please advise on an orchestra VSTI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mireazma

please advise on an orchestra VSTI

Post by mireazma » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

Hello.
I'm looking for an orchestra VST that allows easy switching articulations in real time, especially legato. Like for instance have in the same track notes played in legato mode alternating with staccato, spiccato (although I can't always really make the difference between the last two), portamento/non-portamento, you get the idea. It's best if there'd be a dynamics as well (sforzando etc. I mean the dynamic of a note not of a phrase).
The idea is that I could control the manner with a knob so I'm not forced to use several tracks for different articulations. Or even better -- have a controller for the ammount of each articulation: i.e. with how much legato are the respective notes played.

As a sidenote, I'm not seeking filters, magics, multis and other prefabs (I like to do any combos myself, even if I'd trade off sound realism).
TBH, I was very satisfied with Edirol Orchestral controls, but I don't know a way to create/use articulations.

tecgen

Re: please advise on an orchestra VSTI

Post by tecgen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 am

I used NI Session Strings Pro for string sounds lately. When you load e.g. an violin in production mode you can switch between all articulations. Each articulation can be assigned to a specific note. Most of the time I use a different MIDI track that sends only these note to the same MIDI chanel in order to trigger the articulations only. So I have them separate from my melodies. I dont know if its possible to let a knob send midi notes.

Marco

giblespaul89

Post by giblespaul89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:10 pm

For full orchestra sounds I've always found Project Sam Symphobia is great for ease of use to get the a big sound. However if you're looking for editing articulations and just being more precise I'd suggest NI Session Strings.

mireazma

Post by mireazma » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Thank you for replying.
Symphobia has a legato button that can be assigned to a controller (on/off) which is fine; but nothing (that I know of) about other articulations.
On the other hand, I'll take a look at Session Strings.

topaz

Post by topaz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 pm

I thought only 6 articulations could be used per instance? are you saying all 29 articulations can be triggered via midi notes ?

Cheers
tecgen wrote:I used NI Session Strings Pro for string sounds lately. When you load e.g. an violin in production
mode you can switch between all articulations. Each articulation can be assigned to a specific note. Most of the time I use a different MIDI track that sends only these note to the same MIDI chanel in order to trigger the articulations only. So I have them separate from my melodies. I dont know if its possible to let a knob send midi notes.

Marco
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

jrob6716

Post by jrob6716 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 am

This might be a nice addition to any of those plugs

http://www.synleor.com/improvisator.html
jROB

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:38 pm

synthphobia

mihai

Post by mihai » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 am

eastwest sounds dope.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 pm

What about Evolved (or Evolved Mutations 1/2 if you wanted to save some bucks? Was listening to Damage demo, anyone have it/using it and/or Evolved/Evolved Mutations? I want to add martial stuff to my project and want some good cinematic drum stuff (not sure how much Kontakt 5 will bring to that mix with its kits, or Battery 3 for that matter).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Yes All These packs are good as well for drums

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm

The default orchestra sounds in the Kontakt library can all switch articulations on the fly within the same program. Spitfire Albion looks like a pretty cool budget orchestra library along the lines of symphobia as well.
Professional Shark Jumper.