U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by deva » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

tintala wrote:SO the consensus here is that Diva is preferable to Zebra? I need to decide soon!
They are very different and compliment each other well... No way I would give up either! Diva has higher technical sound quality which is evident in its filter FM, cross modulation, high resonance etc... Zebra is excellent sounding in its own way and is more sonically diverse.

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 pm

I Think i will try ZEBRA, I do have a powerful cpu, i5 core intel , 3.2 ghz , 8gb ram.. that should be enough for Diva , right?

Thin, light percussive sounds and digital plucks are right up my alley, so I guess you all are happy with the arp in Zebra?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

tintala wrote:I Think i will try ZEBRA, I do have a powerful cpu, i5 core intel , 3.2 ghz , 8gb ram.. that should be enough for Diva , right?

Thin, light percussive sounds and digital plucks are right up my alley, so I guess you all are happy with the arp in Zebra?
Your computer is powerful enough for Diva, yes. But try for yourself. There also quality settings. While the default is "Great", the one below that ("Fast"), is just fine for most purposes.

As far as Zebra's arp, yes it's great. It's main reason I still have it. Good filters too. I personally don't like the digital oscillators as much as many other digital synths like Massive or even absynth. I think Zebra has a hard time with "phat" and juicy. But that's ok, plenty of others excel at that.
Professional Shark Jumper.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 pm

As far as Zebra vs. Diva, why not download both demos and try them?

I love U-he's demo policy - 15 minutes of normal function and then it outputs randomness. Great way to get a feel for the device even if you can't use it the way you normally would.
As far as Zebra's arp, yes it's great. It's main reason I still have it. Good filters too. I personally don't like the digital oscillators as much as many other digital synths like Massive or even absynth. I think Zebra has a hard time with "phat" and juicy. But that's ok, plenty of others excel at that.
Interesting - the arp is the only thing about Zebra that I find lacking. I'm not sure what it is about the interface that puts me off it, but I find it too clicky and cumbersome to put together a decent line, esp. compared to something like Alchemy or Trilian, which are so stupidly easy.

Pretty much my only complaint about Zebra.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:58 pm

agent314 wrote:As far as Zebra vs. Diva, why not download both demos and try them?

I love U-he's demo policy - 15 minutes of normal function and then it outputs randomness. Great way to get a feel for the device even if you can't use it the way you normally would.
Interesting - the arp is the only thing about Zebra that I find lacking. I'm not sure what it is about the interface that puts me off it, but I find it too clicky and cumbersome to put together a decent line, esp. compared to something like Alchemy or Trilian, which are so stupidly easy.

Pretty much my only complaint about Zebra.
Weird. Alchemy and trilian have nice arps, but you can't even do glides from one note to the next. It is rare to be able to do glides. Zebra, FM8, sylenth1,albino, rob paper synths are a few that can, but sylenth1 has no swing.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:10 pm

The only lacking part of Zebra to me is the FX, and mainly the distortion.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:04 am

Machinesworking wrote:The only lacking part of Zebra to me is the FX, and mainly the distortion.
no worries, Sascha Eversmeier is on board now :)

Quote from Urs in KVR, Jun 10, 2012:
"We've added Sascha Eversmeier to the team. He's quite famous for developing the Digitalfishphones range of plugins, as well as a galore of high end algorithms used in Samplitude. Not to forget the excellent Vandal amp.

So, a big yes to anything dynamics (compressor, transient tool), colour (distortion, transformers, tubes, tape) and retro (bucket brigades, odd analogue stuff) in Uhbik and pretty much the whole product range of u-he.

So, hehe, while there's no concrete plugin to speak of just yet, rest assured that there will be quite a few things coming up"
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

deva

Post by deva » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:48 pm

tintala wrote:I Think i will try ZEBRA, I do have a powerful cpu, i5 core intel , 3.2 ghz , 8gb ram.. that should be enough for Diva , right?

Percussive sounds, bells and plucks are superb in Zebra... nothing better you can buy for that.

