hooking up mophos ;-)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grunzlaut

hooking up mophos ;-)

Post by grunzlaut » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi, I´m interested in buying my first hardware synth: A DSI Mopho Keyboard. Since I´m new to the whole hardware thing I´ve got a question:

I already found out, that it´s possible to send midi messages out of the mopho´s keyboard. So is it possible to detach the keyboard from the actual sound module of the mopho, route the midi of the keyboard into live and from there send it back to the mopho synth (via the external instrument plug, for example)?

this would enable me to: 1. play VSTi´s via the Mopho Keyboard and 2. put live´s arpeggiator into the midi-signalpath to trigger the mopho, since I think live´s arp has more advanced features and is more "hands on" given you have an APC40 to control it.

Ah, and no: The Mopho desktop module is not an option for me, I basically want a hardware synth because I want to fiddle with potis 8)

Warrior Bob

Re: hooking up mophos ;-)

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 pm

I just bought one of these recently. It rules. I can't remember if you can disable the internal keyboard messages, but I think you can. I'll check when I get home from work.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I checked the manual (which turned out to be available online) and yes, there's the ability to turn off "Local Control" so that the keyboard only sends MIDI and doesn't play notes on the synth itself. It's one of the global options.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am

Warrior Bob wrote:I checked the manual (which turned out to be available online) and yes, there's the ability to turn off "Local Control" so that the keyboard only sends MIDI and doesn't play notes on the synth itself. It's one of the global options.
First off, thanks for your reply,

nice, but meanwhile i read the manual myself and now I`ve got more questions :? : As far as I understood, once the mopho is set up to send midi, the pots will send midi , too. so, if the "Local Control" is disabled, are the pots disabled and send only midi, too? If that´s the case that option would be useless for me because my idea is to use the Mopo´s keyboard like a generic USB controller keyboard seperate from the sound module and still be able to control the module via it´s pots.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 am

Ok, I found this in the manual:
Local Control: Off, On—When on (the default), the keyboard and front panel controls directly affect Mopho. When off, the controls are transmitted via MIDI but do not directly affect the “local” synth (that is, Mopho). This is primarily useful for avoiding MIDI data loops that can occur with some external sequencers.

So it seems like there´s no option to only detatch the keys and not also the pots, right?

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

grunzlaut wrote:So it seems like there´s no option to only detatch the keys and not also the pots, right?
I believe this is correct. The manual appears to say that the pots and keys are a package deal - Local Control affects both of them at once.

You can manage the workflow that you're looking for, although I admit it'd be a bit awkward. You'd have to filter out CC messages from the Mopho and echo them back out the sequencer's MIDI outs.

Personally I get around this just by using a separate MIDI controller, although I can see why you'd want to avoid that.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Warrior Bob wrote: You can manage the workflow that you're looking for, although I admit it'd be a bit awkward. You'd have to filter out CC messages from the Mopho and echo them back out the sequencer's MIDI outs.
Thaught about that, too but...meeeh :roll:
Warrior Bob wrote:
Personally I get around this just by using a separate MIDI controller, although I can see why you'd want to avoid that.
Yes, I already have a big keyboard. but I hoped I could use the mopho as an all-in one portable set-up without the big keyboard. and the possibility to route Lives arpeggiator into the midi signalpath of the mopho...

Maybe I´d save up a little more, improve my keyboard playing, get me a nice feature packed polysynth (mopho x4 8) ? ) and use this without a computer as a mobile solution.

Anyway, thanks for your help Warrior Bob

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Sure thing! Sorry it didn't work out better for you.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Made up my mind:

I got tired of always having to sit in front of a screen, when I want to make music. Needed a real instrument again, had some money left, ordered a Mopho yesterday 8)

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Haha, yay! If you have half as much fun with it as I've had with mine, you're going to have a blast.