What synth with rythmic partsfor a 10 years child to begin?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supamonsta

What synth with rythmic partsfor a 10 years child to begin?

Post by supamonsta » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of offering a synthesizer to my 10 years old nefew for christmas

he likes spending time improvising on my piano when he comes to my house, and he also likes a lot the drums. Last time he really loved using garageband's synth presets to make strange atonal mono/polyrythmic litanies....

I don't know what could be interesting, I think it would be cool that the synth had some rythmic implementation, and also some tools to shape the sounds (perhap's not substractive stuff... but some pots to tweak would be great), some pads to make some drums too...

do you know some synthesizers that could do a decent job with this functions?

cheers

Re: What synth with rythmic partsfor a 10 years child to begin?

Post by 102455 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:40 pm

How much are you prepared to spend?

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm

you might want to consider to give him a second hand laptop, install reaper (it'll cost you 40 dollars) and some freeware plugs, a cheap masterkeyboard... could be more versatile and cheaper or as expensive as a new synth?
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 pm

something really loud and obnoxious that doesn't take headphones, your brother will love you for it. ;) throw in a Pearl drum set while you're at it.

something with lots of pre-baked patterns, an arpeggiator, all that.

there are also cheap as piano style keyboards that teach how to actually play the piano. the keys light up as the songs plays. kids are wired to learn new languages and strict music stuff better than we are. good time to drop a learning tool on him.

what's the budget?

I'd suggest something that doesn't use a computer, we all know what can happen when you sit down to make music on a computer, the internet browser opens up eventually and we lose focus.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

A Monotribe can be had for about $200.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

my $0.02...
the kid is showing aptitude with piano keys, why stifle that with a step sequencer?

I too thought of Electribes, fun, but...
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

an Asr 10, has a nice library and on top of that teach him to sample as well.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

funken wrote:there must be a synth that has a drum machine built in, that would be cool

And a big fuckoff Marshall cab to go with it?
Lol see post above yours! HH SD BD, you all know what that means.
The ribbon controller for a keyboard is a downside to it for sure, but it sets him up with a drum and bass machine.
If he loves music and takes it further this thing is a good add on for a real instrument IMO. Plus it starts the composition idea going. :)

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm

My experience teaching 10 year olds to make music tells me that regardless of what you buy, the biggest key is your on going inspirational involvement. Next in line is simplicity. Thinking processes for 10yr olds are still developing and the multi tasking processing that playing an instrument requires is often the thing that determines the pace at which a student develops. Choice of instrument can also do that. Regarding keys/synths, I have not found one that I would recommend that is stand alone. The most success I have had is with a MIDI controller connected to garageband. I have had some limited success with Steinberg’s Sequel 3 and a bit with Ableton Live. Although the 10yr olds I see enjoy mucking around making instant noise, I have found that it is not until approx 13-14 yrs or more, and under good instruction that they can creatively and thoughtfully begin to interact with such instruments. I see some families where the parents have money to burn. They buy their kids all sorts of quality gear that usually within the year will be sitting in the corner unused. My general advice is always to stick with an acoustic instrument where there is the most intimate involvement to be had. Things ‘electric or synthetic’ always add a layer of potential distraction that can really stall development esp at an early age. Now of course he may be one of those unique individuals where everything comes together early and he is away without the need of very much parental/mentor involvement and this will not matter. However, generally speaking I would say save your money and just give him quality time on your gear when he comes over until he is a bit older, you are likely to have a more powerful impact in the long run that way. YMMV.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 am

hey thanks for all the replies!

indeed this kid is digging improvisation on a keyboard, and has a short attention span, and above all he's not yet able to really learn something too complex.

he's smart but with a big lack of self confidence

I'm looking for something generic, with keys, drum parts (with already made patterns will be good)

kid can't really tell me what music he likes (so sad...),

but he can spend an hour on the piano making strange atonal repetitive melodies...

I won't go the laptop route, the kid is already a video game addict FCS... (so sad too)

budget is nothing high because he may give it up after a few months... (I hope not, and if he still uses it, we'll then think about something more)

I have an old roland E35, but I think it's a bit old, (I have it since, let me calculate... more than 22 years!!)
this kid is a 2012 kid... so I think he'll need something more, hem, fashionable :wink:

my budget then... would be around 150 euros maximum...

thanks again for your interest

cheers

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 am

150 EUR would make 6 good piano lessons.

EDIT: as a voucher, I mean.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 pm

a pair of headphones and that E35 would be a great gift. be sure to spend time with him looking over his should showing him how to get to specific piano and drum sounds. never used that keyboard, just watched some youtube snippets, looks perfect. IMO guitar is easier to learn but piano is the gateway, maybe throw a beginners nylon string guitar at him next year.

are we really already talking about Xmas? sheesh... 8O
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:04 pm

^^ seems like a good idea.

dancing Ray wrote:150 EUR would make 6 good piano lessons.

EDIT: as a voucher, I mean.
^^ was quite OT, sorry.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

login

Post by login » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:43 pm

An ipad loaded with cool music apps and a midi keyboard, could be akai synth station 49.

There are so many iPad apps that are almost like games, from guitar hero like, to sequencers, to percussion interfaces, innovative UI like soundprism, etc.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm

^ that.

starving student wrote:an Asr 10, has a nice library and on top of that teach him to sample as well.
Jebus Kris student! ASR 10s aren't just laying around on store shelves... if you have an extra... send it my way (please). i'll leave it to Supamonsta's nephew in my will.