Ever ver for a month or 2

another reason Live rules the wasteland, and another reason to llove live

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 pm

i dont think you are getting how this works ik obik...no thumbing, with midi controller yer scrolling like a mFer thru all your samples

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

what is so killer about it

is to set up the midi pattern (or store a bunch), get it playing and scroll thru on the fly to find samples that work well together...then add variety, velocity, lfo to hats, etc all that to taste..

great for layering too

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 pm

i mean vespers free tut called...how to layer drum hits (sic)...2 part thing where he explains the Samplers 128 concept.... that i just expanded on my own

how can you be a Live authority w/o drumracks thats crazy dude yer missing the boat, lol
Last edited by simmerdown on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm

A huge way to cut down on the processing and ram usage is to make all the samples on each pad into one audio file, and then duplicating that audio file for each hit and setting the start points. It is very tedious, but totally worth it. If your general usage of live is very laggy and you have a rack of 128's, it's probably because it has to access hundreds of audio files instead of one.

The quickest way to do it is make each sample an equal length (take the length of your longest sample, add a second and use the same additional amount of time to add to all the samples)

Someone else did a tutorial. What I personally did first was a batch process in Soundforge to add silence to all the samples and then continue in Audition as the tutorial instructed. This way it's quicker to set the start points because they'll all start at exact times apart ie 2 seconds. My template used to start with ram being about 1.2gb, now it's around 300megs and without the sluggish behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2cdBmQ ... ure=relmfu
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 pm

yeh the cpu is def a factor

the Last Ever kit runs at about 18-22% cpu for me

so i just do 99% of the drums first and freeze / flatten

or i just go with it, hasnt been too much of a problem ever

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 pm

I still want to know why it is the penultimate drum rack.

What is it second last to ???!!!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/penultimate

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm

IK OBIK wrote:My suggestion was simply an alternative available for those who do not want to thumb through drum after drum. :-)
I think the term you're looking for is shill.
"who knows the legality, but who cares?" not something I'd announce over the interweb. ;)

cool tip, video could be 2 minutes instead of 12 minutes but thanks for doing the work.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I still want to know why it is the penultimate drum rack.

What is it second last to ???!!!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/penultimate
on the Ableton forum... :mrgreen:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 pm

yeh the cpu is def a factor

the Last Ever kit runs at about 18-22% cpu for me
For me it was more of a ram issue but I was about the same with 18-22% when it was running. JuanSOLO mentioned a couple times recently that Live was running sluggish for him; I had the same problem and it was a huge turnoff working in Arrangement and I think in the back of my mind I knew it was because of the 128's but didn't want to go through the process of converting the samples into one file.

My main drum kit is 8 cells, each one having around 80-100 samples. If I wanted to swap one set of kicks to another one from my browser, it took awhile, like almost a couple minutes, just to wait for the computer to do it's thing. Even just dragging in another set of samples into a drum cell would take awhile.

Also, it used to take A LOT longer to load at startup as well as each project loading when I kept the samples separate. Now it's all a breeze.
All my main kits took a day to do and I still have remaining multi-kits but I just update them as I go along or when I have some idle time. It's tedious but totally worth it. And even though it is tedious, you get quicker at it the more you do it. Really the only tedious part is clicking back and forth between the sample and inputting the sample start time, but once you get into a rhythm/zone it goes by better.
ImageImage

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

just as a chef starts his shift focused on his 'mise en place' it's well worth the time to do some maintenance on your DAW. having drums laid out per personal taste helps a ton in starting songs.

re cpu factor; once the preset is imported into a set and the drums are chosen, clear the unused presets out. if you have to, freeze and flatten your set.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 am

Couldn't you make this process faster with slice to midi?

I guess this would make a drum rack within a drumrack... Or u could slide to samplers and then use the chain selector as your sample selector. Maybe the 128 samplers would negate the CPU benefits lol
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:26 am

IK OBIK wrote:My suggestion was simply an alternative available for those who do not want to thumb through drum after drum. :-)
your 'suggestion' is unsolicited spam.

something you appear to be good at.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter