in what genre is most of the money?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: in what genre is most of the money?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 pm

nauseating but interesting, the Nielson breakdown of album sales by genre:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... try-Report

it's all about rock. learn those three chords and practice your snarl in the mirror.

here's a line not talked about much:
"The Nielsen Company & Billboard’s 2011 Music Industry Report

Album Sales Up for the First Time Since 2004

Digital Track & Digital Album Sales Reach New Highs

Overall Music Sales Break 1.6 Billion Mark for First Time"

so, all those illegal mp3s are just killing the industry. (that's sarcasm.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Angstrom wrote:yep, I was being sarcastic.

“Somebody said to me, ''But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.'' That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, ''Now, let's write a swimming pool.''”
Paul McCartney
could have been a serious comment by somebody, but coming from you I suspected irony.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:nauseating but interesting, the Nielson breakdown of album sales by genre:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... try-Report

it's all about rock. learn those three chords and practice your snarl in the mirror.

here's a line not talked about much:
"The Nielsen Company & Billboard’s 2011 Music Industry Report

Album Sales Up for the First Time Since 2004

Digital Track & Digital Album Sales Reach New Highs

Overall Music Sales Break 1.6 Billion Mark for First Time"

so, all those illegal mp3s are just killing the industry. (that's sarcasm.)
interesting, christian/gospel sells twice the amount of electronic music in the non-digital domain, and in the digital they're about even.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 pm

so who of you guys is producing christian/gospel?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm

There's actually some interesting info in that Nielsen report.

I'm surprised that dance/electronic sells so little compared to rock (digital downloads)

Dance/Electronic 39,095 3.1%
Rock 291,655 22.9%

But also that
, 3 smaller genres experienced double digital growth in 2011: Jazz, New Age and Electronic grew by 26%, 16% and 15%, respectively.

Jazz grew by 26% !?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 pm

yeah weird, when you live in berlin you tend to think 99% of music in general is electronic.

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:32 am

i would say genre doesnt matter as much as the curd size. produce something cheesy enough and they will come. A cheese curd is an orangish cheese byproduct that feels like Silly Putty but tastes a lot better. It was invented accidentally by UW cheese scientists attempting to create an object of pure cholesterol that would still squeak. Rats who are fed this remarkable food develop an unusual capacity to polka and drink beer. more cheese whiz please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwvL7n7NCQ

von haugwitz

Post by von haugwitz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Grappadura wrote:
von haugwitz wrote:Its Not about the Genre its about THE LOVE
you can Spende hours and hours since years for what YOU L O V E
and dont even earn just one bug
and this is nö pröbläm
If you D O IT WITH LOVE

IN L O V E

yours

Robert
Love dont pay no rent. I'm all for it though.
Thats right but if youre unable to make some money with it ... do a day job ! :)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I make money from doing cover versions.. both in a band and as a solo singer.. 100 + gigs a year sorts me out for paying the rent (not that I have rent to pay) This leaves me time to do my own thing.

Hd

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm

heavensdaw wrote:I make money from doing cover versions.. both in a band and as a solo singer.. 100 + gigs a year sorts me out for paying the rent (not that I have rent to pay) This leaves me time to do my own thing.

Hd
sounds like a good life

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Grappadura wrote:I assume making jingles is more profitable than say 8-bit death core. What kinda music would you do if you did it only for the money? Doing film scores is probably a nice way to get paid. Ring tones... What else is there?
trance with rihanna/usher etc on vocals

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:47 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
trance with rihanna/usher etc on vocals
yep that sounds like its profitable

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote: I take it you're both very young. as you move through life you'll encounter people with this ambition, I've met dozens. you meet people struggling through it, you'll meet people like the OP that talk a lot but don't DO anything, you'll meet people that struggle, you might even have a go yourself and go through band drama over and over.

in time you'll learn. for now you talk.

what is the OP doing now to get him to where he wants to go? everyone wants the payout, nobody wants to do the work.
Oh Tone, my condescending friend. It's not like the question was how to get rich quick.

Why assume he's not prepared to put the work in? It's just about looking into options. Why not ask around to get people's opinion.

As I've moved through life, I've met many who have made a living through music. Some have done alright, others have struggled. Few regretted giving it a go though. For a while at least.

A 56 year old guy I used to work with sacked in his job to be cruise ship singer/keyboardist. Not the most credible art form, but it payed about the same and he got to sail high seas getting hit on by divorced women in the cocktail lounge. Not a bad way to end your working live.

Point is it's not easy, there's a large element of luck. But I'm not get so bitter as to tell someone to not even consider it. Cynical enough to say you should have a backup plan, though.

db120

Post by db120 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:16 pm

"Maybe this is blasphemy to say, but I feel like [music] is not meant to be something that earning your keep depends on, because it will force you into making decisions in the interest of earning your keep, as opposed to the interest of the thing itself. And that’s a bad position to be in. It seems to me that the best work I’ve done— and maybe this is something other people can identify with— was because it was an end in itself. It was something other than making ends meet, it was an escape from all that."
JOHN MAUS  interviewed

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:05 pm

andydes wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I take it you're both very young. as you move through life you'll encounter people with this ambition, I've met dozens. you meet people struggling through it, you'll meet people like the OP that talk a lot but don't DO anything, you'll meet people that struggle, you might even have a go yourself and go through band drama over and over.

in time you'll learn. for now you talk.

what is the OP doing now to get him to where he wants to go? everyone wants the payout, nobody wants to do the work.
Oh Tone, my condescending friend. It's not like the question was how to get rich quick.

Why assume he's not prepared to put the work in? It's just about looking into options. Why not ask around to get people's opinion.

As I've moved through life, I've met many who have made a living through music. Some have done alright, others have struggled. Few regretted giving it a go though. For a while at least.

A 56 year old guy I used to work with sacked in his job to be cruise ship singer/keyboardist. Not the most credible art form, but it payed about the same and he got to sail high seas getting hit on by divorced women in the cocktail lounge. Not a bad way to end your working live.

Point is it's not easy, there's a large element of luck. But I'm not get so bitter as to tell someone to not even consider it. Cynical enough to say you should have a backup plan, though.
how to write without actually saying anything, just being a dick.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz