quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simmerdown

quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 am

getting a slew of editor vids and such all of a sudden...is it about to ship or what?

Theo Void

Re: quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:35 am

DUDE!! I thought it was out already. I didn't preorder but I was planning on buying one in the next week or two? damn

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 am

website says this
QuNeos are now shipping, due to high volume of back orders please allow 4-5 weeks for delivery.
http://store.keithmcmillen.com/QuNeo/

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:02 pm

ahhh

started to wonder...look forward to what people say about em...

the mapping abilities look pretty awesome, versatile

the unit itself? does not exactly look bombproof...

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 pm

I ordered one through kickstarter and have not received it yet. Judging from what I have seen, they have shipped maybe 100-200 so far out of 600 or 700. Someone from Keith McMillan said they would be available for general sale in 4-5 weeks in a video I watched in March! I am highly doubting it is only 4-5 weeks away now either given they said they would ensure supporters on kickstarter got theirs first. I know they had production issues, but I paid for the thing 6 months ago at this stage! Hopefully worth the wait...

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

This is a very timely topic as I was considering ordering one myself.

I'm imagining orders to the UK would take even longer though!

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I ordered through Kickstarter in December, and have heard jack shit abuot a shipping date. Gonna be a while before they even get out to all the preorder supporters IMO. It's killing me, dying to get my hands on it.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Last I heard they had a problem sourcing a component, resolved the problem, and have been shipping units as fast as they can make and test them. The last Kickstarter backer update was in early July and said they had shipped to the first 200 or so backers. I haven't received mine yet, but I didn't join until later on.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm

i actually produce a product that relies on multiple parts and supply lines, a serious pita sometimes, and a lot of things are beyond the producer's control

one thing ive learned though, is to overestimate how much time to delivery, if you double your estimate, then beat that deadline, customers are generally happy...but, i learned that the hard way, several times, lol

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:Last I heard they had a problem sourcing a component, resolved the problem, and have been shipping units as fast as they can make and test them. The last Kickstarter backer update was in early July and said they had shipped to the first 200 or so backers. I haven't received mine yet, but I didn't join until later on.
I remember seeing your name when ordering mine - I think you were 2 people before me or something! I don't think they even have 200 sent out at this point as there are folk in the first 200 complaining they have not received a mail saying it has been sent yet.I think I was around 350, so not expecting mine for a while yet...

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 pm

yeh if there were 200 the net, utube etc, would be buzzing with first tracks and such...

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm

trevox wrote:I remember seeing your name when ordering mine - I think you were 2 people before me or something! I don't think they even have 200 sent out at this point as there are folk in the first 200 complaining they have not received a mail saying it has been sent yet.I think I was around 350, so not expecting mine for a while yet...
Oh, is there a place where we can see where we are in line? I must have missed that. I've got a project coming up that's sort of reliant on getting a QuNeo in the mail and it'd be cool to find out where I ended up.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:38 am

Just got an update. They're delaying shipments again because they aren't perfect. Ok, I understand.
Though, I've been patient and understanding, this is getting pretty annoying. Dude should have overestimated his delivery time.
Hi Backers,

We have been receiving regular twice weekly shipments of QuNeos. Some of you have received yours and this is great.

I have several hundred right now that work pretty darn well. (Check out some of the pix below). But I am not going to send them out. They're not perfect.

My bet is a lot of people would not know the difference between one of the units shipped and one sitting here in a box. I do. We do. After all this effort and time we are not going to send out pretty good instruments.

The problems are caused by things like tiny bubbles in a pressure stick adhesive or a component off center by a fraction of a millimeter. But they affect performance and we are shaking these issues out with each new batch.

To keep the software team cranking (as if I could ever slow them down) I have a new feature they are implementing: Drum Pad Emulation Mode.

On QuNeos with perfect sensors (which is all we will ship) we can make the feel of the pads emulate the response characteristics of your favorite controller (such as the Akai, Maschine, Korg, etc). There will be presets for easy selection of these classics as well as some of our favorite behaviors.

But you tweakers out there can start with a preset and adjust sensitivity of each pad, overall sensitivity, on and off thresholds, corner isolation amounts and run everything through a selection of hand crafted tables. And you can save all of this per preset.

-Keith
I do like that he's maintaining strict quality control, and I think I'd eventually realize that some x/y's are off center, and would be annoyed with shifty pads, but 4+ months from estimated release and sparse updates....ugh
ImageImage

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:36 am

shadx312 wrote:Just got an update. They're delaying shipments again because they aren't perfect. Ok, I understand.
Though, I've been patient and understanding, this is getting pretty annoying. Dude should have overestimated his delivery time.
Hi Backers,

We have been receiving regular twice weekly shipments of QuNeos. Some of you have received yours and this is great.

I have several hundred right now that work pretty darn well. (Check out some of the pix below). But I am not going to send them out. They're not perfect.

My bet is a lot of people would not know the difference between one of the units shipped and one sitting here in a box. I do. We do. After all this effort and time we are not going to send out pretty good instruments.

The problems are caused by things like tiny bubbles in a pressure stick adhesive or a component off center by a fraction of a millimeter. But they affect performance and we are shaking these issues out with each new batch.

To keep the software team cranking (as if I could ever slow them down) I have a new feature they are implementing: Drum Pad Emulation Mode.

On QuNeos with perfect sensors (which is all we will ship) we can make the feel of the pads emulate the response characteristics of your favorite controller (such as the Akai, Maschine, Korg, etc). There will be presets for easy selection of these classics as well as some of our favorite behaviors.

But you tweakers out there can start with a preset and adjust sensitivity of each pad, overall sensitivity, on and off thresholds, corner isolation amounts and run everything through a selection of hand crafted tables. And you can save all of this per preset.

-Keith
I do like that he's maintaining strict quality control, and I think I'd eventually realize that some x/y's are off center, and would be annoyed with shifty pads, but 4+ months from estimated release and sparse updates....ugh
Yep, pretty annoying. They were silly enough to give a delivery date of July around 6 weeks ago, so I was thinking I may get it in August. I'm not confident at all at this stage that I will even get it in September.

Similar to you, I am happy they are ensuring the product quality is up to scratch before sending, but they maybe should have paid a little more attention to the folk that funded the development. In the main, people are understanding of the issues and are just pissed off with not knowing what is going on. Given it has been so long since paying for it, the way I am looking at it now is that it will seem like getting a free toy to play with once it actually arrives. And if there is even a hint of them being sent to people buying them on general sale before I get it, I will be pretty pissed off...

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 pm

trevox wrote:Similar to you, I am happy they are ensuring the product quality is up to scratch before sending, but they maybe should have paid a little more attention to the folk that funded the development. In the main, people are understanding of the issues and are just pissed off with not knowing what is going on. Given it has been so long since paying for it, the way I am looking at it now is that it will seem like getting a free toy to play with once it actually arrives. And if there is even a hint of them being sent to people buying them on general sale before I get it, I will be pretty pissed off...
I disagree, I think they made their decision in good faith and are definitely paying attention to their backing customers. The units were coming in below spec and they don't feel it's appropriate to sell those since that's not what they promised.

This is just like any other project being delayed. It feels more personal since it was funded through Kickstarter as opposed to a traditional preorder system.

That said, it'd be cool to have the option to get an earlier but possibly lesser unit, although I realize this would damage their brand quite a lot by having questionable units out in the wild.