MP3s don't import properly

timwright

MP3s don't import properly

Post by timwright » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm

I've check and can't see if it's been mentioned elsewhere but everytime I try to drag an mp3 file in it appears than the file is just over a minute long (the lengths for each file vary by about +/-8seconds). I've tried it with several and it's the same for each.

Bernd

Re: MP3s don't import properly

Post by Bernd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi timwright,

could you please send me one of the mp3 files that don't work to my email address (see signature). We will have a look at it. They might be encoded in a special way that we don't support yet.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

foetus666

Post by foetus666 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:25 am

I also had this reproducable problem.

MP3s from the one album all worked draging in except 1 of them where just a minute of audio was available.

Another of the mp3's when draged in had all sorts of strange digital mush looped for 5 minutes after the MP3 should have ended.

Win 7, profire 2626, asus mobo, amdcpu

Let me know if you need examples also.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:04 am

Hi foetus666,

the 1 minute issue we were able to reproduce already thanks to a file timwright sent us. But it would be great if you could send us the file that created those 'strange digital mush looped'.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 am

I get this too. If I open an mp3 up in Fission and resave it losslessly, Live sometimes shows more of it, but usually not.

Chris Luzz

Post by Chris Luzz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

i get the same issue

i had to resolve it by importing the mp3s into audacity and saving them as .wavs, once i did that, they worked fine.

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Yes, just confirming the same problem here with song-length MP3’s, but just curious: the shortened import problem continues even if I switch back to the current, 32-bit release (8.3.3) even if I don’t have Live create an analysis file, or if I delete the analysis file. The only fix is to delete the original MP3 from my hard drive, resave it again to my hard drive and then reinsert it into Live 8.3.3 so that the full-length song appears. Does Live store clip analysis information somewhere else that is shared across all versions?

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

MIDIpanic wrote:Yes, just confirming the same problem here with song-length MP3’s, but just curious: the shortened import problem continues even if I switch back to the current, 32-bit release (8.3.3) even if I don’t have Live create an analysis file, or if I delete the analysis file. The only fix is to delete the original MP3 from my hard drive, resave it again to my hard drive and then reinsert it into Live 8.3.3 so that the full-length song appears. Does Live store clip analysis information somewhere else that is shared across all versions?
Yep, in the decoded cache file. So apparently you need to delete it from the Ableton decode cache, then drop it in 8.3.3, otherwise it uses the same duff one that 8.4b2 made!

Hippiechick

Post by Hippiechick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 am

I have the same problem as MidiPanic's. I opened a DJ project in 8.4b2 64 bit (Mac 10.6.8), and noticed that about 25% of the mp3s were incomplete; only showing 28-88 beats and not the entire songs. I switched out and back to 8.3.3, and the same problem occurred. To further complicate things, I just got a new external hard drive to use as a backup for the first external hard drive, so I thought it might have been an incomplete clone job. But then I remembered I was able to play this project in it's entirety just a day or two ago. Perhaps it is the switching back and forth between Ableton versions that could have caused this?

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 am

Hi,

We found and fixed the problem in the upcoming beta version 8.4b3.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=182667

If the problem appears please open a new thread, I am locking this thread to keep overview of known problems for the beta 2 version.

best,
Mads