Best audio interface for latency vs price

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Re: Best audio interface for latency vs price

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 am

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Best bang for buck you'll find.
2 combo Neutrik jack/xlr ins and 2 balanced outs. Decent preamps, bus powered and low latency. 139€

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

Despite all M audio, mostly justified, negativity (build quality, lousy support etc) their drivers were always better then of the competitors.
However I would be sceptical trusting info from Avid retailer - http://store.aavimt.com.au/cat-firewire.cfm
same about dawbench tests ( which are the most popular link send by macphobic/mac haters individuals all over audio related websites) and comparison Mac vs. PC. It is part of their business, PC is what they sell. http://store.aavimt.com.au/cat-ms-core.cfm

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:10 am

rikhyray wrote: Despite all M audio, mostly justified, negativity (build quality, lousy support etc) their drivers were always better then of the competitors.
However I would be sceptical trusting info from Avid retailer - http://store.aavimt.com.au/cat-firewire.cfm
same about dawbench tests ( which are the most popular link send by macphobic/mac haters individuals all over audio related websites) and comparison Mac vs. PC. It is part of their business, PC is what they sell. http://store.aavimt.com.au/cat-ms-core.cfm
i understand what you're saying here rkhyray but vin curigliano sells those soundcards (avid, rme and m-audio 620) because they've done so well in his tests, not the other way around. he was benchmark testing way before he became an avid retailer.

as far as his pc business, well he makes some of the most highly regarded pc audio work stations going around. this is no accident, it's a direst result from the amount of testing he does... and the pride he takes in his work ;)
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 am

lunabass wrote: i understand what you're saying here rkhyray but vin curigliano sells those soundcards (avid, rme and m-audio 620) because they've done so well in his tests, not the other way around. he was benchmark testing way before he became an avid retailer.

as far as his pc business, well he makes some of the most highly regarded pc audio work stations going around. this is no accident, it's a direst result from the amount of testing he does... and the pride he takes in his work ;)
You could reverse your explanation and guess that thanks to those "tests" he got Avid dealership. I read those "test" results when they were published and he compares PCs to Mac running Windows and not OSX- that is simply ridiculous, very primitive way to get "results" that would help sells of his products. That time I did not know he is a pc dealer, which explains everything. All that has as much value as a cancer vs. tobacco smoking tests published by Philip Morris or BAT. Though what this guy is doing is more like KIA dealer trying to show that BMW sucks and dressing it up as "objective" test. Frankly I consider such activities - creating illusion of scientific testing while it is all about sells highly immoral. If he is as good as you say, and his products so excellent he shouldn't need such fake "science".

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 am

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I've never found latency to be the problem as some folks claim.

I've used a couple different audio interfaces since 2005 (including native laptop sound chips) and as long as the audio buffers were no larger than 64 bytes I got acceptable latency for tracking softsynths. When mixing, Ive got no problem cranking the buffers up to give me more CPU headroom.

Nowadays I don't think you can even buy interfaces that don't support direct monitoring for external sources...even those $20 Behringer abominations can do that. If I was anal about timing, I can always nudge tracks in the DAW.

When it comes to interfaces, functionality and quality of sound are all I care about.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I gotta say, the presonus 44VSL looks like a great deal. 4 pre's, 2 of which are mic/instrument. 300 bucks.

Not sure how presonus quality is these days but I used to use the fp10 way back and it wasn't bad at all.

I was also interested in the Motu microbook. Super portable but for 250 and just one preamp it's harder to justify than the 44VSL.
Professional Shark Jumper.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

if you are having latency with anything you simply have not put enough time into getting rid of the latency, or found the right driver and driver settings that will make latency a non-issue

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

simmerdown wrote:if you are having latency with anything you simply have not put enough time into getting rid of the latency, or found the right driver and driver settings that will make latency a non-issue

That's not true, when you need to get down to around 9ms or less total roundtrip to keep from having that echo feeling when tracking vocals through effects, a lot of interfaces won't cut it, no matter what driver or tweaks are used.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm

rikhyray wrote:Despite all M audio, mostly justified, negativity (build quality, lousy support etc) their drivers were always better then of the competitors.
Avid sold M-Audio to Alesis. All Avid branded M-Audio gear is now being sold at dumping prices, because stores are buying up the last stock in bulk.
Should be interesting to see what is going to happen now that Alesis has 3 competing brands selling keyboards, interfaces and monitors.
Akai, Numark, Alesis and M-audio under one roof...

If you have Firewire, TC Konnekt 6 and Impact Twin are definitely recommended.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
rikhyray wrote:Despite all M audio, mostly justified, negativity (build quality, lousy support etc) their drivers were always better then of the competitors.
Avid sold M-Audio to Alesis. All Avid branded M-Audio gear is now being sold at dumping prices, because stores are buying up the last stock in bulk.
Should be interesting to see what is going to happen now that Alesis has 3 competing brands selling keyboards, interfaces and monitors.
Akai, Numark, Alesis and M-audio under one roof...

If you have Firewire, TC Konnekt 6 and Impact Twin are definitely recommended.
They have another cheapo "brand" Icon so 4 competing brands of keyboards, and pads (though Icon is pitched more against Korg Nanos). Agree about TC , specially Konnekt 6 - >400€ sound for 150€, best value for money.