Recording the cue out in stereo ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Peterpepper93

Recording the cue out in stereo ?

Post by Peterpepper93 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello guys

I have been trying for a while now to record the cue out in live.
The thing is, I didnt manage to do it.

Not that I really want to record the metronome, I'd rather be able to record sounds that are coming out of the sound-previewing in the browser.

The reason I wanna do this is simply because I realized that I love the different combination of sounds that happens when you're browing with up and down throughout your drums samples (works really well on the snares) with the arrows, having global quantization turned to None and have another layer of the beat playing. By previewing snares, claps, hats, I get a much more interactive, fun and efficient time.

I tried to send the master out on the channel 1 and the cue out on the channel 2, the thing is, I cannot record what's coming out of channel 2.

And I do want to record that.

If anybody is up to give me hand with this, thanks already !!!

Peter

Peterpepper93

Re: Recording the cue out in stereo ?

Post by Peterpepper93 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 pm

up !!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Don’t have Live in front of me but you should be able to create a new audio track and either select your MIDI track as the input for that channel or send the audio from your MIDI channel to that audio channel. Don’t remember which way Live works with that. Record arm the audio track, hit play, and start farting around.

I might be missing something there but I can’t believe nobody else on here has answered this for you yet. They’ll go 5 pages rambling on about frequencies not picked up by the human ear, but your question they won’t touch. :x

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:10 pm

If I understand, you want to record what you hear.

the simple way: plug a stereo audio cable to your headphones output and record it to an external recorder device. [MD player/recorder for ex]

the other way: recording the audio signal to another program [wavosaur, wavelab, ...ableton live]

the annoying part is to succeed finding the setting to let ableton live sharing the audio in a way.
many soundcards can let you do that simply, it's a loopback function,
if you got that you can record "what you hear" and not only "what live is playing...when the play button is running"

Sorry I cant tell you much

what computer? soundcard?
it could help us in helping you :wink:

Peterpepper93

Post by Peterpepper93 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Hey guys, thanks for answering

The stuff you're all saying is interesting, but I already thought about it and it's working because it is simply not compatible with the process, which is basically :
1 - Having a beat (let's say just a kick and hi hat).
2 - Browsing through snares, having pre-listen activated.
3 - Listening to the different combination of snares throughout browsing.
4 - Spot a 4 snares sample-combination that fits well the beat.
5 - Mess around with it until you get the swing that you want. You can alter global quantization to triplets, keep it to none, whatever that works for you.
6 - Play the sequence, record it onto a separate tracks just so i have the snares from the browser.

My soundcard is a UAX-25, I have a MacBook Pro and the only reason why I'm not already doing this through soundflower is just because it means recording it all at the same time, when I want the snares-browser-sequence separated from the Kick+hiHat Beat.

Yhanks !

Peterpepper93

Post by Peterpepper93 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

Come on guy shelp me out !!!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 am

take a cable, plug your cue-out into your soundcard's inputs, record your cue-signal onto a channel in live. you might have to a bit latency, due to the out-in-business, but nothing that you wouldn't be able to fix.

xenomachino1

Post by xenomachino1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

This should help, taken from an old ableton post

If you are on a mac, you can use soundflower http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/ and create an aggregated audio device, containing both your current interface and soundflower.

1 - send your cue to soundflower 1/2
2 - create an audio track with input from soundflower 1/2 (monitor IN)
3 - send the audio from that track to your preferred outputs on your interface
4 - make a pie http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Making-a-Pi ... etail.aspx

Rock on!

edit: the soundflower equivalent for PC would be JackAudio http://jackaudio.org/ but I don´t think you can make aggregated devices in Windows. Some interfaces have software which supports internal re-routing/loop-back.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 pm

If you are going to make this much effort to try and figure out routing to be able to record what you are essentially saying is a simple drum pattern that you are playing by clicking on the samples in the browser, why not just drag the samples you like into a drum rack and just play it, or draw the MIDI notes into a clip. That makes infinite more sense to me.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams