sampler versus simpler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

sampler versus simpler

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Sorry to drone on about this but what are the main differences between these? Is it worth 100 EUR?

Given that I already own Kontakt 3.

Cheers

oddstep

Re: sampler versus simpler

Post by oddstep » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 pm

stereo. more filters. multiple samples. better control over everything. reverse playback button. ability to modulate loop parameters with an lfo. 3 lfos. built in ring modulator and distortion.

if I had kontakt three, the only reason i would get sampler would be if I did a lot of slicing to midi and wished simpler was better.

invol

Post by invol » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 am

There are other threads about Sampler Vs Kontakt, but in short, they are different. Sampler is heavily integrated into Live, so for sound design and such it is awesome. Kontakt is better for working with large multi-sample libraries. Simpler can only load one sample... : )

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 am

100 EUR seems a lot for lfos and reversing!

does Sampler really not do that much more than Simpler?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am

ian_halsall wrote:100 EUR seems a lot for lfos and reversing!

does Sampler really not do that much more than Simpler?
100EUR is just a bait to lead people to buy suite. It could be 500EURO.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am

I already got operator - not buying anything else - ever.

Just makes you more unhappy when it doesn't lead to creative genius - just frustration and pain

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 am

Fair enough. The lfo routing is pretty good though. I don't get what you're saying about operator though. Its an incredible synth... Really simple interface but capable of really complex sounds.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am

I wasn't moaning about operator - I like it a lot.

But I think the urge to get more gear can get in the way of creativity and becomes an end in itself.

Especially whenever you get your new it you spend a few weeks learning how to use it rather than creating music.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

ian_halsall wrote:But I think the urge to get more gear can get in the way of creativity and becomes an end in itself.

Especially whenever you get your new it you spend a few weeks learning how to use it rather than creating music.
Yep. It's a lot wiser to just discuss about them in great detail and not create music ;)
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:06 pm

touche

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:06 pm

but btw I usually only discuss when I am at work instead of doing my real job - like now

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:25 pm

One thing that would probably get me to part with my hard earned (ha) cash is the ability to edit groups of keygroups or slices together.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Not sure how much this matters to other people, but one thing I use in Sampler a lot is envelope Slope. For drum samples especially, but it's just always nice to control the slope or shape of each stage in the amplitude envelope (ADSR). Now, if only it had polyphonic time stretching so each note was the same length.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Sampler offers way more than simpler.

I would say my favorite part is scrolling through sounds using the chain selector, or the zl shift, or the key using a midi pitch effect.
This allows me to build complex sampler racks, mainly for drum hits.
Also editing a multisampled tracks, like 1 audio file with lots of snare hits, reducing CPU etc.
Being able to edit velocity zones is great.
You can modulate a sound to oblivion, it's pretty amazing.

I always found Kontact to be a little klunky on the user interface side, vs the simplicity of Sampler.

I cant say weather or not it's worth a 100 bucks to you, but for me buying Sampler and Operator were great additions to Live, I have no regrets and feel like it's been worth it.
Yet buying these instruments like that, plus Analog (which I dont use) has kept me from getting Suite.
If I upgrade to Suite for 140something bucks, I get Corpus, Tension, and Amp, thats it. More things I know I wont use. I will probably wait to upgrade when Live 9 is released.
However, when Ableton releases new things Suite owners sometimes get way better benefits.
I ask myself if it's worth 140something dollars to maybe get something from Ableton I will like at a discount or free.
So if I have any regrets on purchases it was that I bought Operator, Sampler and Analog and didnt just upgrade to suite and get the Session Drums.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 am

if you have kontakt ...imo save your money..
kontakt is a pretty robust sampler
just an opinion...
Operator is worth a buy... in fact the whole suite instruments are great...(sampler included)