New Ableton user, have question!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Hau5beat

New Ableton user, have question!

Post by Hau5beat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Hey everyone :) So pumped to start the world of Ableton. I have plenty of experience in many kinds of software but this is the first to ever throw me off a bit. I look so forward to learning more and getting those beats I make in my head and on my lap into actual sounds!

Speaking of, thats the kind of thought process I have. I swear if I could make the sounds I have in my head, an mp3, they would be enjoyed by many of you. So my idea is to learn Ableton8 enough to insert samples and make a recording (not as easy GUI as others thus far) and because i like to feel the music and move my hands, use the launchpad with my placed samples, to mess around, find the beats in my head, and record finally!

I know I talk a lot I am just excited haha

Do you guys feel the launchpad in the way i explain, is the way to go?

thanks! Daniel

Cymatic Kicks

Re: New Ableton user, have question!

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 pm

The Launchpad is pretty diverse, seems like it would. I think most people try and think of what they want the midi controller to do and then go from there. If money is an issue, I'd suggest getting a Korg nanoKontrol, it has buttons, knobs, and faders, multiple banks, I think I got it for $50, and then once you start using it, you'll start to see what you really want in a midi controller and then you'll be more informed on the Launchpad and whether it's a good fit for what you're trying to do.

Hau5beat

Post by Hau5beat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:12 am

I really like the idea of having knobs and faders! I think those along with launchpad and a small keyboard (eventually synth) is all I want to start messing with. Though usually the 120$ you can find a launchpad for would
Be a bit much, it's Xmas ;) how ever I think I will also look into the device you mentioned, so thanks for the reply!

I hope between tutorials and YouTube and such, I can learn quickly.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:19 pm

If you're getting the launchpad, you should get a nanokontrol series one anyway, they only cost 40 bucks. Nanokontrol series 1 with this free script (http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=5510) and the Launchpad with this (not free) script (http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live.html) will make for a ton of awesome. (getting max4live for monome emulation ain't a bad idea either, but that is quite a bit more of an investment) If you just get the launchpad, you'll get tired really quickly of constantly hopping over to mixer mode to make volume and pan adjustments limited to 8 stepped values.

mots

Post by mots » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,

if you think of the launchpad also have a look at the akai APC series (and if monoey is not an issue).
i love the launchpad (really portable and complete). the APC seems more complete and with direct access to controls.

cheers.

sexface

Post by sexface » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:33 pm

I still maintain that the Launchpad+Nocturn is the lowest-price, highest potential combination. Don't get me wrong, the NanoKontrol with the scripts are amazing, but for about $40, you can get a Nocturn, which has endless encoders. And those endless encoders basically mean that you are set for life (with some cagey programming).

I'm pretty sure that the Nocturn is the lowest priced MIDI controller with endless encoders (I'd love to be wrong!)

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 pm

That's pretty sweet that you can get the endless encoders for that price. Definitely a good choice. I like having the faders and a bunch of buttons too, but I do wish the nanoKontrol had endless encoders. To avoid some problems, I inverted the range on some things so that all the way up is off, and that won't mess with other banks where they control track levels.

If you want a cheap one with keys, the MPK Mini is amazing, best bang for the buck that I've found. I always bring it with when I travel, fits in my laptop bag, and I use it live all the time too.