And the Zebra arp is one of the best you can find. You can do individual note glides on specific steps which you can hear in these examples

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Pluckde2.mp3
http://draigathar.org/sounds/detar.wav

The Zebra arp is also polyphonic so you can for example have a chord on a particular step. (most arps are not polyphonic)

Here is another Zebra arp example
http://draigathar.org/sounds/percola.wav

As you can hear from these examples, the Zebra arp can be very musical and not just sound like simple mechanical repetition. The Zebra arp is excellent!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:31 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Weird. Alchemy and trilian have nice arps, but you can't even do glides from one note to the next.
I saw from several of your posts that you are a fellow Spectrasonics user :) I'm a huge fan of Omnisphere and just added Stylus RMX Expanded to the line up. It's simply amazing what you can do with it. Trilian is on the list too, I view it as a superb expansion to the Omnisphere. How do you like Alchemy, I just got several soundpacks (Dream Voices, Planet Earth, Luftrum: Ambiance and Atmospheric), they all are amazing.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Weird. Alchemy and trilian have nice arps, but you can't even do glides from one note to the next.
I saw from several of your posts that you are a fellow Spectrasonics user :) I'm a huge fan of Omnisphere and just added Stylus RMX Expanded to the line up. It's simply amazing what you can do with it. Trilian is on the list too, I view it as a superb expansion to the Omnisphere. How do you like Alchemy, I just got several soundpacks (Dream Voices, Planet Earth, Luftrum: Ambiance and Atmospheric), they all are amazing.
Alchemy is cool. I prefer it for pads, soundscapes and things that make good use of the remix pads. It too is rather digital, in a different way. It can have a harsh rope end that sounds sort of cheap to me for lead sand such, but nothing beats it for ambient stuff. That's why it's a great compliment to omnisphere, which is great for all kinds of sound where alchemy isn't, like heavily filtered sounds. Omni, alchemy and zebra make quite a trio.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:33 am

deva wrote:As you can hear from these examples, the Zebra arp can be very musical and not just sound like simple mechanical repetition. The Zebra arp is excellent!
good examples of the features. Agree that Percussive sounds, bells and plucks along with some digital Pads and sfx are some of the Zebra greatest territory.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:34 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Alchemy is cool. I prefer it for pads, soundscapes and things that make good use of the remix pads. It too is rather digital, in a different way. It can have a harsh rope end that sounds sort of cheap to me for lead sand such, but nothing beats it for ambient stuff. That's why it's a great compliment to omnisphere, which is great for all kinds of sound where alchemy isn't, like heavily filtered sounds. Omni, alchemy and zebra make quite a trio.
Agree, I find that Alchemy sound has a calming - Yin side to it. While the Omnisphere sound has an edgy character, which is more of the Yang side. The Zebra stays in the middle as a neutral supporter, capable of both sides in black and white :)

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm

For anyone who are interested in the drumming or percussive side of U-he synths, we have a nice little chat about U-he Drum Machine in KVR.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 am

agent314 wrote:As far as Zebra vs. Diva, why not download both demos and try them?
I was having a hard time to choose that moment..but finally went the ZebraHZ route, since it has the Diva goodies. But not long after that, I got the Diva and Ace..and looking for the Uhbik right now :mrgreen:

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
crystalmsc wrote:
Alchemy is cool. I prefer it for pads, soundscapes and things that make good use of the remix pads. It too is rather digital, in a different way. It can have a harsh rope end that sounds sort of cheap to me for lead sand such, but nothing beats it for ambient stuff. That's why it's a great compliment to omnisphere, which is great for all kinds of sound where alchemy isn't, like heavily filtered sounds. Omni, alchemy and zebra make quite a trio.

And this was my next question, comparing Alchemy,as it appears to be a capable synth.. but from what I have read , zebra is a bit more conducive to my sounds.... I mean why not have all if you can afford it..

Thanks Glitch for the comparison ..