Tablet / IOS devices.

[mal]

Tablet / IOS devices.

Post by [mal] » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 am

Hi,

Asking in general if people are experiencing problems using IOS or Andriod applications mapped to live?.
Either as full DAW controller or just home made scripts for effect controlling. There is quite a few out applications out there with such functionality, here are just a few:

IOS touchable
IOS touch OSC + Livecontrol template
IOS lemur
IOS AC-7
IOS V-control

Android touchdaw
Android control

I would be really interested if there is a difference between 8.3.3 and 8.4 (both 32 and 64 bit) and if the scripts for the respective apps works as expected?.

Best,
Mads

VoiceOfNature

Re: Tablet / IOS devices.

Post by VoiceOfNature » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm

will try with Android TouchDaw (time is the only problem).

Any further detail about Android Control, never heard about it, not finding in market.
Win 7 x64, CPU i7 1.73 GHz, SSD, RME Babyface / Fireface

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi Voices,

I was asking in general if you are experiencing problems using some of the listed daw controls / midi controllers. The list was just a quick browse of the App store and the android market of available applications.

Android control information can be found here;
http://charlie-roberts.com/Control/

Best,
mads

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

I am using TouchOSC with LiveControl template and occasionally the cell clip names don't update after changing them. Sometimes fader controls will respond to touch but not update on the IOS devices.

Can't determine a pattern or steps to reproduce. It's hit or miss.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Jbodango,

I have experienced similar issues using touch OSC and the livecontrol template.
- Did this work for you in 8.3.3 ?
- Are you on the PC or mac platform?

best,
Mads

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:57 am

i WOULD NOT say with 100% certainty that touchOSC screen updating errors less frequently in 8.3.3... on mac trying both os: 10.7.4 & 10.8.1

like i said, i can't really track down exact cause or pattern.

what i can tell you is i'm not using any 3rd party plugins and there are no other wifi signals for 1000's of feet.

works 100% 60% of the time. sorta like sex panther: 8)

MADs do you use LiveBridge, OSCulator, or IAC network connection?

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Jbodango,

I have been testing this on PC, where the 8.3.3 behaves well and began to see refresh problems on the Ipad display when checking against 8.4. So I am using the OSCbridge for touch OSC and the Livecontrol template.
It is however good, that the results are the same on both platforms so we can track when and where this functionality started to derail.

best,
mads

zebbo

Post by zebbo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi,
IOS V-Control and DAW Remote HD working fine on both 8.3.x and 8.4.x 64bit beta.
However Touchable not working since 8.2.8. Pity as this is the best remote control for Live imo.
This is on PC with Win7 64bit.

best,

zebbo

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

[mal] wrote:Hi Jbodango,

I have been testing this on PC, where the 8.3.3 behaves well and began to see refresh problems on the Ipad display when checking against 8.4. So I am using the OSCbridge for touch OSC and the Livecontrol template.
It is however good, that the results are the same on both platforms so we can track when and where this functionality started to derail.

best,
mads
There is also some inconsistencies between IOS 5.x and IOS 6b4. The IOS 6 platform seems to be 'smarter' about keeping the adhoc connection from dropping.

I'd really like to see this functionality become rock solid over the next few iterations. I've become very fond of being able to walk around the studio when tracking. And while nothing beats having tactile flying-faders during mixdown, having a few tablets with updating faders set up takes a close second. Physical knobs are fine and using 'take over' is fine but I've given up on trying to ride mixes with non-motorized faders.

The next project I do live tracking with multiple musicians I envision each of them being able to control their own headphone bus mix via a tablet/mobile device and headphone distro box.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

zebbo wrote: However Touchable not working since 8.2.8. Pity as this is the best remote control for Live imo.
The latest version (v1.3.2) of the Touchable Server should fix this problem. You can get it here:
http://www.touch-able.com/touchAble/Downloads.html

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team