Completely beginner question regarding MIDI setup on Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Calcious

Completely beginner question regarding MIDI setup on Ableton

Post by Calcious » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi! As the subject suggests, I am a complete beginner when it comes to MIDI, and I have a question regarding hooking up this synthesizer-- http://www.zzounds.com/item--CASXWP1--to this audio interface--http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSAUDIOBOX--and then to Ableton itself. I have MIDI going from 'OUT' on my synth to MIDI 'IN' into the audio interface, and then a USB going from the audio interface to the computer. That is the description of the hardware, and I figured (most likely naively) that since everything is working properly (drivers are updated) and hooked up without problems, then it should work with Ableton easily. However, for some reason Ableton is acting like there's nothing going on in terms of any MIDI connections. I have searched the manual, YouTube tutorials, etc. for an answer with no luck. I'm definitely missing something here...in any case, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

BlackMath

Re: Completely beginner question regarding MIDI setup on Ableton

Post by BlackMath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Preferences
Audio/midi tab

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 pm

BlackMath wrote:Preferences
Audio/midi tab
Thanks for the reply, but I know where to adjust the settings (in the area you pointed out), I just don't know what they should be: The goal is to have it setup so that MIDI data FROM the synth is recorded into Ableton (I assume this involves a MIDI track...or is it considered an 'external instrument' or 'audio track?').

In the MIDI sync section, I have 'track,' 'sync,' and 'remote' all turned on for the input and output device (both of which is the Presonus audio interface). No control surface is selected (my guess is that this is for using the computer to operate the synth which is the exact reverse for what my goal is).

Not sure whether 'port type' should be MME or DirectMusic (my only two options), but neither work when I try them.

I am using the MME/DirectMusic for the Driver type in my audio settings, but I have ASIO4ALL (recommended to me to try to help correct this problem) and it doesn't help either...

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Ok so open a blank midi track
Record arm the midi track or switch the monitor to "in"
Then in the tracks midi from choose all ins or your presonus
You should see a column of circles spike yellow when you hit a midi note.
Now drop an instrument on that midi track and you should hear it

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Calcious wrote:
Audio/midi tab
Thanks for the reply, but I know where to adjust the settings (in the area you pointed out), I just don't know what they should be: The goal is to have it setup so that MIDI data FROM the synth is recorded into Ableton (I assume this involves a MIDI track...or is it considered an 'external instrument' or 'audio track?').

In the MIDI sync section, I have 'track,' 'sync,' and 'remote' all turned on for the input and output device (both of which is the Presonus audio interface). No control surface is selected (my guess is that this is for using the computer to operate the synth which is the exact reverse for what my goal is).

Not sure whether 'port type' should be MME or DirectMusic (my only two options), but neither work when I try them.

I am using the MME/DirectMusic for the Driver type in my audio settings, but I have ASIO4ALL (recommended to me to try to help correct this problem) and it doesn't help either...
Does your interface not have its own custom asio driver
Seems it should. I doubt that presonus wouldnt have that

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 pm

BlackMath wrote:
Calcious wrote:
Audio/midi tab

Does your interface not have its own custom asio driver
Seems it should. I doubt that presonus wouldnt have that

Yeah i looked it up for you
You need to go to the Presonus website and download the updated drivers for your interface

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:46 am

Hey, thanks a lot man...I went to the website and downloaded the drivers...it installed...but still nothing going on...wtf could it be?? It seemed like you were on the right track with the instructions about the MIDI track and such, but still no luck...I'm going to keep tinkering with it...Thanks so much again...

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 am

Calcious wrote:Hey, thanks a lot man...I went to the website and downloaded the drivers...it installed...but still nothing going on...wtf could it be?? It seemed like you were on the right track with the instructions about the MIDI track and such, but still no luck...I'm going to keep tinkering with it...Thanks so much again...
Did you reboot after you installed the new driver?

