Issues with creating a drum rack with tons of sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kvitamin

Issues with creating a drum rack with tons of sounds

Post by kvitamin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

So I've got a big library of sampled drum machines and I like making drum racks with different kits. My issue is that when I drag in 20-30 one hit samples into a drum rack, I need to manually change the release of each sample, the velocity, the volume, etc. You can't seem to select multiple pads and edit them together and I can't find a way to lay them out like when you slice to midi (besides dragging the samples onto the timeline, joining, then slicing to midi, which has its own problems)

Any thoughts? Any easy ways to map multiple samples to macro knobs to adjust those common parameters?

Evengy

Re: Issues with creating a drum rack with tons of sounds

Post by Evengy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

something like right click on the knob you want to copy and "copy to siblings".
or did you wanna control all knobs in real time?
(writing from phone)

LithiuMind

Post by LithiuMind » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Bah me too! The copy to siblings feature is GREAT, but we really need a "map sibling parameters to macro x" feature for racks.

My suggestion is to try working with Sampler in multisample mode instead of drum racks. This method of working with large amounts of samples is less CPU intensive, because instead of working with...say 128 different instances of simpler in a drum rack, you have 1 single instance of sampler which has 128 samples loaded into it.

Then just map out your controls using the built in features of Sampler, which are pretty extensive.

kvitamin

Post by kvitamin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Nice, never knew about the "copy to siblings". That should work for now.

I'll have to try out just using sampler in multimode though. Could definitely use a little more free CPU with a three year old Macbook

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 pm

My suggestion is to try working with Sampler in multisample mode instead of drum racks. This method of working with large amounts of samples is less CPU intensive, because instead of working with...say 128 different instances of simpler in a drum rack, you have 1 single instance of sampler which has 128 samples loaded into it.
^^^that...life altering discovery...except i drop the samplers inside a drumrack slot

my default drum rack has 3 kick samplers, three snare samplers, 4 hi hat samplers, an african hit sampler, asian hit...etc....all midi mapped for easy switching/layering....never, ever uses more than 5% cpu...unless i pile on fx and such...itstheshit :wink:

davidpag

Post by davidpag » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 pm

LithiuMind wrote: My suggestion is to try working with Sampler in multisample mode instead of drum racks. This method of working with large amounts of samples is less CPU intensive, because instead of working with...say 128 different instances of simpler in a drum rack, you have 1 single instance of sampler which has 128 samples loaded into it.

Then just map out your controls using the built in features of Sampler, which are pretty extensive.
Excellent suggestion here and exactly what I am trying to do at this moment (a forum search brought me to this post). Does anyone know of a tutorial video or step by step to achieve this? I see when you purchase sample packs with drum kits they are set up this way and I would like to do the same with my own personal samples. I also stumbled across a post or two where people speculate that this capability is reserved to developers only. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.8
3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:05 pm

davidpag wrote:
LithiuMind wrote: My suggestion is to try working with Sampler in multisample mode instead of drum racks. This method of working with large amounts of samples is less CPU intensive, because instead of working with...say 128 different instances of simpler in a drum rack, you have 1 single instance of sampler which has 128 samples loaded into it.

Excellent suggestion here and exactly what I am trying to do at this moment (a forum search brought me to this post). Does anyone know of a tutorial video or step by step to achieve this? I see when you purchase sample packs with drum kits they are set up this way and I would like to do the same with my own personal samples. I also stumbled across a post or two where people speculate that this capability is reserved to developers only. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Its called 128's
You can make a bunch ie hats kicks etc
Then load those into a drum rack
Map to macro
Then each cell has multiple sample choice using only 1 sampler per cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA94b0yX ... ata_player

davidpag

Post by davidpag » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks guys! I will be pursuing the information on both of these replies, starting with the former, shortly and if I have difficulty I will post again.
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.8
3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB