MIDI delay with Waves Tune or Celemony Melodyne

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LutherBaker

MIDI delay with Waves Tune or Celemony Melodyne

Post by LutherBaker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:29 pm

I start a new set and record a simple 4 bar baseline with Live's Analog.

I record a simple vocal as well and all is playing nicely together.

I attach either Waves Tune or Celemony Melodyne to the vocal track and do some minor editing. Still fine.

I then create a MIDI track and map that to an external keyboard - and notice a severe delay between when I hit the key and when the keyboard sounds. I copy the simple 4 bar baseline clip from the VST to the MIDI track and play them together and the MIDI track severely lags.

If I remove the vocal processor from the vocal track, the MIDI track suddenly lines up, but with the pitch processor running, it doesn't matter what buffer size I use, 64 or even 1024 samples, the MIDI track always has a serious delay.

I can manually change the MIDI track's "Track Delay" to around -140ms and the MIDI lines up - but that doesn't help me when I'm recording the MIDI track - nor do I want to have to visit every MIDI track and delay it negatively like that ... when I'm using some type of pitch tool.

Can anyone explain the problem and/or suggest a workaround? I haven't tried editing the vocal externally (I guess Melodyne has a stand alone) and then just dropping the result on a new track -- but I'd sure prefer to do everything right within the session editor.

Weird, I've never experienced something like this before -- just the MIDI tracks get delayed?

Thanks in advance.

LutherBaker

Re: MIDI delay with Waves Tune or Celemony Melodyne

Post by LutherBaker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Ok - scratch that.

Listening through headphones - I can hear that the external keyboard is playing perfectly in time.

It is my audio arming/recording that is delayed. If I have my interface set to 64 samples, then the plugin effectively seems to add 256 or 512 to that number.

So, how does one record new audio tracks if this plugin is attached to a vocal track? I need NEW vocal tracks .... and eventually, I will want to track (record) the keyboards onto the record. How can I do that when there is such a delay?

I can turn the plugin off and no change. I can change the buffer size and no change. I can turn the track off or freeze it but not change. The only answer is to remove the plugin altogether - otherwise, new vocals are tracked late - even if the vocalist can somehow keep perfect time. It really feels like the plugin is adding somewhere between 124~256 samples to the buffer - whether or not I am actually using it or the track is on. Just adding to the plugin to the vocal track somehow affects the overall audio buffer.

Does that mean I have to wait until the entire record is tracked before applying something like this to a vocal track?

Is there anyway around that? I sort of need to hear this effect to continue writing. Must I track the results of the pitch plugin to a new audio track and then remove the plugin from the original vocal track?

LutherBaker

Re: MIDI delay with Waves Tune or Celemony Melodyne

Post by LutherBaker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Anyone else experiencing this? Recording new audio while running Tune or Melodyne on any other track seems broken?