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 am

BlackMath wrote:
Calcious wrote:Hey, thanks a lot man...I went to the website and downloaded the drivers...it installed...but still nothing going on...wtf could it be?? It seemed like you were on the right track with the instructions about the MIDI track and such, but still no luck...I'm going to keep tinkering with it...Thanks so much again...
Did you reboot after you installed the new driver?
Ya, it restarted...

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm

So did you arm the track and hit some keys on the keyboard to see if you are getting input from it? Also look at the upper right side of the Live GUI to see if there is any input being seen.

If you are seeing the yellow lights bounce up/down in the armed track then you having things connected correctly. Drop an Operator or other Live synth onto the track and see if you hear anything then.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:So did you arm the track and hit some keys on the keyboard to see if you are getting input from it? Also look at the upper right side of the Live GUI to see if there is any input being seen.

If you are seeing the yellow lights bounce up/down in the armed track then you having things connected correctly. Drop an Operator or other Live synth onto the track and see if you hear anything then.

So...Everything's in place...but not getting yellow lights or anything in the corner that's telling me a MIDI is being received, but the other clips I can hear and are responsive...

theextravaganttraveller

Post by theextravaganttraveller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 am

It sounds like your options are set up correctly in Live... You might want to check whether you're receiving MIDI in a different program - if you are on Mac, MidiMonitor is a good one, on PC I think MIDIOX should do the trick (both are free just google them). This will at least tell you whether it's a problem the way you're setting up Live, or the Presonus hardware / MIDI driver. My guess is the latter.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Calcious wrote:So...Everything's in place...but not getting yellow lights or anything in the corner that's telling me a MIDI is being received, but the other clips I can hear and are responsive...
Not sure if Sync section will be an issue. For both my In/Out I only check the first/last boxes of the 3 available.

Also, is the Presonus plugged in constantly to the computer? If so, unplug it and wait a minute. Plug it back in and wait a minute, then load up Live, enable Record on MIDI track and press some keys on the keyboard (assuming it was still connected prior to unplug/re-plug - if it wasn't and Live is up, exit live, unplug Presonus, plug in keyboard, re-plug Presonus and wait a minute, then load Live again). See if you see the yellow lights on upper right side of Live GUI flickering and on the track with record armed. If this didn't help I am not sure at the moment it could be. Check your keyboard for any MIDI settings you may have access to as well.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 pm

theextravaganttraveller wrote:It sounds like your options are set up correctly in Live... You might want to check whether you're receiving MIDI in a different program - if you are on Mac, MidiMonitor is a good one, on PC I think MIDIOX should do the trick (both are free just google them). This will at least tell you whether it's a problem the way you're setting up Live, or the Presonus hardware / MIDI driver. My guess is the latter.
Hey thanks for the input...it seems that MIDI isn't being picked up anywhere (I tried MIDIOX)...guess it's not Ableton alone that's the problem...thanks for the input...

Calcious

Post by Calcious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:
Calcious wrote:So...Everything's in place...but not getting yellow lights or anything in the corner that's telling me a MIDI is being received, but the other clips I can hear and are responsive...
Not sure if Sync section will be an issue. For both my In/Out I only check the first/last boxes of the 3 available.

Also, is the Presonus plugged in constantly to the computer? If so, unplug it and wait a minute. Plug it back in and wait a minute, then load up Live, enable Record on MIDI track and press some keys on the keyboard (assuming it was still connected prior to unplug/re-plug - if it wasn't and Live is up, exit live, unplug Presonus, plug in keyboard, re-plug Presonus and wait a minute, then load Live again). See if you see the yellow lights on upper right side of Live GUI flickering and on the track with record armed. If this didn't help I am not sure at the moment it could be. Check your keyboard for any MIDI settings you may have access to as well.
ARGH! Sorry just getting frustrated over here (not at yall at this situation)...checked the keyboard settings and they seem good (I assume you keep the synth as 'master' since I want the inputs to come from it and not anywhere else...also 'MIDI out' option on the synth says 'MIDI' as distinct from the other option 'key') I tried all the re-plugging in and such to no avail :( Still going over stuff though...Thanks again for the input...