make that money, make make that money baby!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lethal_pizzle

Re: make that money, make make that money baby!

Post by lethal_pizzle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:48 am

other than the fact that you gain exposure obviously...
This is a pretty massive fact, sorry if this makes me an a-hole :D

lasersounds

Post by lasersounds » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:00 am

QUANCE wrote:hmm, well this post was more about getting an idea of what different levels of DJs make (not the huge ones everyone knows those are ridiculous amounts) and how big you really have to be to live decently while making music full time -- not a misery rant on a day job or a cry for sympathy and sarcasm.

but thank you for all the responses, from the a-holes and the genuine people.

however one legitimate point did arise through all this, and that is... why is everyone so adamant about having a label represent you right off the bat?

can someone explain the finanaical purpose of that move rather than self marketing and branding? i feel like a label would actually just cut into your profits no? other than the fact that you gain exposure obviously...

First and foremost, I can tell by how astonishingly stupid your question is, that will you will, with out a doubt, fail horribly.

Ok, so lets break this down. You have made zero dollars playing music. You have never played a real show before. You havnt even released any music, ever. You think your friend will somehow hype you up on facebook. You are posting on a internet forum asking how much money you could make.

Lets think about this. Do you honestly think you will make it anywhere having NEVER EVEN MADE A SINGLE FUCKING DOLLAR IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY?

Ive been a professional DJ for around 4 years, its my only job(except side jobs i choose to have) and i make a decent living. You have never heard of me, i dont have any internet presence, so its VERY VERY possible to do alright DJing.

But heres the problem, it took me 2 years to get my hustle down. I also am known in my city as a very competent sound engineer. I also can repair anything sound related. I also know or can get in touch with every bar/club owner within 30 minutes of me. I also fill in for bands occasionally. I also book bands. I also do design/marketing.

The point is this, you have no experience doing any of that. It takes years to become good at your craft. Playing a show isnt just "ok i made some shitty beats i can barely give away let me on stage" . NONONONONO!!!!!!

You have to sell drinks, you have to sell tickets, you have to make people come back time and again. You have to make everyone think theyre your friend.

Its so so SO much more than just releasing a half assed album and letting your friend hype you on facebook.

What exactly are you trying to even accomplish with your little plan? Seriously, what is your goal using the plan you laid out for us?

Ive seen thousands of people exactly like you. Ive run sound for you, ive booked you for your first show, ive helped you plug in your laptop and explain how stage monitors were useful, ive told you sorry we wont book another show, because yes, i know you had 500 people saying they would come on facebook, but only 25 showed up.

Seriously, what the fuck? I take pride in what I do and its hard work. You cant just pirate being a performance artist because you pirated ableton and made some beats. It doesnt work like that.

If you have any real questions that might actually help to propel your music career, id love to answer them. Ive played 200 shows a year for 4 years, and it was only through shitloads of hardwork, genuine REAL hardwork just like a real job, that got me where i am.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:28 am

seriously lmfao. my hat's off to you.

reminded me of 'The Roadie'
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e4e18f ... ny-mcbride
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:11 am

Doing music for a living is orders of magnitude harder than any other job I've had, and often for much less pay. By all means I want EVERYONE to follow their dream, just make sure you know the reality of the situation before you burn your bridges. I'm extremely fortunate and lucky to have the job I do and be successful at it, but there's still been MANY times I've looked back fondly at having a well-paying corporate desk job with cash for whatever music gear (not to mention vacations, bikes, you name it) I wanted too.

And I NEVER thought I would EVER say that.

Personally, I think if you have to ask on forum what you can expect to make doing this kind of thing for a living, then most likely you don't have the experience or contacts to make that jump yet. I don't want to come off as negative, but with so much of the industry in flux right now, you need to be ahead of the curve and have a really unique plan to achieve what you want. If you don't already have a concrete plan of attack for the next 5-7 years, combined with a decent bit of cash saved up, along with the support of a good group of friends and family, well....

I know, sounds pessimistic, but as much as I want to see people chase their dreams, too often I've seen people make that jump too soon. Take your time, have a solid plan with many back ups, and make sure you're really offering something unique what will make people want to book you over other DJs or musicians.

Maybe a costume with a giant cat head or something....

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:12 am

As said before, quitting the day job for music is a nice dream which most of us share. I tend to think though that most of the dream is based on utopian ideas. I mean, currently I can work with my music whenever I have time and I feel like it. There is no real pressure for finishing anything or making certain kind of music. I can experiment and do as I will.

I've seen a friend of mine work in the music business for quite some time now. He is constantly doing remixes (with tight deadlines), his own tracks and also DJing in different countries. So he has quite a lot going on (not that it's easy to get to that point) but still he struggles financially. And he doesn't really have the option to turn down gigs or remixes. It's hard work and not at all like the utopian dream.

