Machine Drum or Tempest...or ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Machine Drum or Tempest...or ???

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:13 pm

So I have finally reached a place where I am kind of tired working with my Laptop, especially for Drums and Sequencing.
I am definitely wanting to sort of create my hardware version of an AbletonLive rig.

SO, I have been eyeballing the Tempest since way before it came out.
Contemplated going down a Modular rack path by getting a case and building my own drum machine with hardware sequencer.
I decided to look at something that offers sequencing/drums in a smaller, ready to go package.

I looked at Electribe ESX & EMX, I like the idea that these record automation of parameters, it seems geard towards working fast,performing live and in the studio, has an electro harmonix tube (i dig this, even if it's silly)
Then I started looking at Elektron Monomachines and Machinedrum and of course Octotrack. I got way more excited about these than I had in the past. They record automation, offer 64step parrters, look designed towards fast performance live and in the studio.
After looking at prices, and wanting something right now, I even thought to get a launchpad since I know Ableton well along with M4L and could use one of the sequencer patches and customize it to my liking. This decision is out.

So I want a nice hardware sequencer/drum machine(<maybe).
The Tempest
-CONS
does not allow stitching patters together in a 'song mode' yet.
only the touch strips record automation, but you can attach parameters to them per pad?
-PROS
all analogue drum sounds
drum pads
multiple outs

The Machine Drum
-CONS
lots of sub menues with a sort of Macro controls knobs thing. remind me of the APC40 and I wonder if it will feel like where parameters are cutomized? (can be good, can be bad or overwhelming) Kinda like KORE?
-PROS
64 steps per pattern, I tend to work in 2bar 4Bar and up Loops, rarely 1Bar
Inspite of the sub menu biz, it looks fast like a fast workflow when learned.

So now I am wondering.
Should I get Tempest first, then complement it with something Like Monomachine or Octotrack, and let one of the Elektron devices tie patterns together and trigger the Tempest?

My head is spinning a bit and I wanna make a solid choice as well as hear some other ideas behind performance electronic drums and sequencing.

3dot...

Re: Machine Drum or Tempest...or ???

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 pm

tempest.tempting.tempted

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 pm

My vote would be Machinedrum UW, it's probably one of the easiest machines to learn, and has a ton of wide ranging sounds. Not sure what you mean by lots of sub menus though, there's very few at all (especially compared to the Octatrack and Monomachine). You basically have 3 screens for each sound, and 2 of those are the same across all sounds. Dead simple and highly performance oriented.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Geez, how can you justify the coinage for some of these hardware beat-box/drum machine things? I looked at the ones mentioned and then checked price....WTF!? > $1k for any of them. I personally don't do music as a professional gig (i.e. club stuff on weekends/weeknights) so I can't and won't justify that kind of coin, especially for drum stuff. MPDxx or padKontrol or LPD8 would (and do) suit my needs. I do tend to work on the DAW/Laptop more than tapping in progressions lolz, guess I should use the gear more! But I digress, that's a lot of coin/scratch to drop on hardware and I'd have to be having income to support a purchase like that from gigging (which I don't do) or have a dad with credit card which he lets me blow the coinage on (not this kid, got my own CC cards ;-) ) or a sugar mama who takes REAL GOOD care of me....have gf, she ain't got the coin to let me blow on gear but that's ok, she's not into this stuff anyways.

More power to ya if you can afford stuff like that. I'll hold onto my LPD8, padKontrol, M50 synth, MS-20 USB analog and myriad of samples/library stuff and go nuts from there!
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:42 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:More power to ya if you can afford stuff like that. I'll hold onto my LPD8, padKontrol, M50 synth, MS-20 USB analog and myriad of samples/library stuff and go nuts from there!
I worked real hard, pulled up the boot straps kinda dedication to pull the money for nice gear, and it wasn't from making music that's fer sure.

I'm tired of VST's, clickin around on a mouse or changing the way my APC40 works, having millions of options etc.
I'm thinking like
Tempest or Machindrum going to a dedicated small mixer with sends, inserts of FX pedals on various hits
Running all that^ with a SlimPhatty and a some modular gadgets through a multi channel DJ mixer with a master FX send routed to stuff like a Kaoss Pad and other crazy FX pedals, some looper action, plus vinyl on the side.
Everything's hands on mad scientist style dubbed out darkwave hiphopish performing labratory.

