BIG Clap/Snare Reverb...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theviewer1985

BIG Clap/Snare Reverb...

Post by theviewer1985 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 am

Hey Guys

Here is a sound i have always struggled with. Although i think i understand the technicalities of it, I just can't make it sound right.

im looking for something like at 1:20 of mansion
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6diqwbzjluQ

or at 2:28 at sinead
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDrZ3GGhNg

I am guessing that it takes a clap and/or snare with a TON or reverb on it, and then just record out the sound and cut the reverb just before the next beat?

But what kind of reverb should i start with? Is the initial clap/snare small or big? Does the reverb require heavy compressing.. if so, what kind of compressing?

They are just thinking out loud questions, but please.. any help would be appreciated :-)

re:dream

Re: BIG Clap/Snare Reverb...

Post by re:dream » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:01 pm

theviewer1985 wrote:
I am guessing that it takes a clap and/or snare with a TON or reverb on it, and then just record out the sound and cut the reverb just before the next beat?

)

that's what I would do

And I would just play around with the controls on the reverb till I got the sound I wanted.

but hey, I am a complete amateyr. Let's hear from the pros.

camoz

Post by camoz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:21 pm

hi,

i use a rack in the send section and map all i want to the 8 knobs. 100% wet and with the envelope draw and the send knob in the track section you can have your reverb with less cpu. try size and decay parameters.
hope this will help you...

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:00 am

gated reverb, just put a gate ater a huge reverb, and use sidechain to trigger it, adjust sidechain synth lenght to the lenght of reverb you need

bkwsk

Post by bkwsk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:gated reverb, just put a gate ater a huge reverb, and use sidechain to trigger it, adjust sidechain synth lenght to the lenght of reverb you need
My thoughts exactly, this is a really good technique.

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:gated reverb, just put a gate ater a huge reverb, and use sidechain to trigger it, adjust sidechain synth lenght to the lenght of reverb you need
Any chance for a slightly more detailed description? For some reason i can't follow these instructions

1. What kind of huge reverb? Something like a cathedral? Because no matter what reverb i choose, it never seems to be big and full like my examples

2. Use sidechain to trigger what... and how?

Don't worry, I'm not amateur by any means, so you don't need to do to in depth :-)

Thanks so much

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:30 am

One way to approach this method is to do as m4m described..I will give you more detail...

Have your Snare track with your send A 100%. On your A Return track place a reverb, say if you're using Live's reverb, use something like Large Hall with 100 % wet.
Increase the Decay time on the reverb to say, 6 sec or more ( something that gives it a long tail. Turn up the reflect to say around 4 ish db & turn down the pre delay.

Drag a Gate effect onto the Send A ( reverb ) track.

Create a midi track & drag an operator onto track. Any synth will do, but Operator is low on cpu. Init sound will be fine. Deactivate track.
Create midi clip on the Operator track and draw in a measure of how long you would like the reverb effect to last for.
This way, you can create different midi clips to vary the length of reverb effect.

Now on the Gate effect, sidechain the Gate to the Operator track.
Play around with the Attack ( you probably want a fast attack) Hold & Release to get your desired effect.

If you wish, you don't have to use the Operator at all, and just gate the reverb (with a very low threshold on the gate) and play around with your release time to get what you want, but the sidechained option gives you more control if you want to vary the gate amount with midi clips.

:)