quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: quneo, quneo, wherefor art thou quneo?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm

That seems very strange.

I do know that you can use scripting to auto-assign pads to, for instance, "the 16 pads showing in Drum Rack", AND, if you would happen to use Impulse, "first 8 pads default to 8 from Impulse". It is a unique feature to access, and completely does not care what notes you have on the pads, as long as the appropriate ones are used in the actual script.

I would Assume that they used that method. Who knows. But the best things, QuNeo is MEANT to be open source and programmable. I'm sure the perfect layout for you will be available within a few weeks.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Reply from KMI - and I will say they've answered EVERY email I've sent on in 24 hours or less, so credit where credit is due - they are responsive. That said, not sure how much sense this explanation makes to me:

This is Carson, tech support at KMI.

The reason we set it up this way is so we can honor all Ableton Live users, including Ableton Live Intro, Ableton Live, and Ableton Live Suite. Drum Racks is not included with Ableton Live Intro. We do know users who use Impulse. Impulse is not chromatic like Drum Racks so we assigned the 8 pads in Preset 9 to work with Impulse. As an Ableton user I understand your concerns about Drum Racks — QuNeo Presets 1-4 work great for triggering notes C1-D#6 with Drum Racks. However Presets 1-4 do not have individual and group (redbox) controls like Presets 9 & 10 do. So remember to use Preset 9-10 for Ableton Live Remote Control functionality and using Presets 1-4 for Drums Racks. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help.

-Carson
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 pm

brain fart, I didn't mean Impulse was chromatic, derp.

Anyway, there's the reason, the way I see it, shouldn't be a pita to change it.
ImageImage

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:I just don't get why it would ever be set up that way. I can't imagine a set of circumstances where I'd want to be playing Impulse AND a drum rack at the same time. Why would controls for *both* need to be on the same QuNeo preset page? I'm sure you can remap everything manually, but jesus, I just don't get the thought process here. I've sent an email to tech support for further clarification, but to me, it would make more sense to have 2 presets, 1 that controls Drum racks & one that controls Impulse.

For reference, here's the grid layout from the manual:

http://i.imgur.com/Wwm8G.jpg
it's a total non-issue. there are 16 presets, and they are dead easy to edit in with the QuNeo Editor.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 am

I get that. I'm really not worried about it, just curious at this point. I literally can not think of a situation where I'd want to control both Impulse and a drum rack at once.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

May not be your or my typical workflow, but it doesn't mean it's useless.
You think you couldn't do any kind of performance with that preset?
Might just do something with it out of spite :lol:
ImageImage

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:10 pm

when you install the QuNeo software, you have a choice of up to 8 different music apps to install templates for. so with only 16 presets, KMI have compromised on the templates that are available out of the box, to try and give everyone something usable out of the box.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:16 pm

shadx312 wrote:May not be your or my typical workflow, but it doesn't mean it's useless.
You think you couldn't do any kind of performance with that preset?
Might just do something with it out of spite :lol:

Could I? Yes. Could I just as easily run the same performance with just a drum rack? Yes. I'd love to see a situation that could not be handled by a drum rack alone & required the addition of Impulse.

fishmonkey wrote:when you install the QuNeo software, you have a choice of up to 8 different music apps to install templates for. so with only 16 presets, KMI have compromised on the templates that are available out of the box, to try and give everyone something usable out of the box.

I understand that. The email KMI sent me seemed to indicate they added Impulse support because drum racks aren't available in the lower versions of Live. So in that case - what sense does it make for the people who DON'T have drum racks to have the top half of the pad mapped to drum racks? And for people who DO have drum racks, what sense does it make to map half the pads to an (IMO, obvs) inferior device? I dunno, for me, I would've set up one template that had 16 pads devoted to the drum rack, and a 2nd preset that had the bottom 8 devoted to Impulse, and the top 8 repurposed for somethig useful, maybe selected device macro control or something. If they only have 16 presets available, seems kind of odd to spend a couple on things like an iPad synth. Oh well, I'm quite sure I'l be able to get it to do whatever I want it to.....whenever it arrives.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:I'm really not worried about it

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:10 pm

In fairness, companies are between a rock and a hard place. There are 16 presets and I believe somewhere in the region of 600-700 Quneo's have been sold already via kickstarter, not to mention pre-orders on the site. I am sure they will develop further presets in future, but in giving 16 initial presets, they cannot possibly make everyone happy. Me personally, I am going to create my own presets and use Max as an interface as I want it to do exactly what I want it to do (already have a nice patch I think will work great). And I am happy doing this as one of the biggest selling points to me was customization....

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Another question: So the first 4 presets are the same, except for the notes sent from the pads, which increase as you move up the banks. Sounds like that means if you have a big drum rack with 64+ samples you'd have to switch back & forth between presets to play those notes? I currently use an MPD18, and if I scroll up in the drum rack, the pads on the MPD automatically map to the visible pads in the drum rack. If the QuNeo doesn't work like the MPD out of the box, is there a way to map it so that it follows the pads displayed on screen?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Given the myriad of softwares quneo can be used for, I think the bigger issue should be having a lot more presets available for download, they've had extra time to work on stuff, have they not? For me, not too much of an issue since I planned on making my own anyway, but there does seem to be some strange logic going into some of these presets, like Traktor; Deck B is above Deck A? as in order from bottom to top? The only order from bottom to top that makes sense to me is chromatic notes, otherwise it seems more intuitive to use pads from the top down. And yet, that's what they do for the Mixxx version...
You're argument makes sense to me Matt, I mean, why cater to Lite and demo users anyway? Wouldn't you want to get them to upgrade just as a friendly business boost? The thing is, other than it not being a big deal, is that it could be inspiring to do something different and use it to see what you could come up with, just a little out-the-box kind of trial....but overall, meh.

I look forward to seeing what other users come up with for presets though, hopefully there'l be a nice repository and lots of sharing goins on.
ImageImage

jkmaxwell

Post by jkmaxwell » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:15 am

shadx312 wrote:I look forward to seeing what other users come up with for presets though, hopefully there'l be a nice repository and lots of sharing goins on.
me too.

one thing. if you haven't ordered yours yet, and are on the fence, i would wait.

i am not 100% thrilled with the quality control. for a kickstarter project, it's amazing. for a controller you'd rely on professionally, the irregularity of the slider pad depth* and the jittery slider tracking could be better. i've emailed them about this and am waiting for a response.

*owners: run your fingers up vertical sliders 1-4 and tell me if 1 is different than 2,3,4, and if 2,3,4 feel like they vary in height as you move along the channel. also, please see if this is the same for the horizontals, and on top of that, if you have a hard time reaching 100% value on sliders 2,3,4 without jamming your finger in there.
Last edited by jkmaxwell on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkmaxwell

Post by jkmaxwell » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 am

[edit: duplicated post by accident]
Last edited by jkmaxwell on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:36 am

Well that is disconcerting, especially after the last delay.
ImageImage