Live users with disabilities and injuries

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Re: Live users with disabilities and injuries

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

funken wrote:ouch!
That's pretty much what I said if you remove the swearing!

I got a fit of the giggles half an hour ago. Sooooo painful. And the more it hurt the more I laughed at the situation and the more it hurt. There seems to come a sudden cut off point though when your brain seems to decide it's definitely not funny any more. Damn me and my sense of humour.

Not nearly as funny as when I electrocuted myself in the face though. That had me laughing at least once every 10 minutes for the rest of the day.

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 am

Cool. Make sure you watch the videos/read the instructions re the Handmaster ball. And don't overdo it :) You might find you need less time on the computer to allow you're arms to rest from the exercises otherwise you can make it worse.

I don't miss scrolling much. I'm on Logic so no shortage of key commands to navigate with. I was tempted to get a trackpad for the occasional quick swipe but they're just bad news for rsi. I've wondered if fixing one sideways would be better but I think your arm would be in constant tension because you can't rest on anything. Tension is bad.
Psychological Stress -> Tension -> Lack of blood flow -> Hypoxia -> Soft tissue scarring & joint degradation -> Tendonitis & arthritis.

Good to make sure your wrist is flat (in a straight line with your arm) with the mouse. The only flaw with the 3M mouse is it's tempting to grip it. You want to just rest your hand lightly on the side. If the table is low I use it really close and in front of the center of my body. If the table is high I place it more out in front and to the side and rest my whole forearm on the table. You want to move the mouse with your shoulder not your wrist.

I hope the above helps. Changing your mouse, posture and taking breaks etc will bring you some reprieve but if you're not fit/strong the pain will slowly return, just in different places. Every day you work in pain is one step closer to the inevitable i.e. major damage that will take years of hard work to undo and/or permanent injury. Sounds a bit dramatic I know but this sh*t will shorten your lifespan.
MBP 2.3GHz QCore i7 4GB | Ultralite mk3 | 10.7.4 | Logic Pro 9.1.6

su

Post by su » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

funken wrote: Unfortunately I'm finding that stress kills mood for making tunes for me, hence the website to pass the time.
Somewhat off topic, but since the OP raised it... :)

I experience this exact same thing often. My job makes it so that I have a 2-3 hour window at night to work on music. This is usually at around 9 pm the end of a long day after everything else is done-work, chores, etc. I know myself well enough to know that music is just not fun when I'm not in the mood, so I'll read or watch tv instead.

Funken, respect for pushing through your pain and staying busy bud.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Only read the first page or so of posts. I do not have a disability,(physically, anyways.) But I do have a young daughter who suffers from Arthrogryposis.
That said I just wanted to say hello and let you know if you ever wanna chat or whatever, hit me up. I like meeting new p[eople and I know how it feels to have a TON of time on you r hands.
ANyway, cheers to you! Hope ya feel better and everything works out!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 am

Nice!!! That sounds really great. I live in Pittsburgh PA, USA. Its a pretty depressed area and very high un-employment (at the moment.) I have a few issues myself, nothing physical, but other stuff :/ >>> So for these reasons it's extremely difficult to find ANY work right now. Not sure how the economy is in the UK but over here it's quite shitty. The common man has been raped by rich, powerful corporations. Basically hi-jacked the free market and took every cent they could. I don't think we'll "recover" from this one. Waiting for revolution.
Anyway, ya, hit me up anytime.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 am

Theo Void wrote: I have a few issues myself, nothing physical, but other stuff .... The common man has been raped by rich, powerful corporations. Basically hi-jacked the free market and took every cent they could. I don't think we'll "recover" from this one. Waiting for revolution.
Thats pretty unhealthy thinking. Getting better is often kick started or accelerated by changing/altering your perception of what is going on around you. Granted this is a generalization as its tough to see the contributing factors in personal situations. There is benefit though to shifting perspectives. 1 deg of angle makes a big dif over 100 miles.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm

