Melodyne vs AutoTune vs Waves

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LutherBaker

Melodyne vs AutoTune vs Waves

Post by LutherBaker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm using Live to write full, ground up records (not remixing per se).

I came across an article today using Melodyne to polish up a vocal track - preparing it for AutoTune .... but I thought Melodyne did AutoTune? Do these two really compliment each other that much?

I have Waves Vocal plugin ... and it requires that I run the plugin in ARRANGEMENT view - which I'm generally not in until I'm finished writing the song ... so I find it cumbersome. Does AutoTune or Melodyne integrate more seamlessly with Live ... and in the Session View? Do they all need to play the track first and then allow you to come back and edit it?

Any suggestions related to workflow would be appreciated as I'd like to start using said tools and not sure exactly which will work more seamlessly within Live's Session view.

Thanks.

3dot...

Re: Melodyne vs AutoTune vs Waves

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm

why do you need to go to arrangement to use the waves plugin ?

LutherBaker

Post by LutherBaker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 am

I was on a long phone call with WAVES that day.

Part of it had to do with WAVES reading the entire sample in before it could track it properly ... and if I remember correctly, in Session view, the WAVES start and stop wouldn't recognize where I was necessarily in the clip. IE: if I looped the clip or started playing at a different point in the wave - WAVES transport would not follow my work. It seemed like having two separate transports since the WAVE meta data wouldn't start and stop with the clip automatically.

The solution they came up with was to do that vocal work in Arrange View - and then drag the result back to the Session view ... I actually think I posted some questions here about the problem awhile back or so.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 pm

LutherBaker wrote:Does AutoTune or Melodyne integrate more seamlessly with Live ... and in the Session View? Do they all need to play the track first and then allow you to come back and edit it?
I have Melodyne Editor. I have it set up as my default sample editor and use it in Session View on any audio clip.

As far as using it to "prepare for AutoTune" sounds absurd unless you really love the artifacts of Auto Tune 8)

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:03 am

u can use melodyne in session view or arrange, but you have to alter the actual file, vs processing it in real time. If you don't mind stopping to handtune everything real quick (you can use macro's and go pretty fast) than melodyne will be great.

autotune would be the winner if you wanted real time processing. (unless i'm wrong about this)
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:08 am

Melodyne is all you really need, it does pitch correction the same as any auto tune plugin, and you can edit each note down to the vibrato; theres no reason to use melodyne AND antares auto tune as far as i know.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:17 am

In all honesty I really don't think it's a bad idea to just correct the tuning in the arranger, then render it as a new audio file and import that into session. Firstly, you will always get better results if you go through it in that linear (arrange) way and tweak the vocals as you go so that you get it right. you really need to do it this way to get it more precise. If you want something realtime, auto-tune can do it, but it won't be as precise

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

melodyne w/live does require 'playing' the sample into melodyne. then you edit it in melodyne. i need to play with it more (i just have essential).

if you want to not have to do this, you have to use presonus studio one, which supports celemony's ARA - it lets melodyne just read from the buffer in the app without having to play it into the plugin first.

autotune is realtime. there are advantages to that (after all, it's realtime) but i'd expect better quality from an offline solution, since it can see more of the waveform, has more time to analyze it, etc. i have not used autotune to verify.

i think the reason they are using autotune here is because you can sort of 'play' it realtime via midi and put notes where you want them. you can of course do that offline with melodyne as well but it probably feels more like an instrument doing it with autotune. assuming they are using autotune to abuse the sound here, not do clean pitch correction (can't listen to it right now)

spinflux

Post by spinflux » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:30 pm

theophilus wrote:melodyne w/live does require 'playing' the sample into melodyne. then you edit it in melodyne. i need to play with it more (i just have essential).

if you want to not have to do this, you have to use presonus studio one, which supports celemony's ARA - it lets melodyne just read from the buffer in the app without having to play it into the plugin first.

autotune is realtime. there are advantages to that (after all, it's realtime) but i'd expect better quality from an offline solution, since it can see more of the waveform, has more time to analyze it, etc. i have not used autotune to verify.

i think the reason they are using autotune here is because you can sort of 'play' it realtime via midi and put notes where you want them. you can of course do that offline with melodyne as well but it probably feels more like an instrument doing it with autotune. assuming they are using autotune to abuse the sound here, not do clean pitch correction (can't listen to it right now)
Yeah, watch this showcase of ARA in Presonus Studio One. The guy tells us at the very end of the clip that other DAWs will follow using the ARA technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J8SFhoe10