Ableton Live Beta & Keith McMillen Softstep midi controller

psyndrome

Ableton Live Beta & Keith McMillen Softstep midi controller

Post by psyndrome » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Keith McMillen SoftStep for some weeks but I still couldn't get it working for my Ableton Live Loop-Setup. What are my faults? In past I used the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI-Footcontroller (it's good too, but too heavy for traveling with train). I tried with two different variants:

a) running in following order: Win7 x64 -> Midiyoke -> SoftStep Editor -> Ableton Live 8.3.3 (32-Bit) =
b) running in following order: WIn7 x64 -> LoopMidi -> SoftStep Editor -> Ableton Live 8.4b6 (64-Bit) =

Both variants doesn't work.

Btw: The latest firmware update is installed and the latest SoftStep editor is working.

So what is my problem? The problem is, that Ableton Live doesn't receive any MIDI signals. But I don't know where is the fault.

I have now (this is exactly what I want to run in Ableton Live with SoftStep) a setlist with following 2 scenes which I can switch - works fine:

1 - global [GLOB]
2 - looper 1 & looper 2 [L1X2]

> (all Screenshots in a collection)

---------

Could you please help me?

Big thanks in advance!

PS.: I really like the less weight of the SoftStep and won't use the Behringer FCB1010. But it looks like I couldn't move to use the SoftStep.

Sorry for my bad english!

wasoota

Re: Ableton Live Beta & Keith McMillen Softstep midi controller

Post by wasoota » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 am

Doesn't sound like a Live issue. Have you tried the pedal in standalone mode (without the software). Hosted mode with that max/msp monster is for masochists.

Remember you have to set Live's midi settings too. The appropriate SS midi has to be active (not the raw data channel.

The SoftStep is awesome, but the learning curve is not only steep, it's painful.

psyndrome

Post by psyndrome » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 am

Hi wasoota,

after days and hours with less sleep I already programmed the SoftStep MIDI values I want completely.^^

Tried under Windows 7 x64 / Ableton Live Beta x64 / LoopMidi many varianties, but it doesn't work.

Now on my new MacBook pro all works fine.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Psyndrome,

To me it sounds as if the driver for the device is not installed correctly or not working.
- Do you explicitly see the device in Midiyoke / Loopmidi?, or just the ports for the editor.
- If you disconnect the device do you still see it in the port listings in midiyok / loopmidi?.

Did you contact support of the pedal manufacturer to check if there are known windows issues?.

best,
Mads

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Or the SoftStep is not using the right internal port as a midi (out) port. You have to set your internal midi port manually in the editor for every scene and every button of the softstep.

On windows, by default the SoftStep-editor is set to "SoftStep Expander", which is non-existent (unless you have one). That's why I suggest trying standalone mode to get it to work, because in standalone there is no need for midi routing (SS->Editor->Live) and the SoftStep is plug and play as long as you activate the correct channel as a midi-in on your DAW (i.e. not the raw data channel).

Under OSX it works out of the box in hosted mode because OSX has its own native internal midi link and the SS editor can adress that by default.

murian

Post by murian » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi. I'm having the same problem. I'm on Windows 7, 64bit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The thing has it's own will.

Reinstalled Midi Yoke, made sure that in Ableton live I have midi in from Midi Yoke 1, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

cchasson

Post by cchasson » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:24 am

I had the same problem: I use it now in standalone mode. Programming the softStep first and used it in ableton in standalone mode. No modification of his configuration during Live Session. No midiYoke or other midi emulator.