New track, looking for opinions on production quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrissobo13

New track, looking for opinions on production quality

Post by chrissobo13 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 pm

http://soundcloud.com/spiral_minded/work-in-progress2

So this was originally a one minute intro to a different track. I posted the older version on the Link My Music forum, and someone suggested I turn the beginning into one track.

I'm looking for any general input, but mostly on the sound quality. I made a lot or improvements and implemented some newly learned tricks. But I've been sitting with this for about 6 months now, and I really need some outside ears. Thanks!

McQ714

Re: New track, looking for opinions on production quality

Post by McQ714 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Not really sure what you're getting after but here's my honest opinion..

I thought I was listening to some cheap 80s movie score.. especially the drum track. Reminded me of the opening to the movie Rad for some reason, which, I love by the way.
But for a current song, it just seems a little dated.
As far as sound quality goes, the tracks sounded clear but had no emotion, if that makes sense. The drums, for instance, lacked punch.

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:19 am

Loved Rad as a kid, perhaps its a subconscious thing...

But I do get what you're saying. Ironic that you mentioned the drums, as that's what I worked most on to improve. My tracks seem to suffer from lack of drum presence in the mix, usually they get pretty buried in the other instruments. This time I layered three separate kicks and four separate snares, EQed them and added slight compression, to the best of my hearing. They are definitely an improvement to my previous tracks though, but I get how they sound dated.

If anyone has any pointers on this, or can share some helpful tutorials, please feel free!

And thanks for this input!

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:16 pm

ShelLuser wrote:I am wasted (not there yet but getting quite close) at the time of writing. thus got a very open mind right now (no pun intended). Please keep this in mind.

My first thought and I need to stress out that this isn't you: where is the volume control with soundcloud? WTF?! I love their usable players but I'm growing a bit of antipathy against their lack of software volume control (yeah, yeah; I can use my OS for that...).
I know, the one thing about soundcloud that really annoys me! Thanks for the write up, that's all good feedback and exactly what I'm looking for.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:31 pm

The volume control for soundcloud's website is on the upper right...