Delay trick in Live - How?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tobibmusic

Delay trick in Live - How?

Post by tobibmusic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi

Right at the beginning of this track you can hear some effects on the delay of the percussive sound.
https://soundcloud.com/kylediorio-1/axw ... nage-crime

Is this possible with the native Live plugins? I've already tried it with the Grain Delay but I couldn't get it right so any input is appreciated!

Best

chrissobo13

Re: Delay trick in Live - How?

Post by chrissobo13 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 am

I've been able to make sounds like that, but with the arpeggiator midi effect. Put it on an instrument with a poppy sound like that, and set it to "free" instead of "sync". Then attenuate the speed of the arpeggiator and the pitch of the instrument to taste. unfortunately, it is an added part to the music, not a product of it like delay is. Though I'm sure there are other more efficient methods!

FatherSonAndAlcohol

Post by FatherSonAndAlcohol » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:21 pm

You can get this effect using a ping pong delay or a simple delay in Ableton. When you right click the yellow title bar on the device, you'll get a menu with 3 options. For me, it is set to "fade" by default. If you check the "repitch" option, you can automate the delay time to get the effect in the beginning of that song.

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Oh shit I had no idea! I'm gonna start using this now.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm

sounds like a filtered reverb as well, try one of the presets like Oil Can in addition..not hearing a pingpong so much as simple delay...plenty of very good free vst delays out there too

tobibmusic

Post by tobibmusic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Cool thanks, I'll just try it!