gjm wrote:
Theo Void wrote: I have a few issues myself, nothing physical, but other stuff .... The common man has been raped by rich, powerful corporations. Basically hi-jacked the free market and took every cent they could. I don't think we'll "recover" from this one. Waiting for revolution.
Thats pretty unhealthy thinking. Getting better is often kick started or accelerated by changing/altering your perception of what is going on around you. Granted this is a generalization as its tough to see the contributing factors in personal situations. There is benefit though to shifting perspectives. 1 deg of angle makes a big dif over 100 miles.
Ya, you're right. It is un-healthy thinking and I should alter my perspective. Of course there are personal factors that contribute to my general fucked up-ness (: / ) We'll just call it wreckage of the past. Some of this wreckage can't be cleared. I don't want to justify my negative thoughts by making excuses, though. I'm not miserable or anything. I'm actually a pretty happy person, but I do tend to focus on the negative when it comes to social, political, issues. That's because I read a lot of history and pay attention to what's happening. Anyone who lives in the United States and doesn't think something is terribly wrong, cannot be paying much attention. I'm not a victim of circumstance. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to. But around here, the deck is definitely stacked.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Theo Void wrote:
gjm wrote:
Ya, you're right. It is un-healthy thinking and I should alter my perspective. Of course there are personal factors that contribute to my general fucked up-ness (: / ) We'll just call it wreckage of the past. Some of this wreckage can't be cleared. I don't want to justify my negative thoughts by making excuses, though. I'm not miserable or anything. I'm actually a pretty happy person, but I do tend to focus on the negative when it comes to social, political, issues. That's because I read a lot of history and pay attention to what's happening. Anyone who lives in the United States and doesn't think something is terribly wrong, cannot be paying much attention. I'm not a victim of circumstance. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to. But around here, the deck is definitely stacked.
Remember this: How you see the world is a reflection of how/who you are. Plain and simple, the deck has always been stacked. If you didn't see it before its because your focus was somewhere else.

Mental health is of equal importance to physical health. So make plans to take care of both.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

I was diagnosed kidney failure in 2006 (had only 2% of the normal kidney activity left then). Did dialysis for a year and got a transplant. The operation wasn't successful so the new kidney had to be removed just after a week. Back in dialysis for almost 2 years and a new transplant in 2009. During this time I couldn't do music at all because I couldn't concentrate. Also, after the failed operation I was so emotionally drained that all the energy went to just coping with the situation.

Fortunately everything is great now. But as you might imagine, I do feel for the people who suffer from any kind of injury or disability.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I’ve never really spoken about this here on the Ableton forum but what the Hell, everyone else is doing it.

I’ve had fucked up health since 2001, which has kept me out of work since then.
I got some messed up virus and ended up having diarrhea (and other weird stuff) for 9 months.
I lost about 3 stone, and some days I wondered if I would survive the whole ordeal.

Eventually, I got a bit better, but I’ve remained only about 50% functional most of the time.

My symptoms have changed over the years too, and nowadays, aside from low energy, I have dizzyness, allergies and memory loss.
Apparently it’s M.E/C.F.S, but I’ve been given a handful of diagnoses by a handful of doctors over the years.
Over the last few years, I’ve had to give up music making for months at a time due to chronic ear and sinus infections.

Sucks to be me sometimes but I’m glad to be alive.
Peace.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Man, glad you recovered. Seems some people recover after months or years, and some never.

I think, like most people who go through a shitty time with their health, I’ve learnt a lot and grown as a person. I know that shounds cliche but it’s true. People tend to take their health for granted. Your whole perspective on everything shifts when you spend any amount of time suffering or staring your own mortality in the face.

I just wish all this personal development helped me make better music :lol:

tintala

Post by tintala » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Back in 2004 I fucked up my back royally. after a day of hard house painting went home took a shower , stepped out of the shower and BAM!!! Herniated L5 s1, put me in bed for 2 weeks and on heavy painkillers. After that it just got worse over the years, then my c6 c7 went out, but l5 s1 disc in the lower back is completely gone rendering me in constant chronic pain and disabled. I have now applied for disability but the cunts at the office have denied me 3 times!!! Now I have no disk left and it's bone on bone.

So now I I don't run my buisness anymore, my wife is the only one working with major resentment, so I started growing medical marijuana as it was legal where I live, I was supplying a few dispensaries and making some good money. Then , the legislation changed and fucked my grow business. Then,I sold all of my grow gear , took the money I had made and built my studio, now, i try to make music full time without pay..

Sometimes the pain is so damn bad I can't sit for long,and trying to be creative is a challenge. I have always wanted to make music full time though, now I am, I just aint getting paid for it.. need to finish good tunes.

Also have had relentless problems with software, especially Live, crashing all the fucking time, as i came from Reason which NEVER crashed, so now I have rebuilt my computer , learned how to backup and clone a good HD , started a whole new template in Live. Now , hopefully wil be on my way to finishing some tunes without software hangups. Very frustrating when you have put everything into it, your heart and soul, and savings, to only wind up with crashes and inconsistencies. Hard not to get depressed and give up totally.
Interesting thread though...

condra

Post by condra » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Shit Tintala I’m real sorry to hear that man.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm

fishmonkey wrote:fuck man, if you really suffer from all those afflictions then step away from the computer. seriously.
would you also just say fuck, steve vai, step away from the guitar. seriously?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:29 am

flowdesigner wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:fuck man, if you really suffer from all those afflictions then step away from the computer. seriously.
would you also just say fuck, steve vai, step away from the guitar. seriously?
wtf has this got to do with Steve Vai? Funken has some debilitating injuries going on, and long hours in front of a computer aren't the best therapy, even by his own admission. my advice was to spend less time on the computer.