Mountain Lion

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JMFOne

Mountain Lion

Post by JMFOne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Can't believe Apple are banging out another OS so soon. How do you guys feel about potentially annual updates? Does this mean constant stability issues for Live?
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

HeadrickProductions

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 pm

I would think it's gotta make it hard for developers to stay on top of things. My rule now is don't upgrade software, vst's os, controllers for at least year after release. I just can't imagine that quick releases like this are good for any kind of users.

I'm just afraid that since apps, phones, tablets are so profitable that we are going to see a decrease in innovation for laptops and desktops (mac pro updates?). Maybe not, but a business goes where the money is, hence why mountain lion (i hate these names) is the start of merging of osx and ios (for all the soccer moms who love their ipad but get confused when they buy their macbookpro :mrgreen: )
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

steko

Post by steko » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm not upgrading until they release hyena.

|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

botstein

Post by botstein » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 am

How do you guys feel about potentially annual updates? Does this mean constant stability issues for Live?[/quote]

It's always been every two years since '03. This one is only a little early. I think that it's important that Apple keep up their ecosystem between iOS and OS X.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 am

Meerkat update or FTW!!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 am

botstein wrote:How do you guys feel about potentially annual updates? Does this mean constant stability issues for Live?
New OS released in themsleves are not a huge problem - its happens. What is a problem is a new OS release without alot of notice towards the end of a a major product dev cycle as that can make a major dent in your schedules and/or planned release features etc for a well organised dev team which hopefully they replan for properly. OTOH, for a disorganised dev team, then stupidity happens - they try to cram in the extra compatibility testing and fixes without actually adjusting time/resources/budget to suit the extra work work, quality suffers, features suffer at the last minute and ultimately we users suffer.

I dont think most devs care what apple do timeline wise so long as they dont take away essential working features, or change thier business plan in an adverse way etc, what we do care about is apple being more transparent about what they are doing so that we can more easily accomodate their schedule into our own release schedule.

This is one thing that Microsoft seem to understand far better - hence why they have such long period between when you first hear about a new OS and get the previews vs when it is actually launched. They usually can state a couple of years in advanace what the rough release date will be be - which half of year, or which quarter etc. (I know - they slip as well.)

If Apple want to do a new OS release every year - thats fine, but I want to know that is their plan, so I can add slack into my own plans to accomodate it *properly*. The problem with Apple if even to their OSX devs they are quite secretive and thats were developing for the MS platform is more predictable if you make the effort to make good use of the notice you are given - which some companies manage to fail miserably with, however much notice they are given.
Nothing to see here - move along!

JayNiko

Post by JayNiko » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I've tried, went back to 10.6.8 because NI Kontakt & Reaktor started to ask for authorization few times a day, never happens with Snow leopard. I'm just too lazy to find the remedy ) Besides it looks like Live 8.2.6 is more stable with 10.6.8 )
Last edited by JayNiko on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:05 pm

I think it depends what they add aswell. IMO alot of these updates sound like patches which should certainly not be monetized. I mean imessages as the key selling point......
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

cids

Post by cids » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Mountain Lion works fine with Live 8.2.8...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 pm

IMO it's the same thing as Leopard and Snow Leopard. Leopard had some slight issues, Snow Leopard patched it up.
Lion isn't being heralded as the best Apple OS, bu Mountain Lion might fix all that.

The iOSing of OSX however is another issue, and I'll probably avoid updating for as long as I can because of it.
Sorry, but there are enough ways to access data in Snow Leopard, I don't need new versions of launchers and cuter versions of Mail etc.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

While it is true that a lot of the iOS interface elements are being brought over to OS X, things I've read seem to indicate that there's no intention for the two OSes to merge into one. I suppose that could change if they started making touchscreen Macs or something, but the way you interact with the machines is going to remain different for a while, I think. And I'm sure the fluffy Launchpad makes it easier for Grandma to migrate from her iPhone into a new Mac. I dunno how much power those processes suck up in the background, but I imagine they can all be disabled via the terminal, like I've been doing with the stupid Doucheboard since 10.4 or whatever.

I don't think Messages is the big news in itself; it's further iCloud integration that has become urgent to millions of users, and I'm one of the millions. If it were nothing more than the Photo Stream that squirts my iPhone photos to my iPad and two Macs almost instantly, that would, in itself, be awesome. But once you have a couple things like that that work (Reading List in Safari is pretty tasty), along with a bunch of rough edges like no Reminders app on the Mac, I'm all for a major OS update to give me that stuff, like, yesterday.

Don't get me started on iTunes Match though...talk about rough fucking edges. :evil:

Nurotek

Post by Nurotek » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 pm

So, Mountain lion and Live 8.3.3
Working ? yes or no ?

cids

Post by cids » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

yes
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

markhunter

Post by markhunter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Sibanger wrote:Meerkat update or FTW!!
Got the t-shirt... there already is (was) a good unix version called Meerkay :-)