I like the parameters hardware establishes.
But I like hardware thats performance friendly, with a hint of modularity.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:Geez, how can you justify the coinage for some of these hardware beat-box/drum machine things? I looked at the ones mentioned and then checked price....WTF!? > $1k for any of them. I personally don't do music as a professional gig (i.e. club stuff on weekends/weeknights) so I can't and won't justify that kind of coin, especially for drum stuff. MPDxx or padKontrol or LPD8 would (and do) suit my needs. I do tend to work on the DAW/Laptop more than tapping in progressions lolz, guess I should use the gear more! But I digress, that's a lot of coin/scratch to drop on hardware and I'd have to be having income to support a purchase like that from gigging (which I don't do) or have a dad with credit card which he lets me blow the coinage on (not this kid, got my own CC cards ;-) ) or a sugar mama who takes REAL GOOD care of me....have gf, she ain't got the coin to let me blow on gear but that's ok, she's not into this stuff anyways.

More power to ya if you can afford stuff like that. I'll hold onto my LPD8, padKontrol, M50 synth, MS-20 USB analog and myriad of samples/library stuff and go nuts from there!
what a pointless post...
you want gear you got to work fool..

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm

3dot... wrote:
darkenedsoul wrote:Geez, how can you justify the coinage for some of these hardware beat-box/drum machine things? I looked at the ones mentioned and then checked price....WTF!? > $1k for any of them. I personally don't do music as a professional gig (i.e. club stuff on weekends/weeknights) so I can't and won't justify that kind of coin, especially for drum stuff. MPDxx or padKontrol or LPD8 would (and do) suit my needs. I do tend to work on the DAW/Laptop more than tapping in progressions lolz, guess I should use the gear more! But I digress, that's a lot of coin/scratch to drop on hardware and I'd have to be having income to support a purchase like that from gigging (which I don't do) or have a dad with credit card which he lets me blow the coinage on (not this kid, got my own CC cards ;-) ) or a sugar mama who takes REAL GOOD care of me....have gf, she ain't got the coin to let me blow on gear but that's ok, she's not into this stuff anyways.

what a pointless post...
you want gear you got to work fool..
Hey now, no need for hostility here 3dot... I do work for a living, been doing it for quite some time, and I do put aside funds as I can but new car, mortgage, etc...doesn't leave a ton of room to play other than wait till I got enough coin for something I would like. But by then could be something newer and more expensive! I'm not a huge gearhead as some either.
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm

sorry if it seemed harsh...
I can't currently afford shit either...
but I have lots of gear.. to buy/sell....I'm invested...
whining and comparing isn't going to get me any further to my goals
so it was like an instinct response.. so sorry

I think you need some proportions.. a well built...well designed physical musical instrument is usually above 1k$ mark

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:15 pm

No offense taken (now haha). I have limited gear (Korg M50, MS-20 when I bought the Extreme, the mini USB version of MS-20), LPD8 and padKontrol and a few guitars that don't get played (not that I am above a neophyte on getting around on em). Would like to have an M3 but too costly (I look at it from a ROIC standpoint (return on investment capital for anyone not in the know), so if I ain't making coin and it's more a hobby than anything serious with cash influx it won't be purchased unless I hit the lottery, then I'd get a Kronos ;-) but I have had Roland V-Synth (old model), Triton Extreme (latter 2 at girlfriends so can *borrow* em back as she bought from me then I got the M50), Triton LE, Yamaha S03 back in the day of first playing with Shroud of Bereavement (then I got the LE for live stuff). Wish I had more to spread around for the economy but not yet.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 pm

yep times is tough all around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3qdOKaI3I

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

dunno what you guys are on about getting gear is easy, every weekend when you make your trip to the grocery store you just hang a left on starving street and head straight to the music store, or even what I'm more likely to do which is gather up my food money for the month and spend it on craigslist, not only do you get the gear but you save money on the gym and get a diet thrown in for free…..it doesn't get any better than that… well it might but you'd have to have eaten food to know that.

@op I'd go with the tempest, it looks more fun, they are slow on updating but in the longrun imho it's worth the wait. also it's more well rounded, it's not just a drummachine

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I like your style man... 8)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 pm

I know what these pieces of gear 'do' from reading etc.
Never played any of them.

I'd like to know more of why, OR which one does what better.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

I think 'hoffman2k' has one... he'd probably chime in pretty soon...
I only want one.. and it's a big big difference..
I like the DSI roughness...
tempest is analog osc goodness.. 6 voice multitimbral synth+fx...just saying...

MachineDrum is on the want list as well.. but further down..