Am I misinterpreting the meaning of auto-update?

Kilroy

Am I misinterpreting the meaning of auto-update?

Post by Kilroy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Does it not download and update the later version automatically? I am still showing b3 in the Live About dialog.

sporkles

Re: Am I misinterpreting the meaning of auto-update?

Post by sporkles » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I don't think Live will auto update if you're on a beta. Install the latest released version, and it should work from there.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm

I am referring to this:

"* Please note that automatic updates and the collection of usage data are always enabled in beta versions."

Mine is not updating. I am still on b3. As I said, perhaps I am misinterpreting.

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Mine is updating automatically (OSX)... I'm just loading Live and letting it do it's download thang. Once it's finished, just quit and relaunch and it's now at the new Beta (you have to do this for 32 and 64bit versions separately, or at least on Mac).
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:27 am

I think this could be improved a lot if I would be able to see somewhere the progress of the download and if there were an in-between option between Auto Update and No Auto Update, like most other software offers -> Be notified when an update is available and asked if you want to update.
Should be actually the norm for Audio Software IMO.

This would also allow to once again install in the standard folder by default since the user could just allow to elevate the UAC Permission - many other apps do it that way and it works very well.
The current "Workaround" is just bad manners in my book.
As quirky as Windows "Security" is, it isn't helped if every software company goes exploring their own hacks and installs stuff all over the place.

Ableton, don't go all Google on us ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 am

mine won't auto-update either. it updated by itself quite happily until b4, but now when i launch b4 and leave it idle for 20 mins then relaunch it, its still on b4. watching network activity and i don't see anything downloading..

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have noted your account names and will have a look. The public beta has automatic updates enabled by default and it cant be disabled - this is to ensure that all testers always have the most recent build.

For now, please send in a status report (help -> get support) to support@ableton.com

[edit additional info needed] : And also please zip the folder containing the preferences files. (C:\Users\mal\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4b6)

Best,
Mads

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm

I am also not auto-updating from b3.

i7 Win 7 64bit
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am

Just a thought, on my laptop the 64 bit beta works fine and has updated, I notice periodically windows account manager asks for permission for live to make changes (the update I assume), I have not had this on my main DAW- I am wondering if when I first installed it I did t give live permission to make changes or if my security is just set higher?
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Sean,

You will see a dialogue when you switch from Live 8 release to 8.4 beta. We have made changes to the rewire initialization which prompts you for changes to your registry.

Once the 8.4 is released you should not see the error switching from 8.4 / 32 bit to 8.4 / 64 bit, but you will see it when switching from any 8.4 beta build to an earlier version.

best,
Mads

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm

status report sent

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Auto update not working here either. Get updates is enabled in prefs, OS X & Live 8.3.3 :?

*EDIT* Oops, just realised this is the beta forum...still, it doesn't work for me in the current release version, nor did it work for me in the previous version.