waves, mastering eq and compression

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
H20nly

Re: waves, mastering eq and compression

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Ozone was proposed as a new substance in air in 1840, and named, even before its chemical nature was known, after the Greek verb ozein (?????, "to smell"), from the peculiar odor after lightning storms. Ozone's odor is sharp, reminiscent of chlorine, and detectable by many people at concentrations of as little as 10 parts per billion in air. Ozone's O3 formula was determined in 1865. The molecule was later proven to have a bent structure and to be diamagnetic. In standard conditions, ozone is a pale blue gas that condenses at progressively cryogenic temperatures to a dark blue liquid and finally a violet-black solid. Ozone's instability with regard to more common dioxygen is such that both concentrated gas and liquid ozone may decompose explosively. It is therefore used commercially only in low concentrations

juniorsfave

Post by juniorsfave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I think the Ozone being referred to here is the Ozone5 Mastering System that offers a musician one of the best tools to master personalizing "your" sounds. There is even a PDF guide that you can download from their NextPay website that would teach you how to properly use its tools for your convenience.
Last edited by juniorsfave on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lasersounds

Post by lasersounds » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:29 am

Ok, everyone tries to complicate this as much as possible.

The concept is VERY easy, execution, obviously less so, but at least it puts you on the right track.

I always read EQ, CLIP, COMP, LIMIT.

But, i think with the cleanness of modern VSTs you can mix and match a little bit, but the idea is the same.

You want to use a good comp, i use a waves la3a to raise the level and compress the signal some. Now that that signal is compressed, you need to push it a LITTLE red, then put a master limiter(i use a waves limiter, i really think they sound significantly better than abletons stuff)

Now, youve raised your somewhat weak signal up to right around -3-0 average and maybe some reds here and there. Now put a limiter on it. Raise the gain a little. Limit at -.1.

The key to loudness is the gradual widening of the transients. When your kicks are good and square and last for more than 20ms thats when your song will really hit. The comping is how major EDM artists get their songs to be so loud, and then the limiting keeps them from ever peaking over 0(and thus giving EDM tracks their very square appearance)

This only applies to loud EDM expected to be played by a DJ. Im a DJ and hate it when i get soft sounding songs, they DO NOT sound as good as more compressed songs in a club.

And i know some people will disagree with me, but i play out a lot(its my job infact) and to get songs to really sound good on a PA they need to be brickwalled.

YMMV.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 am

It's my job to make things loud for other people, and I couldn't disagree more.

A proper arrangement, a decent mix, and you'd be surprised what some very minor eq and limiting can do. No need for all these forms of dynamic reduction when you're self mastering just to make things "loud".

Of course, horses for courses I guess.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

DM1000

Post by DM1000 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 am

Heyoo guys, saw this chat about mastering eq and thought I'd ask if any of you on here want a keyboardist to help properly play out your melodies ? I've been making music for years on Ableton and have always done this for my friends

Read my credentials below
---------

I'm a classically trained pianist

I play by ear and can replay almost ANYTHING you throw at me (provided its not Beethoven) So, IF you have melodies in your head that you want out, if you hum them to me I can usually figure out what u want and lay it down. Or mash it out on hand for me and I'll expand on it.

I travel with a midi keyboard and can hook up to your setup.

Also hip hop producers ! I can replay most parts in your sample so you can have the option of not even using it afterwards!

Even though I'm classically trained, the main music I listen to is electronic, rnb, hip hop and soul.

So if any of you have music in your head but can't play it by hand. I can do it for you.

email me @allmatisse@gmail.com

I charge by the hour and live downtown Toronto.

lasersounds

Post by lasersounds » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's my job to make things loud for other people, and I couldn't disagree more.

A proper arrangement, a decent mix, and you'd be surprised what some very minor eq and limiting can do. No need for all these forms of dynamic reduction when you're self mastering just to make things "loud".

Of course, horses for courses I guess.
I see what youre saying, but i WANT my songs to be as loud as possible.

I wouldnt want to sit and listen to them in my house, but when its coming out of a PA it sounds much better to be limited to hell.