Just my 2 cents.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

QUANCE

Post by QUANCE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:28 pm

lasersounds wrote:
QUANCE wrote:hmm, well this post was more about getting an idea of what different levels of DJs make (not the huge ones everyone knows those are ridiculous amounts) and how big you really have to be to live decently while making music full time -- not a misery rant on a day job or a cry for sympathy and sarcasm.

but thank you for all the responses, from the a-holes and the genuine people.

however one legitimate point did arise through all this, and that is... why is everyone so adamant about having a label represent you right off the bat?

can someone explain the finanaical purpose of that move rather than self marketing and branding? i feel like a label would actually just cut into your profits no? other than the fact that you gain exposure obviously...

First and foremost, I can tell by how astonishingly stupid your question is, that will you will, with out a doubt, fail horribly.

Ok, so lets break this down. You have made zero dollars playing music. You have never played a real show before. You havnt even released any music, ever. You think your friend will somehow hype you up on facebook. You are posting on a internet forum asking how much money you could make.

Lets think about this. Do you honestly think you will make it anywhere having NEVER EVEN MADE A SINGLE FUCKING DOLLAR IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY?

Ive been a professional DJ for around 4 years, its my only job(except side jobs i choose to have) and i make a decent living. You have never heard of me, i dont have any internet presence, so its VERY VERY possible to do alright DJing.

But heres the problem, it took me 2 years to get my hustle down. I also am known in my city as a very competent sound engineer. I also can repair anything sound related. I also know or can get in touch with every bar/club owner within 30 minutes of me. I also fill in for bands occasionally. I also book bands. I also do design/marketing.

The point is this, you have no experience doing any of that. It takes years to become good at your craft. Playing a show isnt just "ok i made some shitty beats i can barely give away let me on stage" . NONONONONO!!!!!!

You have to sell drinks, you have to sell tickets, you have to make people come back time and again. You have to make everyone think theyre your friend.

Its so so SO much more than just releasing a half assed album and letting your friend hype you on facebook.

What exactly are you trying to even accomplish with your little plan? Seriously, what is your goal using the plan you laid out for us?

Ive seen thousands of people exactly like you. Ive run sound for you, ive booked you for your first show, ive helped you plug in your laptop and explain how stage monitors were useful, ive told you sorry we wont book another show, because yes, i know you had 500 people saying they would come on facebook, but only 25 showed up.

Seriously, what the fuck? I take pride in what I do and its hard work. You cant just pirate being a performance artist because you pirated ableton and made some beats. It doesnt work like that.

If you have any real questions that might actually help to propel your music career, id love to answer them. Ive played 200 shows a year for 4 years, and it was only through shitloads of hardwork, genuine REAL hardwork just like a real job, that got me where i am.
I'm sorry you're so mediocre at what you do that you can't figure it out after 4 years. Maybe you should stop ranting on forums at strangers and start practicing

QUANCE

Post by QUANCE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 pm

So once again thank you for all the replys. I am
Simply gathering information about how this industry works. I'll release some
Music online and play a few shows. If it takes off (which most of you seem to think there is no chance of that without ever hearing a sample) then I'll continue in this direction of weighing the options to do it full time.

If it doesn't I'll keep the job and continue to get better.
This is a forum - its meant for people who dont know a lot to come find out info.

Do you think madeon knew a lot of shit about the industry as a 16 year old or just made awesome music?

Cheers

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:08 pm

I see what's going on here.

Come across super naive, pick a few arguments, post music. Guaranteed soundcloud hits.

And you guys don't think he has what it takes?

QUANCE

Post by QUANCE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:25 pm

almost postable ready. but im definitely not going to post it under this name... way too much bias now. i want a genuine response.

see you all out there.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

QUANCE wrote:Do you think madeon knew a lot of shit about the industry as a 16 year old or just made awesome music?
who?

i think it's rare that a 16 year old would want to make music. there's probably only like 3 or 4 of 'em. so 1 in 4, really good odds there.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I believe in you QUANCE-poo!!

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 pm

lasersounds wrote:
QUANCE wrote: If you have any real questions that might actually help to propel your music career, id love to answer them. Ive played 200 shows a year for 4 years, and it was only through shitloads of hardwork, genuine REAL hardwork just like a real job, that got me where i am.
ok i have a real question, so you can only pull in 25 people to the club? what now? where do you go from there (assuming the music is not the reason for a lack of audience).
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 pm

H20nly wrote:
QUANCE wrote:Do you think madeon knew a lot of shit about the industry as a 16 year old or just made awesome music?
who?

i think it's rare that a 16 year old would want to make music. there's probably only like 3 or 4 of 'em. so 1 in 4, really good odds there.
you have a point about madeon. i feel it is possible to do this but you need to spam the shit out of youtube and facebook.
i really cant give advise because i have never done it. i have quit many jobs but the jobs were always an intolerable piece of shit that would take all my energy away from finding a better job or going to school . its never been to do music.
Last edited by nathannn on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Fellas!! FELLAS!! Madeon is setting the standard here. He’s released like 2 original songs and 5 remixes in the past 2 years and through just that has been invited to play at festivals. That type thing happens so frequently in the industry that you’d be an idiot to not believe you’re on the cusp of doing the same.